Using a Nait 5 as a NAC 112

The NAP150x was a big step up over the NAP150 in its ability to provide power to the preamp - a much improved preamp supply! However, I would agree with Gary here, what you want is a Flatcap2/2x/2xs. It adds a whole new level of refinement, insight and dimensionality to the NAIT5 without losing the already really good bits.

Great advice guys, thanks. I’m off to eBay again (the wife’s chuffed!).

Would adding a 150X and a Flatcap 2 improve it further or should I be thinking of ultimately binning off the Nait 5 and stepping up to one of the better pre amps partnering something like the 150x? I’m trying to keep the power level down to preserve the life of my ESL57’s don’t forget.

Stick with the NAIT5 and get a Flatcap for now. Note you’ll need a SNAIC5 and a SNAIC4, the former coming with the Flatcap2 as standard when it was new.

In future, you might consider a NAP150x with a much better preamp - something like a NAP152xs or NAC202, so long as the source is up to snuff.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, yes I think the source is OK, I’m only using a Chromecast Audio but it is through an RME ADI-2 DAC FS - and it’s sounds amazing.

I’ve ordered a Flatcap 2 for £299 from a hifi shop off eBay. Thanks for the heads-up on the cable. My Scaic 4 is to RCA so I’ll need to order a new one.

Just be sure it’s the real deal and not a Fake SNAIC…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.