Vintage Nait 2 vs modern Nait XS 3

To conclude this: I returned the Nait XS 3, kept the Nait 2 and solved my headphone issue with a Lehmann Audio Linear headphone amp, with which I am extremely happy. The lack of remote control was eventually resolved by means of a severely over-engineered stepper motor, which drives the Nait’s volume pot via a belt.
If anyone is interested in a non-invasive volume remote for a Nait 2, please let me know, I will then make the design / DIY template available in some way.

1 Like

Schroeder, when you say non-invasive, I take it you mean it does not require any modification to the NAIT in any way (just ensuring it falls within forum rules here)?

It would involve pulling off the volume knob and replacing it with another. No opening of the box whatsoever. Would that be a “modification” which violates forum rules?

Probably not.

Just so long as it’s not a commercial project of any kind.

Glad you kept the Nait2.

The remote volume control sounds interesting. Is your approach similar to the solution engineered by the speaker designer John Devore? If you go to his youtube channel (DeVore Fidelity… DeVore Fidelity Monkeyhaus System Spotlight: The Heart of the System, The EMT JPA66 Mk II Preamp) he outlines how he created an external remote box with a motor that operates his EMT pre-amp volume knob via elastic!

Edit: screenshot…

Hello YetiZone, I can’t find that particular video on YouTube, but yes, it is very similar - an elastic belt to minimise bending stress on the pot shaft and to eliminate the risk of damaging it by turning too far. It responds to the Naim app for the streamer, CD remote control, Apple TV remote and MQTT home automation messages via WiFi. Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 14.57.57

9 Likes

isn’t it easier to get up and turn it?

6 Likes

I recently picked up a Lehmann Linear headphone amp to go with my Focal Elegia. Pleased with the sound so far. Do you find yours runs quite warm, not hot, to the touch?

Mark.

sjw, it seems you’re not an engineer with too much time on his hands over the corona-flavoured easter holidays, are you? :wink:
You are absolutely right, of course - the time I spent on doing this would have seen me through occasional walks to the amp for another 130 years, I guess. And yet, I felt I had to do it…

5 Likes

marksnaim, actually, not at all. It never even gets lukewarm. My Linear is driving a 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic, though.

Fabulous - love seeing problem solving projects like this while the lockdown is in place!

I have to admit, that when I swap between my UQ2 and Nait2, the one main thing that frustrates is the lack of the remote for the Nait2.

1 Like

The Focals are 35 Ohms but I’m not sure if that would make much difference. Maybe I’ll get it checked over when the lockdown is over.

That is interesting, I had exactly the same experience some 2 years ago with a XS2. I couldn’t get over how much more I liked my serviced CB Nait 2 from the first note. On paper the XS2 should have been everything I wanted.

I sold the XS2 again within a week for the same price, wiser and no harm done. Instead I bought the LP12 turntable that I had promised myself since forever. The Rega P5 was nice but now this was a serious good sounding upgrade. The Nait 2 sounds fab also with the DAC-V1 I had at the time and with the NAT05 I still have.

The whole experience did create an appetite to at some point try one or more of the classic CB or olive pre-power combo’s. As an extra, I now know I will never sell the Nait 2. Will try to do it even more justice by upgrading the speakers to Neat Motive SX2 later this year hopefully.

Maurice

6 Likes

Long ago I bought the Nait 2 and I loved it right away.
Later I had the opportunity to buy the nait XS2 + Flatcap XS at a great price but in order to buy them I had to sell the nait2 convinced of one to make a great upgrade.
A month later I sold the xs2 and the flatcap xs and bought the nait2 again.
Now it sounds in front of me and I just contacted my naim dealer for his service

5 Likes

This is my favourite post in a long while. Love that funny looking half-size volume control box! I was just lamenting the absence of a remote for my Nait 2. Did not consider this possibility!

Really late to this but… did you consider using variable output from the ND5 XS2?

Won’t deal with his other sources though, will it.

:roll_eyes:

@AndyR - yes, I certainly did, but was lead to believe that the variable output worked by compressing the digital signal, hence wrecking the dynamics. I made an unscientific listening comparison, and concluded that the variable output was the devil’s work. I may be wrong with that assessment, but now I am quite happy with my over-engineered little black box. Without the COVID lockdown, this may have gone a very different route altogether…
@Neilb1906 - in all honesty, I am using no other sources, effectively. Qobuz on the ND5 XS 2 does a really nice job.

Agreed…i use the 5xs2
Your photo shows a cd player…thats why I commented.