Videoconferencing apps

I gather that will be free soon too.

I recommend Google Meet (https://meet.google.com/), its free for everyone.
Not sure if it has been rolled out for your region yet.
As usual, 1st class software from Google.

1 Like

Wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole in terms of security.

1 Like

So what is your preference? Zoom or Microsoft team?
You can call me naive, but I trust Google more than some big software firms out there, none of them is perfect actually, you need to pick one that you feel most comfortable.

Zoom issued a major upgrade yesterday. I haven’t read all the release notes but there is a lot of enhanced security there and I think 20 March is a long time ago in terms of the way Zoom operates.

Best

David

You can setup your own server and use webrtc-function of your browser with https://jitsi.org

But I wouldnt hesitate to use Zoom, they have had good people working on the flaws. My experience of Zoom has been better audio/video quality and generally less sluggishness than Teams.

If you are going to whisper bank account numbers to each other - dont use any of them. Try Signal or Telegram.

Lifesize and teams

Bruce Schneier again…

“ Zoom does offer end-to-end encryption if

1. everyone is using a Zoom app, and not logging in to the meeting using a webpage, and

2. the meeting is not being recorded in the cloud.

That’s pretty good, but the real worry is where the encryption keys are generated and stored. According to Citizen Lab, the company generates them.

The Zoom transport protocol adds Zoom’s own encryption scheme to RTP in an unusual way. By default, all participants’ audio and video in a Zoom meeting appears to be encrypted and decrypted with a single AES-128 key shared amongst the participants. The AES key appears to be generated and distributed to the meeting’s participants by Zoom servers. Zoom’s encryption and decryption use AES in ECB mode, which is well-understood to be a bad idea, because this mode of encryption preserves patterns in the input.

The algorithm part was just fixed:

AES 256-bit GCM encryption : Zoom is upgrading to the AES 256-bit GCM encryption standard, which offers increased protection of your meeting data in transit and resistance against tampering. This provides confidentiality and integrity assurances on your Zoom Meeting, Zoom Video Webinar, and Zoom Phone data. Zoom 5.0, which is slated for release within the week, supports GCM encryption, and this standard will take effect once all accounts are enabled with GCM. System-wide account enablement will take place on May 30.

There is nothing in Zoom’s latest announcement about key management. So: while the company has done a really good job improving the security and privacy of their platform, there seems to be just one step remaining to fully encrypt the sessions.

The other thing I want Zoom to do is to make the security options necessary to prevent Zoombombing to be made available to users of the free version of that platform. Forcing users to pay for security isn’t a viable option right now.”

Overwhelmingly it’s users are using the free version.

5 reasons Google Meet is better than Zoom for the average person - click to go there

That’s an advertorial full of opinion rather than fact. It’s also wrong on at least two things re: Zoom. It also doesn’t address the fundamental issue, which is that it’s Google and thus it’s about your data.

Lol.

We are using Teams. I spend hours on it some days and it has confirmed to me my suspicion that I’ll never be a headphone listener!

G

Teams here. Integrated with Cisco Jabber. Use Sony noise cancellers when needed. Works beautifully. On a nice day I’ll go sit in the garden with the iPad and headphones for video calls.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.