Use a MuSo 2 without an internet connection?

If I’m stranded in some godforsaken place with no internet (but with electrical power) can I use a MuSo 2, say with Bluetooth or local music?

If I’ve overlooked the answer, I apologize.

I use muso similarly on occasion.
Connect phone to muso with 3.5 headphone lead, and simply use Spotify on the phone

1 Like

Think you may have not thought that through. Spotify…no internet? :thinking:

1 Like

I guess the simple answer is to unplug the router cable and see. I would expect the local network to stay in tact, and therefore it should work - but needs a test

1 Like

I would assume you could still plug a usb device into the Muso or Bluetooth music stored on your phone?

1 Like

@jegreenwood
An internet connection is not required for local streaming. Some ISP routers can cause issues by repeatedly rebooting if an internet connection can’t be made.

Are you permanently without an internet connection?

1 Like

Right now just a theoretical question.

The reason I ask is if you ditch the ISP router you’ll need another way of managing DHCP requests and leases.
Just unplug your router’s internet connection and see if all continues to work ok or drops to a reboot strategy.

1 Like

Need to build up the courage to shut down all those connections. :grin:

Actually, I recall from the past that when my ISP connection was down, my router continued to work locally.

Can’t the Spotify app download tracks in advance for offline playing?

1 Like

No need to shut down anything, simply remove the WAN wire. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Understood, but that still means a lot of things won’t work. :scream: And who knows which ones (if any) won’t be happy when I reconnect.

As I said, at this point it’s just a theoretical issue. I’ll wait. But thanks.

You don’t need internet to use a Muso, you can still stream from a NAS on your network or cable directly to the Muso.

1 Like

wouldn’t you need a RJ45 crossover cable for that to work?

1 Like

I don’t know what that means. I know that when my internet goes down I can still stream my local music. No extra cables required.

If you are going through a Switch or Hub or RJ45 post on the back of a Router, then it should, but if you take a standard network cable and run it between two devices, it probably wont work.

Providing the router continues to work without a WAN connection then any devices on your LAN will work as normal unless they are internet dependent.

1 Like

ISP modem is connected to the router. Then a catalyst switch is connected to the router and my NAS is on that switch. Streamer is on a second catalyst switch that is connected POE to the first switch. I can disconnect the modem from the router and the rest of the network still functions without a hitch.

1 Like

Not if there’s a 4G signal that the phone could use.

1 Like

In that case, one could switch on the phone’s hotspot functionality and not bother with the 3.5 mm cable but use wifi from the Mu-so as well

2 Likes