Uptone etheregen in the chain experiences

Your modem has only 1 Ethernet port?
If more than 1, you could go straight from modem to ER/ lps, and another Ethernet cable from modem to Gs108 for non audio components.
A Blue Jeans 8 m would not cost a lot.

modem has more than one ethernet socket, issue is the cable run to the ER (8m already ran through/in wall and under carpets, and is non starter to move without doing some serious damage to the living room)

best can do is Modem > GS108 Switch with LPS > ER will try that first then sure will get the ER an LPS down the line and at some point swap out the GS108 with maybe another ER/ or EE switch

if i did get another ER / EE switch i could then use the GS108 LPS to power the modem i guess

but having recently ordered a DAVE that will be some time down the line :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I had Cascade Ciscos, it sounded better than Cisco alone. However netgear gs105 and one Cisco in cascade sounded worth than Cisco alone.
Then Cisco and ER in cascade sounded worth than ER alone.

2 Likes

I understand now. Itā€™s a wall issue holes problem. All is clear now.
So eventually get a second ER in the future, to replace the Netgear by it, as you said.

1 Like

FR how would you describe adding the MCRU LPS to the ER sound quality wise?

If you want to read the previous thread, I reported my impressions next after having bought it: Listening impressions for linear ps and switches thread.

Globally the sound became more clear, open, softer, nicer, better detailed, with more focus, better defined bass and extended instruments. And much of all: more analog like. More natural, just right.

3 Likes

I have today installed an ER into my system. Previous set up was Modem/Cisco2960/Cisco2960/Melco N1/ND555.

After reading others experiences I have initially gone with Modem/ER/Melco/555 by passing Cisco switches and initial impressions are favourable, lower noise floor, improved clarity around vocals and instruments. I have also read that the ER takes a while to give of its best.

I could try Router/Cisco/ER/Melco/555 but maybe my present set up is optimumā€¦ weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

I almost pulled the trigger on an ER, but took advice and bought my second 555 ps for the nd555. I had gone as far as talking to Andy at Signals about the timing of their Plixir power supplies to coincide with the ER purchase, they have a special component low noise 2A supply for switches. Once it has settled in might be worth borrowing a Plixir? Anyhow interested in how it pans out for you, its on my radaršŸ˜

1 Like

Adding a different power supply sure makes for a very expensive switchā€¦ you could go on for ever!!!

1 Like

Yes, it would beā€¦but cheap compared to a Melco switch and a Plixir psu. Got the impression that Signals were not bowled over by the Melco until they put a Plixir psu on it.

I agree, but adding a good psu to the switch is even a bigger uplift vs the switch itself.
For me at least.

2 Likes

Talking of disproportionate costs I am having a DC3 Power Supply built currently and its turned into a total custom job! I have managed to add about Ā£1k of upgrades to the basic unit! It will have 3 outputs so I can power a few items but at the moment it will just be used for 1x ER switch and the D100 ripper (until the job is done!)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the world of tweaking!

2 Likes

my ER sound improved again after few weeks, seemed to become that bit smoother. people right in that it seems to have a long burn-in period. so worth bearing in mind before changing the set up

i have mine going from modem to switch then ER currently (would like to try direct from modem to ER but not option at the minute due to cable locations), intend to get a PSU for it next then maybe a second ER to cascade and eliminate the swithchā€¦as you say it never endsā€¦ :smile:

I am now 26 hours in and the sound has become more detailed since yesterday so I can hear things are moving along nicely with more to come then. Your advice not to change anything is good and I will leave things as they are. Frenchrooster and others report that they prefer this configuration rather than cascading from another switch, DB is enjoying his 2 Cisco set up before the ER so I guess it boils down to system dependency and personal preferences in the end. Itā€™s a fascinating road to travel and your future experiences with the addition of a better power supply will be interesting.

2 Likes

I am 48 hours into adding the etherRegen into my system, which is a Novaā€¦ I have the eR switch with my Orbi mesh satellite and Innuos Zen MK III and Apple TV 4K running into the ā€œAā€ side with the ā€œBā€ side running into the Nova via a WireWorld Starlight 8 ethernet cable. I am using the stock PSU so no additional upgrades at this time.

I definitely noticed an immediate change in the sound with the Nova - I would say the impact was very close to moving from one good DAC to another slightly better DAC; there is audibly more space in the mix, with a slightly larger soundstage and to my surprise a higher soundstage - cymbal hits, percussion effects etc seem to come from a higher sound plane than before.

At first it seemed as though it tamed the bass somewhat. I have excellent bass currently from my Nova and Volti Rival speakersā€¦ integrating the eR sounded like it reined in the bass somewhat. However it actually just tightened and focused the bass - the depth/range of the bass is still there, when playing lower sub-bass tracks.

The biggest shocker was that I had ā€œBillie Jeanā€ in my queue (a DSD file) and I was busy reading my iPad or somethingā€¦ but when that song kicked in with the sudden kick drum/snare intro and then the stereo ā€œch, ch, chā€ effect coming through both speakers it nearly knocked me out of my chair. It was more powerful and larger and hit harder than I had ever heard before.

Iā€™m still on the fence about investing in other LPS and external clocks, as those become very expensive tweaks very quickly, and it seems like Iā€™d be better off spending thousands on upgrading the Nova itself rather than all the extra boxes trying to get a cleaner signal into the streamer.

6 Likes

Some say that spending 500 / 600 euros on a switch is too much. But for me itā€™s quite a box upgrade.
The effect is like adding an hicap to a SN or superline.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.