Utter bargains

Yeah that is what a friend of mine does with his 2 year old JBL Flip but of course you really loose the portability which for me is the main attraction of that little speaker.

Items marked as “Viners of Sheffield” or just Viners were (are?) made in Sheffield, the rest is boxed as “Viners International”, or was (I don’t know if Viners still exists). Other manufacturers of cutlery use the same distinctions in their brandings between products verses their country of manufacture.

@TallGuy - I didn’t buy mine… It was just passed to me… :slightly_smiling_face:

I got my Linn LP12/Basik LVX/K9 brand new in late 1987 for £429 (part exchange for a Heybrook TT2–Syrinx LE1–A&R P77).

I have had almost 34 years’ worth of musical pleasure from that thing (it’s been upgraded over the years, but you get my point), but that old fruit box is just about the biggest bargain ever. I suspect it’ll be with me until the day I die…

7 Likes

My Linn was £340, in 1981… :smirk:

2 Likes

Neat MF9 speakers, to replace my, at the time, MF7s.

They’d been built to order by Neat, for a customer who wanted them as a stopgap whilst his Revel floor standers were being repaired under warranty.

Fortunately for me, on their return, he decided he preferred the Revels, so step in Dave … six weeks old, in Piano Black Gloss finish, at less than half list price, and a hire van day trip to deepest Gloucestershire and back … bargain!

3 Likes

The Philips is probably the same - I could have sworn it was powered by 4xAA batteries - possibly a sibling in the range.

I have several old iPod docks made by Philips which were good value (especially discounted), but mains powered.

A battery powered device for trips/holidays certainly has appeal, a shame when they don’t allow you to use replacements, or at least cost effectively.

I got the Lingo on release, £500 from memory, mates thought I was bonkers - lasted around 30 years until I part-exchanged for Radikal last year. Had it serviced once, but couldn’t have cost more than around £15/annum taking all things into consideration.

2 Likes

I recently bought 8 Naim Chips on eBay for £9.95, postage included. Needless to say, the word Naim had not been used in the description :wink:

1 Like

Bargain… £340 worth about £992 today, compare that with the cost of a bog std LP 12 today…

shhhhhhhh

Well… maybe more than that… as it has a Linn Ittok LVII on it (cost £253 in 1982) … and a Vahalla board (cost £57-50 in 1982)… plus a Cirkus kit fitted more recently…

It deserves a Lingo, which I am currently seeking… :thinking:

1 Like

I bought my new Focal Chora 816 floorstanders two for the price of one! $895 for two!

1 Like

Never heard of Neat MF9 so looked them up …

2 Likes

Utter bargains - neither HiFi IMG_0029

1 The first was after a period of massive surgery I had sciatica , very , very nasty. The doctor said you’ll need surgery - but you aren’t going anywhere near a hospital - for at least six months. A lot of pain was imminent .

A neighbour said go and see Dr X, it turned out Dr X was retired but held in very high esteem and had a small private surgery at his old NHS practice. He put me in positions worthy of submission holds on the now defunct wrestling channel . £180 later, I was free of pain and no surgery

2 Mrs Houdini, from the cat rescue people, she wasn’t wanted and had been mistreated (broken tail) - cost to me a donation of £100 to funds, gift to me a year on year supply of sits in lap and appreciation for (hopefully) a warm, secure home .

14 Likes

A gift beyond price.

6 Likes

I wasn’t thinking of a specific fork, but merely using it as an example. As it happens, our David Mellor cutlery is made in Hathersage, just west of Sheffield. Not imported, made there.

1 Like

But you might buy a new set of four instead of having them fixed at that price. Or if you spot a new set you like, just get it as it’s cheap.

Personally I don’t mind paying for quality, am mostly happy to do so even. But I’m not that fussed about where it’s been made.

We’ve got three UE Booms in the family and they make an awesome noise in the garden for BBQs etc. Still can’t believe the quality of sound from something so small and (relatively) cheap.

Battery life and build quality have been faultless so far too. I’m afraid I haven’t enquired into the precise situation and ethics of its manufacture.

Mark

Fixed you say?

5 Likes