Various issues with NDX 2

Anyone have issues with their NDX2 remote? I find the navigation arrows very stiff and indefinite and you really need to stab them with your finger to get a response. The similar remote on my Nova was fine in this regard.

Both my NDX2 and Nova remotes have been fine, though need a firm press.

My directional pad do not have any press travel at all. My dealer said this is a common issues. But it seems Uniti do not have such issues. Other button has travel, but directional do not have. Very poor experience as the feedback is all lost.

Yes, mine is pretty bad, especially the four ‘direction’ arrows, which need a very firm press. I should probably take it back to my dealer, but I use it so infrequently that I haven’t bothered yet. The buttons on my Atom remote are fine.

Ok so I’m not alone! It’s pretty crap for a 5k product, presumably they’re probably outsourced by Naim, I’ll talk to my dealer and see can I get a replacement

Yes, I too can confirm that I have had very similar problems to most who have responded to this post, screen freezing - playing a track the unit fails to respond, have to reset the unit. Clicking again very annoying, radio not working - had this last night and I was getting very frustrated with my system, seems to be okay now so it does appear to have been an issue with vradio but there was no notification of this. I have to say that the NDX 2 does seem to be a bit temperamental, software I suspect and I’m not sure the Wi-Fi capability of the unit is very good. As said for a £5k unit it is not brilliant. I too have a Supernait 3, XPS DR, HiCap DR and Focal Sopra speakers, so quite an expensive system to have to mess about with it. And it is less than a month old !!!

I have had my NDX2 for over a year now and I have only had occasional issues with screen freezes and vtuner stations not working. Even so, this has in no way detracted from my enjoyment of using the NDX2. It’s a fine streamer and IMO represents a sweet spot in the Naim streamer line-up.

If you’re having continuing issues then speak to your dealer or contact Naim support. They well do their best to resolve any issues.

2 Likes

I’ve had my NDX2 for about 10 months.

My system is on the following versions :
System Version : 3.3.14306
Build Version : 5091
OS Version : 3.3.1.852
DSP Version : 2.170
Remote host version 1.1
Remote firmware version : 1.2.4

I don’t get this error, and haven’t had it. Neither playing through chromecast, airplay, spotify nor roon. I have situations where it would get confused by rapidly switching through those inputs whilst something was playing (for example whilst Roon was playing and then switching immediately to a playing Spotify track.)

I don’t get this issue on my NDX 2.

I don’t have a core, so, can’t comment on that specifically. I have found great sucess with the following setup however:

My local library is on a WD 8TB drive, connected via an Audioquest Jitterbug to an Apple USB A to USB C converter into a dedicated Apple MacBook Pro (2017 15" with 16GB RAM, Quad Core i7 running macOS Catalina - v10.15.1)
The MacBook Pro runs ROON 1.7 as the music server (and is also integrating my Qobuz studio subscription into my virtual library - I have 2.6TB of Music on the drive (4,518 albums).
The Macbook Pro is WIFI connected to a Google Mesh access point in the same room, which is relayed to a further Google Mesh access point to which the NDX 2 is connected via WIFI.

Through this means I am able to reliably stream up to DSD128 from the MacBook Pro to the NDX2 with no connectivity issues whatsever.

I haven’t had that problem. I’ve been able to add my own favorites to vTuner and for them to play fine and not drop out.

All in all, I’ve found the NDX2 to be very family friendly, not at all temperamental and very reliable.

Also, I use system automation with my NAC252 and prior to that on my NAC282 and haven’t had any issues with the remote nor it’s control of the volume or inputs. That said, I only have the NDX2 as a preamp physical input and thus any source I tend to switch happens on the NDX2 side, not the pre-amp.

Re. the radio, Steve Harris confirmed first thing this morning on here that the Vtuner main server had gone down and they had moved as quickly as they could to the back up server, so any loss of service should have been minimised.

If you running the latest firmware but are still experiencing screen freeze please get in touch with Naim support giving them as much detail as possible. Thanks.

@PBenny and Simon-in-Suffolk:

I’m running the latest firmware and a full factory reset was made to solve the SSD- issue on the Core. But the freezing wasn’t solved after the firmware update.

@Hollow:

If there is an issue with vtuner, the NDX 2 can’t be blamed so that would improve my current view on this device.

@frenchrooster:

The only Wifi component working with my NDX 2/ Core is the Ipad which works as a remote control. The NDX 2 and Core are both connected to my LAN-system. Every room has it’s own LAN sockets so it should run stable this way.
However, music broadcasted via Spotify on the IPad and sent to the NDX 2 via Bluetooth works pretty well.
Yes, I could use Spotify or Tidal on the NDX 2 directly, but with my collection of CD’s and available Radio stations, there is no real need for it so the free version is sufficient (well, one add per 30 minutes is okay).

@Marka:

When no issues occur, I’m quite happy with this combination and if the software hick-ups are ironed out by some soft/ firmware updates, it could only get better. My dealer showed my an NDX 2 in combination with a Supernait 3 and it sounded very well. Interesting fact is, that the DIN cable included with the NDX 2 was connected to the CD socket of the SN 3 while a high quality Cinch cable was entering the streaming sockets of the SN3. The difference was really big in favour of the Cinch cable. Usually cable ware issued together with a Hifi component is not of the highest standard, but honestly I was expecting more from the DIN cable which Naim likes so much.

