Vintage Nait 2 vs modern Nait XS 3

Hello! To complement a recent ND5 XS 2 (which I am very happy with), I am currently evaluating a demo Nait XS 3 to replace my old Nait 2 from 1991 (overhauled and recapped a few years ago). I was hoping (a) to get a remote control and proper integration with the streamer, (b) a good headphone output and (c) an overall better sounding, fresher, more powerful amp.

Boxes (a) and (b) are ticked, I am quite happy with that. But my expectation (c) that the Nait XS 3 would blow the vintage Nait 2 out of the water did not work out at all. I struggle to pinpoint a real difference (and an A-B comparison is an awkward exercise), but I feel tempted to say that the XS 3 sounds a bit subdued, as if there was a layer of something between me and the music. Has anyone made a similar experience, benchmarking modern kit with a 30 year old box?

I am seriously struggling to justify spending that amount of money for (a) and (b) whilst compromising on the sound. I could live without the integration and fiddle a servo thingy to operate the volume, but that doesnā€™t solve my headphone problem. What would you do?

2 Likes

Fair enough, but an additional headphone amp does increase complexity (spouse acceptance coming into play) and turns the lack of a remote volume control into, well, the lack of two volume controls. The room has one half in which I am sitting, and another one with the kit. Routing cables between these halves is very difficult for architectonic (and spouse acceptance) reasons.

Yes, jmtennapel, you are absolutely right, of course. There is a slight practical/usability difference, however, between a dangling headphone cable whilst I am listening through the headphones, and a cable between Nait and headphone amp.
So - what are your recommendations for a semi-affordable headphone amp - taking into consideration that I seem to like the vintage Naim sound?

1 Like

Maybe get a pre-loved XS2 ā€“ much cheaper and thus easier to justifyā€¦ Whilst the XS3 is widely considered the better amp, there doesnā€™t seem to be a great step-up from the XS2. I had an XS2 in the past, and thought it was a lovely piece of kitā€¦

A Headline can be expected to outperform the headphone amp in the XS3 by a considerable margin, but you will need a power supply (the bigger, the betterā€¦) ā€“ and no remote controlā€¦

@schroeder
If you prefer ā€˜vintageā€™ Naim, a Nait 3R would give you remote control.

1 Like

I have with an 82 vs 282. Sent the 282 for a service hoping it would change.

A Nait 3R, although gutsy, is not a Nait 2. Iā€™ve had both and enjoyed both. The Nait 2 is the one I wish Iā€™d kept.

3 Likes

Indeed, but the point I was trying to make is that the 3R likely offers a better musical performance than a modern Nait, for someone who prefers ā€˜vintageā€™ Naim., and gives remote control operation, unlike the Nait 2.

Of course, some think that the original Nait is the most musical of allā€¦ :roll_eyes: :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for everyoneā€™s thoughts and inputs. Strangely enough, nobody said anything along the lines of ā€œget your ears checked, the modern Nait is lightyears ahead of the old oneā€. I counted a few remarks of the category ā€œI wish I had kept mineā€, though. So I have decided to return the Nait XS 3 and keep my trusty olive Nait 2. I will figure out a solution for a dedicated headphone amp, and one of these days, I may even finish my half-hearted attempt to have a networked, remote controlled stepper motor driving the volume potentiometer on the Nait.

6 Likes

Always nice to read about people who trust their own ears!

Welcome to the forum,

M

3 Likes

I currently use an AV Options rebuilt Nait 2 ā€œoliveā€ in my main system. Over the years Iā€™ve tried a Nait 5i, SuperNait, and a 152/flatcap xs/155 combo thinking I can improve on the Nait 2, however, none of the above matched/surpassed the SQ of my Nait 2. I have not heard a Nait XS 3 to comment on your original question, nor have I had some of the more expensive Naim amp combos in my home because, quite frankly, theyā€™re outside my budget, so for now Iā€™m sticking with my Nait 2 which a thoroughly enjoy.

If I ever get the urge for a change, Iā€™ll probably gravitate to the many great tube integrated amps Iā€™ve heard such as Leben, Line Magnetic, Triode Labs, Rogue, Luxman, etc. These options are in my budget and share the same attributes that the Nait 2 delivers ā€“ wonderful tone/touch/texture, rhythm, momentum, overall musical cohesion. Some of the above even have remote controls and headphone outputs!

My two-cents (as we say in the States).

Good luck with your search! :wink:

7 Likes

(one of) my dealer(s) here in New York stocks Naim, Leben, and Line Magnetic. i think youā€™re on to something: tube kit and Naim seem to share some key musical virtues, though i couldnā€™t for the life of me explain why. recently, my dealer had a Line Magnetic integrated amp playing through some Dynaudio Special 40 speakers ā€“ good stuff.

3 Likes

Did the nait xs3 have a few weeks to run in ?

1 Like

You could try an SN2 well set up with Powerlines and a HiCAP and itā€™s a great headphone amp

1 Like

I think the Naits of the nineties had a much different sound, when it went from Olive to black the sound changed. The Olive Nait may produce a more dynamic sound at the expense of a more subtle sound ( in comparison ) of a SN3.

1 Like

Hearing music or voices through the Nait 2 feel like there is no amplification. The sound is lightweight, agile and fast with perfect timing. You just donā€™t care about frequency extremes or stereo image size. It keeps you awake all the time and stirr your interest.

5 Likes

I thought a Naira xs3 would be just as good. Apparently still not ?

1 Like

Thereā€™d be no shortage of people wanting to take that Nait2 off your hands. That, in a roundabout way, is my answer.
Regards,
Steve O.

8 Likes

To conclude this: I returned the Nait XS 3, kept the Nait 2 and solved my headphone issue with a Lehmann Audio Linear headphone amp, with which I am extremely happy. The lack of remote control was eventually resolved by means of a severely over-engineered stepper motor, which drives the Naitā€™s volume pot via a belt.
If anyone is interested in a non-invasive volume remote for a Nait 2, please let me know, I will then make the design / DIY template available in some way.

1 Like