UpNP: Tracks in wrong order in albums (& inadequate app?)

OK. Have a had a good fiddle now and it always fails at the first hurdle. ‘Generate’ does not create a config file. The NDX is just not found. I checked it is switched on and input is set to UpNP. I’ve rebooted and restarted all I can too. Apart from contacting Phillipe (who I know does not relish user support) I am at a bit of a loss about what else I can do.

Hmmm. Philippe has helped out both my brother and myself with the ChromeCast Plug-in. See, e.g., message 1796 of the ChromeCast thread on the Squeezebox forum. This is one of several questions from me that he answered over the past several years.

Well, it’s just started to work and now Lounge hifi is listed as a player. Nope, no idea why.

So now I’m looking to configure it. And again I’m stumped. There is a Naim Unity2 example config file which I’ve selected and applied… with no real idea how similar the Unity2 is to the NDX, but I do notice that it’s set to use 16bit. As I have 24/96 files and ASFAIK the NDX can handle these that doesn’t seem like the idea setting, but it’s all a bit beyond me.

Simply, my music is almost all held as anally-tagged flac (some MP3), some of it is 24/94 but most redbook CD (or SACD). I’d like the best quality at the Naim end. My NDX is wired and the network to it seems quite robust.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.!

Set it the same as my screenshots and all should be well. The NDX and NDS behave in the same way. The player profiles are not really correct.

Thanks. Have emulated all your settings exactly but one (see later) and although the player exists in LM and both flacs and MP3s appear to play all is silent at the NDX end. An odd thing though, when the track appearing to play gets towards the end it appears to continually skip back a few seconds… and then continue playing… so it never gets to the next track.

The setting I’ve not used is the ‘Extra command line option’. I did try it with the IP of the NDX but then the player disappeared from the LMS player list.

Jut out of interest. What you would you expect to see on the NDX screen (or on the Naim app)? I have the screen/input set to UnPN and it shows text saying it can’t find a UpNP server (which is not surprising as I’ve turned the Windows 10 UpNP server off).

I use a Windows 10 machine as my server running Asset UPnP. Also Serviio does the job. Both excellent.

1 Like

I’m using the ChromeCast plug-in, so I do not know if my experiences are relevant, but for what it’s worth:

I often (but not always) find that the volume for my ChromeCast players resets itself to zero when I pause (or “turn off”) my ChromeCast players. Could that be what’s happening?

In the past, my ChromeCast Audio players would sometimes restart tracks or jump to the end of tracks or even skip tracks. In at least some instances this was not caused by LMS as I had the same problem using JRiver and BubbleUPnP. The solution to that problem is found in the exchange I mentioned above - Transcode everything to FLAC and select “Flow.” Not perfect, but satisfactory as my main listening systems did not utilize the plug-in. BTW - JRiver could not offer a solution.

UPnP (DLNA) is just the protocol.
Naim app will show (perfectly) whatever the server software (say Asset UPnP or Serviio) generates.
Certainly no speed or functionality issues. I have 22,000 flac tracks on my server.
Serviio is free or $25 one-off registered to answer another question.

For early Naim streamers (including MuSo 1st gen etc. ) best to use Asset and convert flac files to wav on the fly.
This is not necessary on the modern Naim streamers which can now play flac perfectly.

Most developers I’ve conversed with about streaming protocols say UpNP is a sloppily specified protocol with security issues and prefer to use almost anything else for streaming.

Certainly the slimproto streaming protocol is more stable, more fully featured and secure to boot.

Thanks @jegreenwood. I use the ChromeCast plugin for many devices with no issues at all (have never come across the volume one either). I’ve not tried the Flow method but from what I read it’s not for me. I think I’d prefer to running a Touch into the NDX.

I’d be pretty happy enough if I could get it to run like my Chromecast screen devices though. I’m sure it will. I’m probably just doing something really stupid.

Mine just displays ‘Streaming from LMS’ and the bit rate.

1 Like

UPnP (DLNA) protocol IS rather loose and implemented somewhat erratically and differently by firms.
However it is simple, widely used, and works surprisingly well.
Security issues are better resolved with other security and anti-virus products.
Never had an issue in five plus years.

Thanks @trickydickie.

I have just revisited this to thread to sort out an issue so thought I’d leave a summary.

With Phillipe’s UPnP/DNLA plugin Logitech Media Server (LMS now drives my NDX perfectly. I prefer it to using a UPnP server as I benefit from the great stability and enhanced functionality of LMS (including the multiple library function which is very important to me).

I don’t use the Naim interfaces at all (not the Naim app or the screen on the NDX, which to me seem limited and awkward) but control the music from any Internet connected device (most often an Android phone running either Orange Squeeze app or the LMS web interface with the very cool Material Skin plugin). I also run a Logitech Touch next to my hifi which shows what’s playing and allows me to control the music via the touch screen or the remote). So I am very happy.

One thing that has worried me a little, and made me wonder whether I’m doing the right thing, is that the Touch fed into my NAC 82 sounds very close to the NDX, the sound is just a tiny bit ‘harder’ and the SB+ (a Squeezebox Classic heavily modified along Naim lines) sounds just as good, but as it doesn’t handle 24/192 encoding so does not suit me).

Sadly none of these streamers sound as sweet as a turntable or even a CDX but I can’t see my way to buying LPs at those crazy prices or reverting to CDs. :frowning:

Again, thanks for everyone’s help.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.