Meccanoman

Another will certainly comment, however I don’t know what is the cinch cable you are referring. There is normally din or rca, or I miss something.

@frenchrooster:

RCA and Cinch are the same thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector
“Cinch” is common e.g. in Continental Europe, whereas “RCA” – quite obviously – in the U.S.
According to http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinch the correct term is apparently “RCA jack”.

Meccanoman

So why you said cinch was better vs Naim din from your ndx2?

Which cinch/rca cable did you listen to? I have a new SN3 / NDX 2 combo that is a little over a week old (replaced a Nova). I have been demoing different interconnect cables between the SN3 and NDX2 as well. I am auditioning both Nordost and Audioquest RCA cables (as recommended by my dealer). Surprisingly, both sound better than the included Naim Din cable. Both sound more ’open’, provide a bit more detail as well as a bigger soundstage.

I don’t plan to commit to an interconnect cable for a while to give the SN3 time to settle down after a reasonable break-in period. Struggling with ‘booming bass’ at the moment.

FWIW: I home auditioned Nordost Red Dawn and Heimdall II RCA cables for my NDX2. The Red Dawn sounded about the same as the Naim lavender DIN. The Heimdall II was clearly better, but then I got a used HiLine DIN for significantly less than a Heimdall II and it sounded even better, so I am still using the HiLine.

@frenchrooster

The combination of DIN and RCA/ Cinch was used on the NDX 2/ SN3 combo at my dealer. He wanted to show me the difference between the standard DIN and some self-made high quality Cinch cables.
Even though he is selling quite a lot of premium brands (Naim, T & A, Marantz, Focal, Unison research, Lab 12 and the like) he is somewhat skeptical if a pair of speaker cables is getting above 2000,-€/ 3m.
His workshop makes own cables for a very affordable price. They also change a lot of german “Schuko” plugs for the flat 3-pin hexagon Swiss-style variant.
The 1m Cinch cable made in his shop, serving between the NDX 2 and Revox receiver at my home is real value for money at 180,-€ even if we talk about a no-name product.

The good news is that the radio plays again. It seems they have solved the problems around vtuner.

I still wonder why you can search for albums on the Core, but not for titles.
In fact this should be possible as well if we talk about computing power on an Ipad or Core. Same thing for moving Radio stations in the favourite list. I would like to see a function as on an Iphone were radio stations start to “dance” before being put into the right order.
Generally our way of listening to the radio has heavily changed during the last 10 months. Before we listened to some FM stations, located in a radius of let’s say 200 to 300km. A bit of a bore and not that much choice. Now we are trying stations from all over the world, with some 40 favourites between Brazil and Japan. So for every mood you get the right music. This is a feature we wouldn’t like to loose.

Meccanoman

1 Like

When I started using my my NDX2 last March I felt the sound improved over my NDX from day one and noticed continued improvements over a few months as I played a lot of music. At the six month mark added a XPS DR power supply and the sound improved immediately and once again have felt some improvement over the past couple months. My point, if I have one, is that I feel it is better to spread out changes over time to evaluate each change.

Some folks above mention buying a new system and begin swapping out components and looking for improvements before the system has settled in. I really believe you need to know and be confident you know the baseline sound of your system in your room before looking for improvements.

JMHO - YMMV

btw… No issues reported with my NDX 2. Usage is streaming from my NAS or TIDAL 98% of the time with a little radio thrown in on occasion. System automation has worked flawlessly as well as the remote, although I do not use it too often and control everything through the iPad.

4 Likes

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with what you opine against doing. Isn’t that really just a matter of choice and perspective, and goals? I added a 252 last week and have a 300DR coming tomorrow. I see no reason to wait. Last year I had my 282, HiCap2 and 250-2 all serviced and DR upgraded at the same time. There was no reason for me to do any of that one piece at a time. MMDV :wink:

I added the XPS-DR to my NDX2 before it was even fully broken in. The improvement was obvious and immediate. That’s not going away because the system settles in later.

That’s my perspective. Do what makes you happy and provides enjoyment of the system.

2 Likes

I agree with your view. My frustration when spreading out the upgrades is that it seems like I am in a perpetual state of anticipating and waiting for the upgrade/change to settle in, instead of ‘biting the bullet’ and letting everything optimize simultaneously. Admittedly, when I think I have reached the ‘end-game’, I seem to start the upgrade process over again. Never done.

3 Likes

I don’t need to evaluate each change on it’s own. To my mind, that more of an audiophile thing…playing music to listen to your system. I care more about more about what gets me to playing my system to listen to music.

If two changes at once get me there faster/better, then I’m good with that. For example, if I buy a NDX2 and I love the sound, and I immediately add a XPS, and then a HiLine, and hear it sound even better all in one sitting, then win-win for me.

End game is nigh for me. The 300DR completes my path to the top of the Classic range, which is where I want to be.