Value vs price

I do not work anymore so savings are the only source of funding. My potential spend uses a decent amount of these savings but we all spend our money somewhere.

We don’t live at all extravagantly so the spending of these funds is major but not to the detriment of our otherwise modest lifestyle. Our system is in constant use either providing sound for the tv or listening to music.

I feel very fortunate to be in this position but we have worked very hard for it. We no longer have a mortgage so outgoings will not be as high as some.

This is a high spend vs available funds but one which I feel will be worth it. This is my last time spend on HiFi bar streaming subscriptions so I want to get it right.

This is a stretch but not a fool hardy one. I appreciate the the law of diminishing returns will limit the bang for buck but at an acceptable level. To move beyond this in a naim system means 500 series which happily I cannot afford and never intend to listen to.

As in terms other brands, I made my mind up a long time ago, that Naim had the right balance of build quality, SQ without any superfluous features.

1 Like

Good point. While holidays etc. are recurring costs, this will be my final HiFi equipment spend. Once the money is spent it will soon be forgotten.

2 Likes

Aren’t you comparing the existing system cost including the speakers, and the second new system without?

Anyway, I’d look at the net cost per year as discussed above. But of course cash flow is another important factor - so value being the lifetime cost, and cost being having enough money in hand to pay for it.

One other thought though, is whether using a 350 on the bare streamer and pre-amp will be unbalanced - too much amplification without getting the best from the source and pre? So, using the 250 NC in place of the 350, which would also get you closer to your budget.

2 Likes

This will be the crux of my decision. Will the 350 or 250 win for me? I am happy with whichever ‘wins’.

1 Like

It seems like you’re putting a lot of pressure on yourself. HiFi should be a source of joy not stress. You say you’re happy with your current system so maybe just wait a spell and see if your position changes. I wouldn’t rush any big purchases if they factor so heavily into your cashflow. You could always do a slower upgrade path and enjoy the ride while expending smaller cashflow as you go. It might take the edge off and allow you to have more fun.

4 Likes

Well then don’t, as you say you have a very well balanced system, just buy/stream more music. Just because new products have arrived doesn’t mean we have to buy. In fact your system is way better than what 99.99% of folks listen to music on.

4 Likes

@LindsayM. Sound advice.

I am getting my first Naim System. My prior Regs system got damaged during home renovation. My new system is;

SN3, ND5XS2, CD5SI, Hicap DR, Spendor A4, Isotek power, Chord interconnects.

I am keeping my RP9 from prior system. I could have started with a more entry level system, but I wanted to make this my final hifi system purchase and it is at a level I can afford. Also I am firmly convinced that you ultimately lose money in continued upgrading. Even if you sell or trade in your former equipment, you hardly ever get back all of what you paid. Assuming you can afford it, I find it better to purchase at the highest level you can afford and then not upgrade. Another factor for me, is that because of disability, I need to pay for home installation. It’s more economical for me to pay once than each time I incrementally upgrade.

Overall I want to focus on the music and not the equipment. For me, the equipment’s just a means to having great music in our home. Box preoccupation leaves me empty and makes me chase after perfection which, for me leaves me empty and forever unfulfilled.

3 Likes

Thanks @ElMarko , I am obviously not managing to convey my true thoughts in my posts. If I come across as pressured in any way then I apologise. These are very exciting times. Before the release of the 300 series I was very content with my system, safe in the knowledge that there was nothing that I aspired to in the legacy 200 series. 500 and statement do not figure at all for me for obvious reasons.

I listen to music for a few hours each day and really enjoy it. There are aspects of my system that I would like to be a bit better. With the volume up a bit, the upper mids/treble can harden a little. The bass can also be a little in distinctive at times by which I mean that the kick drum and bass guitars could be slightly more separated.

I am excited at the thought of a possible upgrade (assuming auditions show me a suitable difference that I can take as an improvement).

The cost actually has little bearing on it for me. I have determined that up to a £20k spend is fine. I certainly will not go beyond that but who knows, the NAP250 may be good enough so I won’t end up spending as much.

Exciting times.

1 Like

I might have missed it, but why not keep your NDX2?

1 Like

I agree with your sentiments and for the past 5 years have just got on with enjoying my system.

Now is an ideal time while I am not too old and still have decent health to go for my final system.

