Used Naim DAC

+1. One grounded, everything else float. I made this mistake at the outset.

1 Like

I didnā€™t go the Power Supply route with my Ndac. Rather tricking it up with fancy Nordost cables.
I would guess to be the same Ā£Ā£Ā£ outlay.
Would be very interesting to compare +PS and stock cables vs my version. :wink:

I would say not, because you use an external ps. But would ask Naim however.
Maybe @NeilS .

1 Like

Flash and dash cables do not make a fundamental difference to how the DAC operates. An external PSU essentially changes how the internal operate.

Big wheels and go faster stripes wonā€™t make any difference to how much power a car has.
:yum:

2 Likes

It does sound good without the PS IMHO. Iā€™m trying to keep AAS ( Audio Acquisition Syndrome) or Upgradeitus at bay.

My reasoning is that itā€™s another box that needs special attention to do what itā€™s meant to do.
Fine if you have the space and pockets in baggy trousers.

1 Like

Yup, I was actually really surprised at just how good it sounds as a stand-alone DAC.

1 Like

Iā€™m slightly turning my attention away from a PS to a TT. Rega 8 is just so temptingā€¦

1 Like

If you get a nice TT like the P8 I doubt youā€™ll be listening much to the DAC anywayā€¦

4 Likes

This Ndac was stored in the dealerā€™s warehouse for long time. Given to me with original firmware, Front panel faded. Perhaps I should find another one. But sq is good.

1 Like

Firmware update is pretty easy to do.

This is what Iā€™m afraid of! Nice problem to have I supposeā€¦

1 Like

Did that after one day. Improved SQ

1 Like

Are we talking more about go faster stripes on the attached caravan ?

Hi Guinnless, yes there is a benefit as the DAC requires the mains connection + the XPS, so the internal reservoir caps are still in use.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes

Thanks Neil. Next time weā€™re allowed out Iā€™ll speak to Darran and have a trip out to Moorgate :+1:

1 Like

LOL
I love how caravans (mobile road blocks) always have contradictory names e.g. Swift :grin:

I asked Darran about serviceing the NdaC nine months ago.

He replied
Naim would recommend 15 year service intervals for this product, so no work will be required just yet.

3 Likes

Ta. Mineā€™s a 2011 model :+1:

A couple of facts about the nDac (I assume they are facts as nobody ever argues they are not facts).

1. Using a PS555 is a huge upgrade over no PSU.
  2. Using a high quality streamer is a big upgrade over using a cheap streamer.

But.
If youā€™re using a Ā£200 streamer, is it worth buying a PS555
If youā€™re not using a PS555, is it worth buying a Ā£3000 streamer.

2 Likes