Vibration Isolation / Support for Glass

OK yes, that’s true enough.

And the commercial version probably do have some performance advantage over mine, how much advantage is another question, but it would have to be very substantial to justify their retail prices.

I don’t know which will sound the best. Just wanting to say that Thomas should put them under the chassis, 3 devices in triangular set up . But not under the feet. At least I have done that and it works better…as also in the pictures.

Some have crazy prices. I know.

Yes, that is also how I use them.

1 Like

I have a question for you.
I bought mini heat sinks ( 37 mn) to put under my Etheregen and Uptone ps, which are running very hot. And probably hotter this summer.
But the Etheregen was designed to run hot .
Do you think it can limit its capabilities if I put heat sink above it?
Because perhaps the clocks are working better at 40/ 50 C and decreasing the heat may not be ideal?

Well, when I fitted one set of the brass cups and inner restrainers unde my 272 that were beautifully and brilliantly and selflessly fabricated by Xanthe, the SQ of the whole system moved up in clarity and solidity and sheer delight by a large and unmistakable notch.

The next morning I decided to try moving my 555dr to my second rack - a Quadraspire one with thin legs and glass shelves that I was using only for switches.

That was a worthwhile experiment which made it clear that glass shelves are not great on a Quadraspire rack. The sq was a little muddied by it, probably because the Psu was wobbling the whole rack and thus vibrating the switches as well as itself.

Anyway, I just put the 555dr back on the oak rack with thicker legs and SQ leapt back up to the lovely place it was at beforehand.

Phew.

The laptop on the switches rack is now funnelling wav files to the 272 via upnp controlled by Kazoo, which is also adding to SQ too.

2 Likes

That means I could try Roon now on the laptop, and see what that sounds like.

Then decide whether to use that laptop permanently, or a NAS, or a NUC or Roon Nucleus, or an Innuous…

Will try Roon tonight if poss…

if you dont like the idea of a laptop and the other options seem a bit pricey, use an apple mac mini. I just set one up, needed a display only to set it up and its ideal for roon server work, i paid £200 for a late 2014 model with i5 and 4gb ram.

2 Likes

Finally got the glass shelves out from under my speakers (replaced by borrowed Living Voice marble slabs).

This further tighened up and cleaned up SQ.

Once again, a heartfelt thank you to Xanthe for everything.

Jim

3 Likes

Here’s a free improvement. Put the 272 on the top shelf.

1 Like

Pleased they work for you.

It’s good when theory is confirmed by practice (as it is when practice is confirmed by theory!).

I’d have thought that large glass ornament was far more vulnerable than a 272, but of course you know your own children far better than I do!

Yes, the powerful positive impact on SQ in this case is a testament to the audible value of very well thought-through theory.

You have here invented a new set of practices and artefacts that can bring a lot of enjoyment in ways that I think would surprise and delight many people.

You have made the idea public here - and therefore reproducible.

But I must admit that if you hadn’t saved me at a the vital moment, my whacking the cups with a hammer seemed likely to lose a lot of steel balls, wreck a load of brass cups, and probably do myself an injury too!

I can imagine people being impressed by an AB demo of this technology, and wanting to get a starter pack of cups, balls and plastic surrounds.

If someone wants something similar, already ready, and not expensive, here are ceramic isolation pads.
32 dollars for 4 pieces.

1 Like

For anyone interested I can get these
22mm and 15mm with a nice concave recessed section as standard, I should think the 22mm ones would be best

1 Like

They look good dunc
What’s the radius on the 22mm one?

Not at home right now, but will check later.
Can also get 28mm ones, but I feel they look a bit big really. But the fact they have the recess already in them and they are all the same makes for an easier fit than doing yourself

1 Like

Are they order able online somewhere?

25mm outside radius 18mm inside

They are maade by Prestex, code is 744008 and they come in bags off 5

1 Like