Upgrading from a NA155 power amp

HI
Is it worthwhile to upgrade from the NAP155 to the NAP200? Does 10 watts per channel really make a difference??

Any opinions would be gratefully received.

Eskay, that depends…

What’s the rest of the system? Remember that system hierarchy is key here - source the most critical followed by the amplification. Regarding the latter, the pre-amp is the more critical component and takes precedent over the power amp - power is nothing without control.

Also, as you move up the range of power amps, differences in performance build own to much more than just a case of the number of watts/channel.

There is also the preamp power supply to consider, and if you are using the built in one in the power amp, that brings further benefits with a 200, and more so with a 200DR.

I use a CDX 2 as my source, and I have two Flatcap XS power supplies. They drive a pair of Vienna Acoustics Haydn SE which are about to be upgraded.

…and which preamp?

… good point-I have a 152XS preamp, and use Naim speaker cable. I have had this system for just over 5 years.

In that case, I would consider a preamp upgrade first. Your source is good enough to justify at least a 202 or 282, and I would suggest that would be the best move to make next.

I went from NAC152XS to NAC202; more bass, better control overall. A worthwhile improvement. I would not do the power amp first. 155 to 200 is less of a difference, I’ve done that too. It’s not about the watts per channel! Preamp first! Get a 282 if you can (I haven’t heard a 282)

I would look at the pre-amp too. I recently heard a 15X (not sure of the exact model) with a 252 and Supercap and it worked very well indeed.

Thank you all for your advice. I will look at upgrading the preamp.

Any recommendations where to buy a preowned one??

… and best place to try and sell my 152 XS?

Anywhere but here*…

Otherwise have a chat with your dealer and see what trade-in allowance they will make for you against a pre-amp upgrade.

*Strictly forbidden here - see forum rules.

I had the same amplification as you have and it’s a very nice balanced system.
I agree that upgrading the pre amp is the way to go. I went to an olive Nac52 with supercap. That was a huge difference in more detail coming through from the recordings. Good luck.

I have the same superb amplifier as you. If I wanted better replay I would upgrade the source that is fed into it. In your case this would be via the addition of an XPS2 to your CD player.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.