Using Atom HE as a streamer only

Given the level of your system, there are probably 2 “best” options, add another level to your rack(s) and use a Naim streamer, or the option you ruled out……

Well I’m obviously prepared to throw the cost of an Atom HE at this and maybe a bit more, rightly or wrongly. Sources would be Tidal and 26,817 tracks on a QNAP, the majority FLAC.

Both aren’t wrong, but neither are an option for me for different reasons.

1 Like

The earlier Aurelic Aries (the streamer only version without pre-amp) are well regarded. Not sure of the size though.

I am using my new Atom HE as streamer for a NAC52/Supercap/NAP250 system:

I was looking for a compact streamer that would also add Headphone out to the system.

The streamer is set to around 65-80 but most of the volume is controlled by the NAC52. This gives more room on the NAC52 volume control with my fairly efficient Devore speakers. I am not worried about multiple preamps as the Atom is digital domain only anyway. [note correction from below - the volume is indeed analog!]

The system is used otherwise primarily with a Linn Klimax/Aro/Keel vinyl system.

I am not sure how much I am missing compared to say an NDX2 - might have to find out someday….

What about the Uniti Core?
It sounds like you may not need all the functionality of the Atom HE? Or do you also need a DAC in your setup?

Ah yes, no dac. I thought the contrary….

Bel Canto E one stream. Just checked: it has an onboard dac. Shoebox size.

Think that, for the Price , its unrivaled

2 Likes

How about a Leema Acoustics Elements Streamer…

1 Like

Thanks, ticks the boxes except perhaps performance. I take positive reviews from What Hi-Fi with a large pinch of salt, negative reviews less so, but 3* is very underwhelming.

I am out of propositions, because the shoebox size is not so common.
I found however a last one: Innuos Zen mini with its additional psu. You can find a detailed review in Darko audio site.

I very much appreciate your efforts. I don’t have the height on my rack for two boxes or the width for them to sit side by side. My dealer tried the Atom HE as a standalone streamer and thought it sounded better than an ND5 XS 2 despite the redundant preamp functions so that’s probably what I’ll end up going for. I’ll do a home audition first to be sure it sounds good. I’ve already got a non-HE Atom in another room (but not using preamp out) so I know I’ll be delighted with aesthetics and functionality. Still curious regarding best way of setting up. My dealer thinks set the volume at full on the Atom as that’s what a fixed output would be and then use the 552 volume to adjust.

1 Like

Atom HE, despite some redundancies, is perhaps the best choice finally. And it looks much better vs all the choices above.
The only problem is that the A HE digitises the volume control. Hope it will sound still very good in your set up.

What do you mean? I know the volume adjusts from 0-100 but why would that be a problem compared to an ‘analogue’ setting?

@ChrisSU :

“ The Atom HE is designed as a standalone all-in-one device. I can’t see much point in trying to link it to a Naim preamp, especially as it digitises its analogue input.”

Chrissu will explain better than me , specially as I am not a tekie, neither English is my native language.

It digitizes analog inputs, but that’s not much of a problem when used for digital streaming :slight_smile:

The volume control, however, is analog although it’s controlled digitally:

1 Like

So you think that connecting the Atom HE to a preamp is not a compromise?
I don’t know personally.

Another one to consider would be Goldnote DS-10. I tried it in my system once but compared to my NDS/555PS DR it fell short. I can’t really comment on sq other than the above.

Cyrus comes to mind for shoebox sized kit.