Using Atom HE as a streamer only

I am out of propositions, because the shoebox size is not so common.
I found however a last one: Innuos Zen mini with its additional psu. You can find a detailed review in Darko audio site.

I very much appreciate your efforts. I don’t have the height on my rack for two boxes or the width for them to sit side by side. My dealer tried the Atom HE as a standalone streamer and thought it sounded better than an ND5 XS 2 despite the redundant preamp functions so that’s probably what I’ll end up going for. I’ll do a home audition first to be sure it sounds good. I’ve already got a non-HE Atom in another room (but not using preamp out) so I know I’ll be delighted with aesthetics and functionality. Still curious regarding best way of setting up. My dealer thinks set the volume at full on the Atom as that’s what a fixed output would be and then use the 552 volume to adjust.

1 Like

Atom HE, despite some redundancies, is perhaps the best choice finally. And it looks much better vs all the choices above.
The only problem is that the A HE digitises the volume control. Hope it will sound still very good in your set up.

What do you mean? I know the volume adjusts from 0-100 but why would that be a problem compared to an ‘analogue’ setting?

@ChrisSU :

“ The Atom HE is designed as a standalone all-in-one device. I can’t see much point in trying to link it to a Naim preamp, especially as it digitises its analogue input.”

Chrissu will explain better than me , specially as I am not a tekie, neither English is my native language.

It digitizes analog inputs, but that’s not much of a problem when used for digital streaming :slight_smile:

The volume control, however, is analog although it’s controlled digitally:

1 Like

So you think that connecting the Atom HE to a preamp is not a compromise?
I don’t know personally.

Another one to consider would be Goldnote DS-10. I tried it in my system once but compared to my NDS/555PS DR it fell short. I can’t really comment on sq other than the above.

Cyrus comes to mind for shoebox sized kit.

that’s not what I am saying, I have no idea :slight_smile: Just that the volume control is in the analogue domain.

I suppose it will come down to the Atom’s DAC. As the OP has a CD555, this is what I would do:
Pick a few CDs and rip them. Then play the rips through the Atom and compare with the CD555. Does it sound ok? Get the Atom.

2 Likes

Exactly what I plan to do. I’m not expecting CD555 performance and the redundant (for me) preamp functions on the Atom HE are not a deal breaker provided it sounds decent.

2 Likes

Hello Bryce

Have you decided to go with the Atom HE?

I’m in exactly same predicament as you with a half shelf fraim available for shoebox streamer

There certainly does appear to be a gap in the market for such a high quality sounding streamer ( which includes the dac) if that size

Cheers

Shoebox size streamer/Dac that will equal or better the CD 555 (maybe) is what I have my sights set on. So far the best I have found,according to reviews and many forums I have read is the Mola Mola Tambaqui.Not cheap,but is everything I need in one small package.

Isn’t that just a DAC?

Well it is a Roon ready Dac,you can play all your streaming services and stored music through Roon.It is a full-fledged endpoint/network renderer that makes external streamers superfluous…according to their website.

1 Like

You might have to suck it up and go up a level to accommodate the very good NDX2 :sunglasses::pray:

Well maybe Mike

Just some thoughts for the future when I finally retire

Cheers

1 Like

I thought you had! What happened?

Nah - still doing 3 days a week

See how I feel at end of this year, might kick me out anyway :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’d be tempted to set the volume level on the Atom so that the volume range used on the 552 is roughly similar to your other sources. The good news is that the remotes operate using different systems so that your 552 remote won’t change the volume setting on the Atom.