UpNP: Tracks in wrong order in albums (& inadequate app?)

To ensure someone gets a message, put an @ sign before their name - @trickydickie can you help @MC2 ?

I use Phillipe’s lms-to-upnp contained within Logitech Media Server to allow my NDS to use Roon.

It works really well and is 100% reliable as long as I don’t meddle!

What I haven’t done is used Logitech Media Server as the music player, only Roon.

If I were you I would get a decent UPNP server up like Asset and running, configure it correctly and you should find the Naim app more than adequate. It’s certainly quick and easy to find your local music.

Of course if you use streaming services and fancy the aggregation of you local and streamed library along with excellent music discovery and a more modern, rich interface Roon will give you this and used with lms-to-upnp it provides an excellent way to modernise a legacy streamer.

Wow and as if by magic, up he pops!
Thanks @gadgetman.

@trickydickie
Thanks. The holy grail for me is to use LMS to control the NDX and as I have just learnt that Phillipe’s LMS/UnPN plugin has lots of parameters I am going to have a fiddle to see if I can get to work.

I am wedded to LMS, especially as I currently use it to control over 25 devices and it has been so compfrehensively updated recently (includes Spotify, Tidal integration, split library view and a super-duper new Material web skin)… oh, and it’s free! :-).
Roon is a route I definitely do not want to take…

And I think it does all this…

“Of course if you use streaming services and fancy the aggregation of you local and streamed library along with excellent music discovery and a more modern, rich interface Roon will give you this and used with lms-to-upnp it provides an excellent way to modernise a legacy streamer.”

That’s a lot of rooms you must have. How is your Mum the Queen :blush:

It feels like it should work, it’s the primary aim of the plugin and keeping everything within LMS should be simpler.

Firstly you need to create the config file, if using LMS then you can access this in the plugin’s config page. Click on the create button.

When it’s done this a list of discovered players should appear lower down the page.

Note: you won’t need the extra command line options as this is used to point the plugin to my Roon server.

Here are the device specific settings for my NDS, not that much has been changed.

As you have 25 devices you may find that you need to keep the common configuration simpler and then apply specific settings per device. For example the max sampling rate and codex supported could be moved from common settings to each device if required.

What I have shown you work for Roon. Roon sees lms-to-upnp as a Squeezelite device.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

That’s great. Thanks very much indeed! Will have a fiddle after a sausage sandwich.

I found this which also indicates it will work:

I do have a lot of players, some are Google Nest devices, some are TVs with Chromecast, a few Chromecast Audios, and each outbuilding has a Squeezebox driven sound-system of some sort)… oh, and I have teenagers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, curiosity got the better of me!

I can now play internet radio from within Logitech Media Server to my NDS but initially found that my devices did not show up.

This was resolved by checking this box in the plugin settings and restarting.

Once I had done this then the players showed up thus so.

Thanks for that @trickydickie, but stopping the castbridge plugin, ticking that box and restarting did not add the NDX as a player LMS. :frowning:

There are some things about what you’ve done that has confused me.
Why is your Naim device not listed in the LMS device drop down?
Why is it called Naim Radio in the main LMS screen?

In the NDX interface I have named the NDX as Lounge Hifi (and the Windows 10 UpNP library is named Music Server/Music). I only want to stream from LMS to the NDX… so basically the NDX becomes a dumb LMS player. For the life of me I can’t see how anything called ‘Naim Radio’ could fit this scenario.

My Naim NDS is called ‘Sitting Room’. If you refer to my screenshots you will see that the plugin discovered this device. When I enabled the option ‘Use LMS Interface and start from port’ and restarted the server (LMS) it appeared in LMS along with the other devices that I had enabled following discovery.

Naim Radio is the radio station I was using to test. I don’t have LMS pointed at a music library as I use Roon so I added the Naim Radio station in and managed to play it.

1 Like

OK. Have a had a good fiddle now and it always fails at the first hurdle. ‘Generate’ does not create a config file. The NDX is just not found. I checked it is switched on and input is set to UpNP. I’ve rebooted and restarted all I can too. Apart from contacting Phillipe (who I know does not relish user support) I am at a bit of a loss about what else I can do.

Hmmm. Philippe has helped out both my brother and myself with the ChromeCast Plug-in. See, e.g., message 1796 of the ChromeCast thread on the Squeezebox forum. This is one of several questions from me that he answered over the past several years.

Well, it’s just started to work and now Lounge hifi is listed as a player. Nope, no idea why.

So now I’m looking to configure it. And again I’m stumped. There is a Naim Unity2 example config file which I’ve selected and applied… with no real idea how similar the Unity2 is to the NDX, but I do notice that it’s set to use 16bit. As I have 24/96 files and ASFAIK the NDX can handle these that doesn’t seem like the idea setting, but it’s all a bit beyond me.

Simply, my music is almost all held as anally-tagged flac (some MP3), some of it is 24/94 but most redbook CD (or SACD). I’d like the best quality at the Naim end. My NDX is wired and the network to it seems quite robust.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.!

Set it the same as my screenshots and all should be well. The NDX and NDS behave in the same way. The player profiles are not really correct.

Thanks. Have emulated all your settings exactly but one (see later) and although the player exists in LM and both flacs and MP3s appear to play all is silent at the NDX end. An odd thing though, when the track appearing to play gets towards the end it appears to continually skip back a few seconds… and then continue playing… so it never gets to the next track.

The setting I’ve not used is the ‘Extra command line option’. I did try it with the IP of the NDX but then the player disappeared from the LMS player list.

Jut out of interest. What you would you expect to see on the NDX screen (or on the Naim app)? I have the screen/input set to UnPN and it shows text saying it can’t find a UpNP server (which is not surprising as I’ve turned the Windows 10 UpNP server off).

I use a Windows 10 machine as my server running Asset UPnP. Also Serviio does the job. Both excellent.

1 Like

I’m using the ChromeCast plug-in, so I do not know if my experiences are relevant, but for what it’s worth:

I often (but not always) find that the volume for my ChromeCast players resets itself to zero when I pause (or “turn off”) my ChromeCast players. Could that be what’s happening?

In the past, my ChromeCast Audio players would sometimes restart tracks or jump to the end of tracks or even skip tracks. In at least some instances this was not caused by LMS as I had the same problem using JRiver and BubbleUPnP. The solution to that problem is found in the exchange I mentioned above - Transcode everything to FLAC and select “Flow.” Not perfect, but satisfactory as my main listening systems did not utilize the plug-in. BTW - JRiver could not offer a solution.

UPnP (DLNA) is just the protocol.
Naim app will show (perfectly) whatever the server software (say Asset UPnP or Serviio) generates.
Certainly no speed or functionality issues. I have 22,000 flac tracks on my server.
Serviio is free or $25 one-off registered to answer another question.

For early Naim streamers (including MuSo 1st gen etc. ) best to use Asset and convert flac files to wav on the fly.
This is not necessary on the modern Naim streamers which can now play flac perfectly.

Most developers I’ve conversed with about streaming protocols say UpNP is a sloppily specified protocol with security issues and prefer to use almost anything else for streaming.

Certainly the slimproto streaming protocol is more stable, more fully featured and secure to boot.

Thanks @jegreenwood. I use the ChromeCast plugin for many devices with no issues at all (have never come across the volume one either). I’ve not tried the Flow method but from what I read it’s not for me. I think I’d prefer to running a Touch into the NDX.

I’d be pretty happy enough if I could get it to run like my Chromecast screen devices though. I’m sure it will. I’m probably just doing something really stupid.

Mine just displays ‘Streaming from LMS’ and the bit rate.

1 Like