Use (and Useability Issues) of the Naim app (IOS and Android)

That is what everyone says, until the day they discover what the issue was.

3 Likes

Huawei P20 Pro - Android 10
Huawei P30 Pro - Android 10
Google Pixel C tablet- Android 8
Huawei Meidapad M5 tablet - Android 9

Heck, I even installed it recently on an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k for giggles and that worked fine too

You can sort by date added with oldest first and newest first. Go to Albums > More > sort menu top right > Date added. Do it again and it reverses. Note the direction of the arrow

Jesus. I have been working in computing for 25 years. There is a modern Fritz.box router > Cat6a > 8switch > NDX2. The unsrepsonsive mobile has 5 GHz with 800 Mbits. The internet connection is 250 Mbit/s. I am the only person in my household and there is a very small number of devices, only one of which is typically in active use at any one time. There is no MAC filtering, firewalling, etc.
And if you read the facts I posted (which is a prerequisite to understanding computer problems) the other mobile has no issue. Network my ***)

No other device ever has any problem in my network and this is because there are none. Naim support did a network scan and found no problem.

You know, Naim is great and all, but it’s not always the fault of the whole world rather than Naim gear

Edit: And IF there was a “problem” for the app, then Naim needs to learn to work in bog-standard consumer home networks because this is what people have

2 Likes

does that not sort of suggest that the Samsung tablet is the problem?

1 Like

I think you are talking about Android devices? My comments, which you could go back and read if you wanted to, were about IOS devices running the Naim app and weren’t addressed to you.

But since you raise the point, I quite often see people reporting discovery problems with Fritzbox-based networks. So I reckon that’s your problem too.

On a positive note a Lenovo Tab 10 works fine is is quick to load and respond.

This is with a Virgin Media router.

That is the standard answer from Naim. As i have No other apps or appliences that suffer the same problem, i consider that to be BS.

Fine, whatever.

1 Like

Like I wrote above. It may be the case that the app and this model or just my device have a problem. But then as already posted in this thread there are others with the same problem, like the OP. In other threads where I posted about it, other people said the same in the past.

This particular Samsung has no problem with any other app, such as Roon or Bluesound, which does more or less exactly the same thing as the Naim app.

If is was just my particular device - so be it. But I doubt it. And if it is this Samsung model as such, then it is a problem because this one is one of maybe 3 or so current 10" tablet models with Android 10 that even exist

1 Like

Ok so there is a REST API that allows you to connect to the streamer from any app and control the device. This means that with some effort it would be fairly straightforward to create a separate app and/or interface to improve where the default app is lacking.

I have thought it before to start on this, but it would require quite a bit of time to recreate all the functionality that is available in the stock app, so i’ve refrained from it so far. But it’s there as an option to consider.

1 Like

Yes I did write about Android, but you replied to me with this sentence:

(link: Use (and Useability Issues) of the Naim app (IOS and Android))

I also have a Samsung tablet with Android 10 and i don’t experience the slowdowns, i am not using Qobuz though so the situation is not completely similar.

Aha. Well if this exists then Naim should fix it, frankly. Yes, even if the Fritzbox has an issue (which I doubt very much) as nobody else seems to have a problem with it.

Anyways, before I had the Fritzbox I had the default router that comes with the Vodafone contract. App had exactly the same problem. I switched to the Fritzbox as one of many attempts to work around the issue.

But I have the solution anyway, I just don’t use the Naim app but Roon, which surprisingly works just like everything else does in my problem-riddled network

Thanks, which model if I may? Mine is the Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019), model SM-T510

I have the Tab S7+ (2020), model SM-T970

Thanks you both!

Very good suggestion thank you, BUT: I believe you may be referring to the Naim preferences.
Under Qobuz> myAlbums> more I do not see such possibilities. One can filter an any word in title and performener, but that is it. BTW strange that such a filter in not present in preferences, is it not?

You suggestion did make me investigate further: Preferences> Albums> More> “oldest first” indeed shows quite easily which are the oldest Qobuz albums present in that list, and there are quite a lot albums missing (a thousand or so, difficult to see in detail)!

It’s hit and miss the app that’s for sure. Android user here on Pixel 4. It crashes a lot and gets stuck from time to time. Discovery is slow compared to other apps. There was a time after beta 2 of 3.5 firmware where it was connecting almost instantly then that all changed with the last 4 betas and it’s now back to being slow to discover my Atom. I think the app also updated during that period do not sure if it’s down to that or not hard to tell.

There a number of issue with settings in the app that don’t update once set them and you see them as they where before changing. You have to leave that area and come back to double check its what you set. This has been repeated by support so hopefully will get fixed.

I really don’t understand why search only searches Tidal and Qobuz. I expected it to search UPnP servers to but it doesn’t. Does it search if the Atom is the server? This is annoying having to go to another area to search for music.

Android itself does seem to suffer from discovery issues a lot. I found Samsung devices to be amongst the worst. I think its down to the network stack and dealing with multicasts especially with certain router combinations they just block them. Android 11 seems to very problematic with Samsung and Roon currently. Currently though I don’t experience any issues other than the Naim app being slow, Roon, Bubbleupnp, Mconnect, Plex, Google Home have no issues at all with device discovery.

2 Likes

I find the Naim excuse that is being supported by some here, that it is the network, a bit weak. If this is the case how do all the other apps and appliances people have connected manage to work fine on their networks when Naim equipment does not?

3 Likes