USB stick into Naim streamer VS uPnp streamer

Ask @BertBird

Well it doesn’t look like the USB stick will be a solution. The sound quality is just fine.
The problem is the NDX2’s buffer seems to have a limit. I loaded over 600 albums successfully on the USB stick. But, the NDX2 could only index 510 of them and just stopped. I am also missing some album art for some albums. It seems to be related to memory. There does seem to be a maximum quantity playable by USB.

Another weird thing is I cannot get the NDX2 to “forget” the albums when I remove the USB stick. I tried closing the app and shutting down the NDX2, but it doesn’t work. It seems to have kept the albums in memory (but of course they won’t play without the USB stick).

1 Like

The NDX2 should have no problem indexing a library of that size. There may be something about the format of the music files or artwork that it doesn’t like. What format are they stored in?

That’s good to hear. I have an NDS, and I love the sound of it. Very smooth, very clear, excellent stage and instrument placement. I’m using a Cisco 2960 and all high quality BJC cables, but possibly I should try the Shunyata, or the Catsnake cable that Nigel has mentioned.
I’ll be moving within 2 years, so I may just wait till then and maybe get an EtherRegen, and get the correct cable lengths.

1 Like

Mostly aiff and some FLAC.

Wasn’t that fixed in the recent App update
Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 09.33.44

Not quite the same as your issue, but worth checking you are up-to-date

Thanks, but my NDX2 is up to date.

Strange, but although I removed the USB stick yesterday, the app still shows all the albums indexed as if the USB stick was still plugged in. Very strange. I have turned off the NDX2 and the app but nothing changes.

Try resetting the cache or do a factory reset. Gotta be worth a try because it is such a convenient way of storing music.

I did everything except a factory reset. I was hoping to avoid doing that…

The strange thing is, if I access the USB port through USB in the app, it works correctly. The indexed albums only remain when I access the USB port through servers in the app.

When the NDX2 was indexing the albums on the USB stick last night, I got an error message and that is when it stopped indexing. I believe it was a 507 gateway error. It seems to have “stuck” the info into the server mode, even when I pull out the USB stick.

I finally fixed it! I turned the NDX2 off for several minutes, Upon rebooting, the server mode is correctly displaying no albums as it should.

Now, I am going to put the USB stick back in, and hope it properly indexes all of the albums.

The USB input on the app indexes all of the albums instantly from the USB stick (but without album art and in a less user friendly way). The server input on the app takes forever to index the albums.

It does but just be patient and within a few hours you’ll be cooking with gas. Worth it for the album art. No point having a nice display if you can’t have the option to use it.

I agree about the display. I will be patient.

Does the server input have to index the albums only when you pull out the stick? Does it stay indexed if I change input (for example I switch to Tidal)?

I’m actually a bit ocd with album art tbh and must have something to display that isn’t the Naim default ? When art is missing.

I understand. I worked hard when ripping my CDs to make sure all my albums had the album art. I hate seeing a skeleton in the place of an album.

Using Tidal and Qobuz shouldn’t have any effect on the server art or indexing as it’s separate. The only thing is that when you take out the usb stick be prepared to have to wait for the indexing to start again. At least that’s what happens on my Nova.

Thanks. I don’t buy much music these days thanks to Tidal. I won’t be pulling it out often.

If all albums are properly indexed. I will go back to listening tests. I might also plug an Audioquest Jitterbug between the NDX2 and the USB stick, to see if it improves the sound.

I don’t think you’ll hear a difference between the usb and Tidal/Qobuz as the streaming is so well implemented by Naim. I’ve had a good listen between them and I can’t hear any difference on the Nova. Your NDX2 will be more resolving, so I’ll be interested in your findings on any SQ differences. The nice thing about the server is that when your internet is down you can still enjoy music uninterrupted and I actually use it in preference just in case of an outage.
Just a word of caution, if you make playlists, make sure you have separate server and Tidal playlists as I don’t think you can mix them. I tried with Qobuz and I couldn’t. I seem to remember that at the time it crashed the app and when I mentioned it to Will on the beta forum he said it wasn’t possible to mix them. A bit annoying but better to know that in advance than have your carefully curated playlist go AWOL during a :tada:.

1 Like

400 albums out of over 600 indexed. Going good so far. Last night I was jumping around the indexed albums and playing tracks while the NDX2 was indexing the albums from the USB stick. Maybe this is why I got an error message and the indexing stopped.

I am hands off now until it is complete!

That’s an interesting idea and I’d like to know if it does. I have an Audioquest Dragonfly red that I use to listen to music etc on my MacBook and I did think about getting a jitterbug at the time and decided not to. If you notice any differences you may just have twisted my arm as they’re not expensive.