Use (and Useability Issues) of the Naim app (IOS and Android)

The thread is of course, I just meant I wouldn’t like to ask in the beta thread regarding an issue for which I cannot answer any questions as I don’t have it.

1 Like

I had problems with iPad and Android applications until I installed MinimServer on my NAS.
Now both work just fine and I have no issues.
However I only use locally stored music and Internet radio. I do not use subscription services like Tidal

1 Like

It has been brought to the attention of the developers. I found an apparently non-functional option in the Android app, so this was a reasonable opportunity to mention the Share button on iOS too

1 Like

@LJS, how many Qobuz favorites do you have? I have approx 2,500 albums and at least part of the unresponsiveness I am experiencing has been traced to this rather high number. Would this explain yours too?

As somebody who uses Android devices and have previously posted that I have no problems with responsiveness with any of them when using the Naim app perhaps I should qualify that by saying that although I use Qobuz I have a grand total of zero albums in favourites and zero custom playlists. I use Qobuz to listen to albums and use search to find what I want to play

1 Like

There is now a separate thread for feature requests, so would probably help keeping things tidy by posting issues here and the requests over there:

1 Like

:+1: So I think we are getting somewhere

1 Like

I have about 2750 Qobuz albums. So that may be part of the issue.

By the way: I have noticed that not all my Qobuz albums make it into Naim favourites, only about a 1000 of the “youngest” do. And if I remove one of those from Qobuz, one more “older” Qobuz album is included in my Naim favourites.

1 Like

Ok I said the app was better at connecting during certain betas. Well I just remembered at that point I had most inputs turned off including all streaming services. As I have had to reset the unit many times during beta testing I had not put it back to as it was. So I just systematically turned them off and then back on. Without Qobuz it connects instantly, with it enabled slow to connect. I have over 2k of albums So there we have it, it had to do with Qobuz connection perhaps the authorisation is needed each time app opens and this is just slow to perform.

1 Like

I agree showing both versions without being able to distinguish is annoying. Ideally just show one, or at least mark them somehow. Think it’s worth filing a bug report for, have you done so already?

I’ve suggested before they just open up / document their API’s, but not much enthusiasm.

I guess for them it means that they would have to clean them up, and make sure they remain stable, which is now not required as they fully control both ends.

2 Likes

Yes i think it’s a political decision, and i think it’s too bad because involving the community in the app ecosphere can really help to increase enthousiasm for the product.

BluOS (Bluesound, NAD, Dali) does offer API documentation: https://bluos.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Custom-Integration-API-v1.0_Dec_2020.pdf

1 Like

It’s a bit of an old fashioned way of looking at things, hopefully in the future they’ll come around. (I think they’ll need to)

1 Like

@n-lot I wholeheartedly agree with this - I’ve actually begun to scrape calls that are made from the app just to try and find the endpoints themselves. Having some API documentation wouldn’t necessarily make the apps better, but would help techy users work out what the app is actually designed to support (or not support).

Well, same here: just 5 favourites (radio stations) and zero playlists. Qobuz subscription. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 (2016) model SM-T580 with Android 8.1.0 and I’m having most of the problems reported here: app stopping, not responding, slowly responding, slow to find my NX2. I can’t wait to have saved enough to buy a Nucleus with Roon. Otherwise very happy with my NX2.

Sorry, I meant SX2…

Are you also logged into Qobuz or Tidal and have quite many favorites?

My current problem is that favourites is limited to a (in my view) small number of entries. With some 2700 albums selected in Qobuz, favourites only has about 1000 entries. The oldest Qobuz drop off the favourites list! When one deletes a newish entry from the favourites list, an older Qobuz album is added. When a new favourite is added, the oldest entry drops from the favourites list.

This is confirmed by Naim support, who had the balls to state that I was using the Naim app incorrectly. I should not have that “enormous” number of albums in Qobuz. In order to use the aim app, I should manage my music library differently.

Since that obnoxious reply, I have been experimenting with ROON. Works like a charm for anything related to music library management.

Unfortunately, using ROON to play from Qobuz to NDX2 gives loss in sound quality. Did a single blind test, and could clearly identify roon playback versus Naim play que playback: 10 out of 10 correctly identified.

I am blocked by the (very) poor quality of SW development in the NAIM app. The NDX2 produces great sound, but getting it to play the song I want with optimal sound quality is a nightmare.

Whaaat? I didn’t notice this, but I didn’t check either. The answer by support is ridiculous. I have the same number of favorites in the Qobuz app (obviously), and previously in the Tidal app, and also in the Bluesound app with Tidal (but no Qobuz then), and not have/had this issue or the unresponsiveness anywhere.

That said, whatever the support said, I am not getting this vibe at all in the beta group!

I also switched to Roon simply because managing a large number of favs is impossible in any other app I tried. I can hear no difference, there is no technical reason for a difference, and Naim people stated that it’s highly optimized and there should be none. Do you have weird DSP settings, or volume leveling enabled in Roon (which should hardly make a difference in SQ, but lowers the volume generally, which may sound worse)

I sympathise with Naim here - 2700 albums is more like an entire collection, a library, rather than favourites. The Naim app simply isn’t designed to work how you want it to. Whether it should be is another debate entirely.