Using a seperate Word Clock

There is also Esoteric master clock, works fine with DCS , only from my reading…

You have also the DCS Scarlatti master clock on second hand market. Around 3k. It was before the Vivaldi production.

The rossini clock is 2 clocks in one box, so you dont have to switch over from 44 to 48khz, unlike the older dcs ones.
Certainly inproved the rossini, but strangely you notice it more when you forget to switch it on, or if you remove it for whatever reason

Similar to the above, our “Scottish” Karik3 transport + Numeric DAC, have a clock link from DAC (master) to transport (slave). The units can either be synced together, or can be left to free run.

There is definitely a difference between the two configuration, but I would not claim it’s massive. Nevertheless it is clear, even though the system is now quite old.

With a full stack of dCs boxes, there may well be a greater benefit in syncing them all to a master clock.

I’ve always had a hankering for the old black dCs stack (the Verdi, Purcell, Elgar vintage) - only heard it a couple of times at shows, but did sound very nice. But a full stack has even more boxes than a Naim CD player :laughing:

I don’t really think so … certainly they are very capable, but they jostle with many other high end DACs from Chord, Linn, Krell, Naim, Mark Levinson, Gramophone Dreams, Weiss Engineering and many others each offering their individual stance of the best available.

1 Like

Steve, in days gone by there were benefits in master clocks (for D to A) , but quite frankly these days with modern technology, I think having a master separate clock would introduce many issues that need to be managed (precision high frequency clock signals don’t like any sort of physical distance to travel along) and I can’t really see much benefit for modern designs.
DAC technology and supporting technology has significantly improved over the last 10 years or so.

1 Like

I agree… not to say there aren’t other players in the high end DAC market :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this the clock that’s 18 grand?

Wow! :wink:

1 Like

Yes but match that with their streaming transport and twin monobloc DACs and you have a nearly GBP 60K streamer.

Apparently, a few dealers in London absolutely swear by the pairing of Esoteric digital sources with Naim amps.

Sadly Esoteric employed a designer from Italy to give their range less of a Japanese look and this designer thought the front motifs of the gear could benefit from a sideways feminine hygiene product motif. Truly ugly gear.

1 Like

Curious, that has me scratching my head… does it change how it sounds though? :grinning:

Ah … now I see what you mean…

Wow! I had heard of clocks but had no idea of the ability to upgrade this aspect of music reply.

The thread intrigued me but quite honestly I’m pleased I’m never going down this rabbit hole.

I find streaming works for me, now, but I find it way more complicated than it should be.

I admire people’s knowledge and commitment to getting the best musical experience, good luck on your journey :slight_smile:

Heck even when you posted the image it took me a while to spot the link. What a sheltered life I lead!

2 Likes

This was also a shock… it looks like you need two clocks to give you the fundamental 44K and also the 48K. I’m checking but it looks like the clock outputs are invariably NOT independent. Well on the Antelope products anyway.

Update… the more expensive Antelope units DO have separate WC outputs - just had an email conversation with their support people.

Oh, I do hope that we can upgrade the upgrade clocks with external power supplies.

Then we could upgrade the upgrade power supplies to the upgrade clocks to the upgrade dac to the streamer with an upgraded mains cable.

That might then only leave the option to upgrade the fuse in the upgraded plug to the upgraded power cable to the … oh, I give up now :crazy_face:

Have fun with it! BF

4 Likes

I didn’t know the price. It’s indeed too much. There is the G03x on second hand market for around 1k.

You would need an extra fraim as well for that lot

4 Likes

Pondering over MC-3 USB + Ref10 to feed my nDac - what were your conclusions on the Mutec, please?

I can’t honestly say from any personal experience but there are loads of very favourable reviews including one from HiFi News giving it their ‘Outstanding’ badge.

tbh I’m edging more toward the Antelope Live which is a) better looking (important in the living room) and b) better specs.

btw the clincher between MC-3+ or ‘Live’ will be if the MC-3 can supply two different outputs at the same time. The Live can only do one clock at any one time so you would (in my case anyway) need two of them: One for 44K and one for 48K.

Sorry to be a pedant, but you mean 44.1K , not 44K… I guess if you want to have these special clocks you need them at the right frequency, and not an approximate one. :grinning: