Using DAC of NDX2 and CDX2 as a transport

I don’t know what cable he uses, but I believe the BNC connectors are Canare. Make sure you choose one rated at 75 ohm.

Canare 75 ohm Ultra Low Loss Coaxial Cables. Best suited to 12G-SDI transmission.

L-5.5CUHD 12G-SDI cable, combined with Canare BCP-D55UHD connectors.

regards,
Stefano

I have a CDX2 which was serviced earlier this year and converted into a CD transport , it goes into a NOVA and I am very happy .

I am happy to stay with CD s as I want to ensure the artist is remunerated properly - something I can’t guarantee with streaming .

The Nova gives me internet radio and catch-up with Radio 3 ,

1 Like

You can’t guarantee proper compensation by CD buying either, just saying. Poor artist payments were a problem with sheet music, shellacs, vinyl, CD, and streaming, because it’s not a medium problem but a structure problem.

I stream for the variety and discovery, like listening to radio essentially, and buy media like I did before. (With the benefit to buy what I like, not what I don’t like and sell on)

For the artists it is best to buy CD (or even better, Bandcamp) and then stream anyway

It’s the difference between hoping and knowing, if I buy a CD I hope he/she /they - the artist will be properly remunerated - and if I we’re to download , then I am reasonably certain they will not be properly remunerated .

Hence

That’s true, but there are other ways with bigger chances than just hoping. And a download from Bandcamp will be better for the artist than a CD from Amazon or whatever. My main objection was the word “guarantee” I guess, because it does not. And like I said buying and streaming is not mutually exclusive

1 Like

Out of curiosity Ian2001, what was the cost of converting to a CD transport?

1 Like

It needed a service - but around £350 , suspect it would now be £400

It is amazingly good . Mine was bought in 2002 /2003 and had never been serviced. I have a Nova and the performance had become " unexciting" or perhaps “bland” when fed with the CDX2 .

I borrowed a Audiolab 6000 CDT and it showed the CDX2 a “clean pair of heels” when Naim heard of this , they suggested a service , it came back with digital output only - at my request .

I don’t know how long the mechanism will last - but at the moment, it is a sweet sounding combo

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

That’s really helpful, thank you.

I’m arranging for my CDX2 (2003 vintage) to go back to Naim for a service and a new mechanism and wondered whether to convert to digital output only at the same time.

1 Like

Suspect the answer depends on how good the receiving DAC is ?

As the Nova converts any signal to digital I couldn’t see the point of not converting it

best wishes

I guess you’ll never know until it’s too late! It may also depend on the rest of your system. I would suggest a CDX2, as a Classic level source, really deserves a better system that an all-in-one like the Nova. If you have a very capable DAC which you like, sure. Otherwise why not just use the CDX2 as it is.
Another option might be to trade your CDX2 for a newer one which has a switchable digital out as standard, so you can try it, then revert to analogue if you prefer it.

Yes ChrisSU, the fact that it’s not reversible is the one thing that does worry me a little as there is no going back. Rest of the system is a 282/NAPSC/HiCAP/250/B&W 804, Chord 2Qute DAC.

Guess I’ve some thinking to do before I arrange to send off the CDX2 next week.

I would not do that, because the Nova dac is certainly inferior to the dac inside the Cdx2. Or eventually on the same level.
If you had an Ndx2, or Ndac, it would certainly be worthwhile. However even with an Ndac, which would cost today around 4k, some preferred Cdx2/ Xps2 vs Cdx2/ Ndac.
But the last combos are too good for a Nova.

Another possibility is to have a Cdx2/ xps2 into an SN2, and a Bluesound Node streamer for discovering music.

1 Like

If you like what your Chord DAC does you have a pretty good idea of what you’ll get from the CDX2 played through it, so maybe it’s not such a leap into the dark. Even so I would be tempted to look for a newer CDX2 so that you can switch between analogue and digital at will.

I am feeding my Nova with a recently serviced and altered CDX2 i.e digital output from a 20 year old CDx2 and it sounds very , very good.

Have you compared vs Cdx2 inbuilt dac?

I’ve had this CDX2 since 2002 , and I think it would be impossible to compare the past DAC V the Nova DAC, all I can say is I am very happy .

Memory plays tricks …

1 Like

hi everybody, finally I got a Canare digital audio cable 75 ohms BNC/BNC and I fed digital output of CDX2 into NDX2 (plus XPSDR I previously moved from CDX2…).

first impressions: more details, wider soundstage, deep and firm bass frequency.

my two cents…

regards,
Stefano

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.