Upgrading olive 52

Ring Darran at Class A. Naim authorised service agent.

Hi Dunc,
Mine was circa £350 when Naim Service dept did it 3 years ago

Cheers

I hung on to my 52 far too long. The 252 is in a different league, couldn’t be happier, and never felt the need for an upgrade (apart from DR on the Supercap)

2 Likes

So Huw, you’ve got all the info you need from your serial nos by now, what is your latest thinking?

C.

Re 135s, if still interested in these, have a look at the fishy place…

Sadly not - been out and about preparing for Easter. I will send that email now but I suppose I won’t get a response until after Easter. Thanks for the reminder @Christopher_M.

Just use the telephone :slight_smile:

1 Like

Naim will only be able to tell you about any servicing that was done by them. They won’t know about anything done at Class A (but you could call them too) or any unauthorised service agent.

I’ve got my ticket … so waiting for response

Imagine if you will, a NAC252 and SCDR formulated as a topical cream. Apply liberally, twice daily. Itching stopped in no time :grinning:

1 Like

Jonathan has just got back to me. My memory must be failing me …
It was bought in 1995 and had the pots done in 1997. I thought it was serviced in 2013 along with my amps and supercaps but Naim say it wasn’t.

So if it needs a service what can I replace it with in the meantime? Something that takes a Burndy, so that rules out my ‘qutes? My research so far is not throwing up anything.

You said you were considering a 252. You could ask your dealer for a demo one while the 52 is away for service.

1 Like

I hope that they are more positive than the last time I tried to borrow something

Never do that!

I would suggest definitely service the 52. Get another set of 135 mono’s then you will have a classic big system that not many could match. Introducing Dr into the olives may altar the Synergy, personally I wouldn’t go down that path. It’s not about the noise floor its about the music remember.
After my 52/SC had its service here in NZ by Chris Murphy was a pleasant graduating surprise. it took 3 months to come on song. I long for another set of 135 mono’s so I can go active into my Sl2 speakers. But these things will take time.

1 Like

The old forum had many threads about 282 vs 252 vs 52.

I was one of many people who reached pre-amp upgrade time (from a 32.5/hicap) and tried all 3. The 282 and 252 had black supercaps, the 52 an olive supercap.

The 282 was great with a black hicap and even better with a supercap (all before the days of DR).

The 252 just never made my feet tap and I tried 3 of them in 3 different systems, including at home.

Then I tried the 52 and within a few notes knew that this was the one. It sounded like immersive music, not excellent Hifi.

Several years later I tried a Supercap DR on the 52, comparing it with our recently serviced olive supercap. With the Supercap DR, music notes started and stopped more clearly against a quieter background, so obviously better Hifi. But there was a problem. My foot stopped tapping and music was less involving. Reverting to the serviced olive Supercap brought a slightly fuzzier start and stop for each musical note but the tune started to boogie again (when appropriate!), so we stayed with the olive SC.

Others have tried the SCDR on a 52 and preferred its sonic signature. While I understand why, we prefer the olive SC with a 52.

So Naim’s normal health warning applies: always try before you buy.

Hope this helps, BF

4 Likes

What’s the latest?
C.

Spoke to my dealer today after the Easter break, put in train getting the 52 shipped to Naim.
Hoping to take @Filipe along with me so he can see what dealers can offer.
Thanks for your interest @Christopher_M

And now?..