Vangelis. R.I.P

We have lost both Vangelis and Klaus Schulze in a month. I am beyond devastated.

2 Likes

It’s a great album.

2 Likes

There are probably only two film score composers who most people (of a certain age) can name Vangellis and Williams because their music transcends genre and goes over to the mainstream.

RIP.

1 Like

I first heard the music of Vangelis at a laser light show in London; the light was flashed around the room in time to the piece entitled Pulstar, which I later discovered was from the album Albedo 0.39. It seemed so appropriate for such modem technology. I bought the album the next day. May he rest in peace.

Albedo 0.39 holds wonderful memories for me from the days of my youth. I bought the recent reissue to replace my battered original not too long ago.

Ditto, the Friends of Mr. Cairo and Blade Runner.

Thanks for the memories Vangelis.

Cheers,

Ian

1 Like

His music was one of the reasons for me to begin making music and still do.

R.I.P.

:pensive:

1 Like

Respect. RIP.

Ditto for Albedo 0.39, which was one of the first albums I got into when I used to listen to my brother’s LP. I recently found a very good copy in a local charity shop.

And as others have noted, his soundtrack is so intrinsic to the whole experience of Blade Runner.

Another great loss.

2 Likes

What a loss

Damn

I thought his soundtrack to ‘The Bounty’ starring Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson (1984) was superb. Loved the juxtaposition between the 18th Century imagery and the 20th Century soundscapes. An example of where soundtracks really can/do enhance films.

5 Likes

Being a great fan over many years and owning many of his albums I am very saddened at the loss of this very talented musician, RIP.

There’s a pretty full and extensive body of work he left behind.

OMG.
I’ve only just seen this. Very sad.
Some great film soundtracks and I loved his collaborations with Jon Anderson (especially Friends of Mr Cairo, which remains one of my regular ‘go to’ albums).

Rest in peace.

4 Likes

Both Klaus and Vangelis are gone less than a month apart, 2022 is pure evil. :cry:

This is my recollection.

Someone sent me a link to a short video of Jon Anderson talking about how he and Vangelis met, which is I think rather charming, and shows both their characters well.

9 Likes

BBC 6Music is currently doing a 2-hour tribute and playing some interesting tracks.

Mark

1 Like

I was incredibly disappointed that the BBC News obituary for Vangelis made no mention of his collaboration with Jon Anderson. I share your view of Friends of Mr Cairo – a masterpiece.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.