Using Qobuz within Naim App

Many thanks. I’ve done that and it does sort them in A-Z order. However, it does not save the preference and when I go back into the app it has ‘unsorted’ them all. Aaaarghh!

Glad that it helped. It does another odd thing for me (Android). I sorted by “Date added”, then went out of Albums, into Artists, back into Albums > More. Now it still sorts albums by date added, but the sort menu shows “A-Z”. Same after force-quitting an restarting the app.

Thanks for that. Very helpful. Rovi is sadly not very good with classical track metadata - access to the actual booklets (as in the native Qobuz app) would be much better. As a matter of interest, does the Naim Qobuz app also allow selection of items by genre, latest releases etc as the Qobuz native app and Lumin does?

Indeed, that’s what my comment was about.

1 Like

Can’t help thinking that my original question has been hi jacked somewhat but it’s been fascinating reading the thread. I’ve learnt quite a bit about how to use Qobuz.

Specifically this question……

Also…I’m also burning my entire CD collection onto a portable hard drive using FLAC. Will the CDs on the hard drive sound better than that same CD played through Qobuz if I plug the hard drive directly into the streamer? Or should there be no difference

I’d add Roon to your evaluation list, does a good job of putting everything in to one place.
Whether something sounds better is mostly down to personal interpretation. In reality, confirmation bias to one side, I doubt you’d be able to consistently tell the difference between source/location.
Regards ripping and accessing locally via NAS or USB, the file metadata plays an important role in how the library is accessed and managed, if it’s ripped with poor or missing metadata it can get frustrating managing and using a large CD rips library, again something which Roon takes care of in the main.

1 Like

Absolutely, a complete fail for Chromecast (not Airplay) unless you jump through hoops using other app to deliver the stream.

Thread hijacking is pretty normal around here ! :wink:

It’s never meant maliciously, just topics diverge.

1 Like

If you rip your CDs to a NAS or hard drive accessed over USB they will likely sound similar though as with all things hi-fi there can be subtle differences which are often difficult to explain.

You just have to try it and see.

The other complicating factor is that your CD is not necessarily the same digitally as a CD quality stream which may have been remastered completely or had the audio volume normalised/levelled to reduce dynamics (serch for ‘loudness wars’ which is more prevalent in recent years).

I can almost guarantee that some of your ripped CDs will sound better, but so will some Qobuz streams, some will be exactly the same digitally. All depends on the mastering of the CD and the CD quality stream available to stream - newer is not necessarily better we often find.

2 Likes

This is true if accessed via the Qobuz interface in the Naim app. However, if you use the Favourites interface, you can sort by date added, album or artist. You can also filter the list to just show Qobuz content (or Tidal, or local).

It does. The Filter and Qobuz icons make these features available.

Thanks again Tom. That’s good to know for when I plan an upgrade.

1 Like

Which is what I did using the Logitech Media Server. (I started streaming with Squeezeboxes.). Any other alternatives of which you are aware. Always good to have a plan B.

I should note that I know I have alternatives when I use my Naim streamers, but I also play music through ChromeCast Audio and (on occasion) Google Nest devices.

1 Like

If by “programme booklets” you mean the booklet provided by the record company as an insert to the CD case, or as a pdf to accompany a download, the answer at present is ‘no’. Qobuz do offer these in their app at least for some of the albums they offer; it’s particularly common for classical music. But you cannot access these directly in the Naim app. It ought to be possible to do this as it can be done with the Lightning DS app I use to control my streamer, so I have asked for this in the Feature request thread. At the moment I’m still waiting.

Roger

1 Like

I gave up trying to configure other apps to send Qobuz audio to the Nova to be honest - things never worked well, and now the Nova has native Qobuz support I don’t need to do that, but I appreciate not all streamers have native Qobuz support.

Others have far more experience doing this than me, hopefully they can help.

From memory I did download LMS, BubbleUPNP and Linn Kazoo, but as I say in the end gave up.

LMS recently added a Qobuz plug-in. I use Tidal, so I haven’t tried it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.