Upgrading to a Linn Majik

my advice as other suggestions is to go to a good Linn dealer and look at Majik - improved a lot with Karsouel and krane - but IMO still let down by phono still

for instance @Cymbiosis could offer far more music and value for the same price as off the shelf Majik

enjoy the journey

2 Likes

There’s also Audio T in Brighton, who are a good dealer.

3 Likes

Seconded. John knows his lp12s

1 Like

Any thoughts about how a new Lingo IV compares to a used Radikal 1, assuming cost is broadly the same?

Radikal 1 trumps any lingo and you can upgrade it to MK2 version.

Thirded for Audio T in Brighton. They have just spruced up my LP12, including fitting a lovely brand new Te Kaitora Rua (for an XX-2) on my ARO. I haven’t heard it yet, as I’ve had an unhelpful stay in hospital.

A new blue vinyl LP of ‘Grace’ will inaugurate the next phase of my musical journey once I’m discharged (soon!). I had thought of risking a new copy of ‘Animals’, but - given other Members’ woes with that LP - that would just be silly.

Are you home now Graham?

No, sadly, I’m still stuck in the wretched care home. I’m up against the elfin safety brigade, who are professing concern that I may injure myself if I go home by falling down the stairs, or some such twaddle.

If I had a machine gun, I’d gladly use it against some of these these mow-rons. Who knows, I may be killed crossing the road when I get out, but at least I’m outside these now hated walls. As may be apparent, I’m going mad with frustration.

1 Like

I don’t know how old you are Graham but too many people go into those places for a week or two and don’t come out. You can spend hundreds of thousands on some of these places that look fancy enough, but provide absolutely appalling care, and end up becoming more ill than you were when you went in. Better off paying for home help based on what I’ve seen my step father and father-in-law go through in two different homes - and also speaking to other inmates. Obviously I don’t know your specifics but I would try to get the F### out ASAP!! I’ll gladly call you a taxi if you give me the word!

2 Likes

“I’m up against the elfin safety brigade, who are professing concern that I may injure myself if I go home by falling down the stairs, or some such twaddle”.

How bloody rotten, I really feel for you. Has anyone mentioned the words “Occupational Health” to the care home? If they’re worried about your ability to cope in your own home, OH could visit and either provide them with the reassurance they need or arrange for whatever they feel is needed for you to be “safe”. I am not trying to patronise graham55, so apologies if it comes across as such.

Hello Graham , stuck in a hotel room, in a foreign country, in quarantine with a nasty bug and officialdom to deal with, and 1/8 th of a bottle of brandy left.

At least you have somebody to talk to …

But it’s a bugger

Oh and the cattery with the cat in closes on Sunday….

Ian
[/quote]

This is serious!

1 Like

Can you get a stair lift installed ?

You have my absolute sympathy

Thank you, Murmur, John and Ian (and others who have commented elsewhere), that’s very kind. I shall turn 67 at the end of November, and I WILL be back home for that, whatever the medical staff think.

If necessary, I’ll pack my bags and just walk out. My biggest concern is not to damage my two unused, brand new (although 40 year old) Nikon F2 Titans!

There was talk a couple of months back of installing a lift of some sort, but that topic has gone quiet. I really think that these people have tiny minds, and have the attention span of a goldfish.

Anyway, I’ve still got my health (sort of!) and my fighting spirit and I will not let the b***ards grind me down. Too many lovely new LPs (and the perhaps grotty new ‘Animals’ ) to listen to, to justify staying in this grotty (BUPA) place.

4 Likes

That’s a real bummer Graham. As others have said, see if you can engage the community occupational therapy team to evaluate your home, they may well fit a stair lift for you. Meanwhile Nil Carborundum Illegitimum! Take care.

Thank you, Eoink, I think that I have too much stashed away in savings to have any works done from public funds (which I wouldn’t take, if offered, in any event).

I just need to get back home and live my life as I want to. I shouldn’t complain, as I appreciate that the staff here are all doing their best for me, but I’ve never been in this sort of situation before in my life, and I don’t like it. Ultimately, I suppose that there’s not a lot that they can do if I just walk out. We shall see.

Anyway, let’s get back onto the more interesting topic of the lovely music that’s out there for us all. No more, please, about my health.

I am harbouring a perverse notion of plopping the new ‘Animals’ onto the LP12 platter as my first proper music in almost a year, but perhaps that would be a bit silly.

2 Likes

I played a selection of my Desert Island Discs when I got home after just 3 months without music (5 weeks ill at home and 7 weeks in hospital), it was balm for the soul. I’d get musically chilled before trying the Animals pressing lottery. All the best with your escape.

You’re absolutely right, of course, it would be perverse to play ‘Animals’ at all in my first few weeks at hone.

The obvious pick will be a brand new blue vinyl copy of my favourite ever (non-Classical) album, Jeff Buckley’s peerless ‘Grace’.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.