1 Like

No regrets but if I was starting again with everything I know and I’ve read now I would go for:

NDS/555DR
52/52PS or SC
500(non DR)
Kudos 606

Maybe 18.5k all in.

All P/L.

Reckon that would be really tough to beat in terms of bang for buck.

5 Likes

Yeah, I get it, you could be getting a lot more out of your speakers. I owned a SN and demoed the NDX2/SN2 extensively but it just didn’t work for me. Naim amps really need to be on their own to shine ime. The 250DR is a good amp but I think you’ll just be wondering about the NC. I’ve owned both olive versions of 250, 250.2, 250DR, and now 250NC. The 250NC is the top dog now. And in retrospect I think the DR mostly sounded good b/c it came on the back of the 250.2 which is the worst of the 250 imo.

1 Like

Just my two penneth worth. I’m very happy with my system and will probably invest more in future, but I won’t do it if any form of stretch is involved - not worth the stress.

1 Like

With sound quality there is no such comparator as “twice as good”.

And calculations of cost per year etc are meaningless.

All you can do is audition several options, and decide for yourself what you are happy to spend for the sound quality it gives you. Weigh it up against the pleasure you’d get, both short and long term (bearing mind how long long term is is unknown), from spending the money elsewhere: holidays, meals out, attending special events, doing up the house. Then spend it and forget.

Oh, and bear in mind that secondhand or ex-dem can give you much greater buying power: my system has a new purchase value of the order of £50k or more. I spent comfortably under £20k in today’s money, one item new, the rest secondhand.

Meanwhile it might be worth a read of the current “Night and day differences” thread.

3 Likes

Diminishing returns seems to always be like this. In my experience, a system that costs just 20% of another system still gets you 90% of the way there if the bits are well selected. I think everyone just has to decide how much is that improvement worth?

If the decision on the spend is agonising, my advice is to shelve the whole thought process for a few months and then revisit. You’ll often find the time narurally distills your priorities and goals.

5 Likes

Bjm started that thread :slight_smile: I suspect as part of the same decision making process.

@Bjm good luck whatever you decide!

2 Likes

I have had a 52/Supercap at the heart of my system for over 30 years. It’s a wonderful thing, and I thoroughly back your choice of one as part of your ideal system.

I never heard the 52PS (rather than the Supercap), and I can’t remember now why the PS was ‘retired’ from the range.

3 Likes

I think you have answered the question. Personally I would not do that and one never knows about needing that money for a rainy day like updates/repairs to the house. I did a similar thing in 2004, but I am still working and so everything is long paid off. Don’t forget expensive services down the line.

Of course you can always sell it later if needed but you will have lost a lot of money by doing that. Then again investments could also lose a lot of money.

I would make sure you have an extensive home demo to see how it all works in your home. The German distributor let me home demo the system that I bought for 2 weeks which was useful.

I think these components also really need the NPX300. which of course adds another £11400

One thing I’ve discovered - amongst many - is that one quickly gets used to a new system, and listening to it becomes the new normal. There is no guarantee that you’ll get more enjoyment, though of course you’ll get better bass, better treble, blah blah blah.

I don’t know the new stuff but my only concern about the 333/332/350 is the amps-first nature, which you identify. I’ve always been a big believer in source first - many are not so committed of course - and if I had the 350 I’d want the power supplies on the 333 and 332, and that’s six boxes.

We have sufficient savings to buy pretty much any Naim we wanted, save the Statement, but the cash stays firmly in the bank, ready to help our children with house deposits, or in case the house needs a new roof etc. Whether it’s sensible to spend the £20,000 depends on whether the funds would be better kept for something else. Your wife’s misgivings suggests that maybe your funds could be better spent elsewhere, or kept for that rainy day. How would you feel if she decided to drop the same amount on something, against your better judgement?

Given how happy to say you are with what you have, and given how a good power amp can transform speakers, might a New Classic 222/300/250 be a more balanced way forward for you? As this is a hifi forum there is always encouragement to go large, but whatever you do has to fit your life, family circumstances, depth of pockets and so on.

21 Likes

Only you can measure the expectations and implications of this one. For this reason I don’t own a system worth double. But then again, I also don’t own a technics midi-system, which she would be totally happy with. You just have find your happy domestic bliss medium.

2 Likes