Vintage TV and Movies - what are you watching?

Realised on Sunday I’d not played anything on the Oppo UDP-205 for a while.

Started off with BluRays:

Singin’ in the Rain - wonderful, absolutely wonderful. Amazing how we’ve been rewarded by better and better quality over the years for domestic viewing:

Jesus Christ Superstar location movie - always thought it was very naff when I was younger but enjoy it more and more with age especially Yvonne Elliman.

Last few nights:

DVD - The High Chaparral - have I said before I love Westerns? It was this or Bonanza when I was a kid but this always won me over. Some great stories. Superb theme music - I always though it was Elmer Bernstein’s theme but apparently not. How on earth did ITV get him to score Arthur of the Britons?

DVD- Are You Being Served? - brilliant comedy prompted by an article I saw about John Inman the other day.

What are you viewing?

I think the interesting TV thread is more for recent releases.

2 Likes

[quote=“Alley_Cat, post:1, topic:36500”]What are you viewing?
[/quote]

Babylon 5, on Blu-ray

(While waiting for S4 of Slow Horses to run its course, so to speak, before watching.)

2 Likes

Cracking isn’t it, as always.

Had first 2 seasons on VHS, then all on DVD. When it was launched on iTunes there was a special offer so I got the digital downloads at what I thought was a reasonable price only to be incensed when they released the ‘hi-def’ versions a couple of weeks later for little more.

How do you find the BluRay versions? I believe the original Amiga CGI was lost to history and only limited upscaling was available for live scenes.

How many decades past is vintage?

Good question, but I guess it would be things you don’t regularly have on streaming sites these days.

30-40 years + would be my best guess but when things 10-20 years old are banned or altered maybe even less.

1 Like

Well I had a box set of Moonlighting that seems to have vanished in the move. :rofl:

But Mrs. FZ really hates that show so “vanished” might not be the right word.

1 Like

A romcom for both sexes. Cybill Sheperd worked for me.

Willis and Sheperd truly despised each other from day one on set and it showed on screen. Which is probably why it worked so well.

1 Like

Citizen Smith

Power to the people!
The Tooting Popular Front hasn’t gone a way - we’re just biding our time :v:

12 Likes

Given its age it’s OK. Presented in 4:3 with a decent DTS-HD soundtrack. TBH, pacing is slow by contemporary standards, but the story is for the ages. I’d take it over Rings of Power any day.

2 Likes

We are currently watching ‘Charade’, with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, and Walter Matthau. Because it’s an older and slower movie, we watch it in two parts, so we’ve only seen the first half so far.
It’s quite good though.

3 Likes

Godzilla 1954

3 Likes

I have a Roku on my bedroom TV which has a Roku Reels App. This has a western section of several hundred Westerns. Randolph Scott, Audey Murphy, Gary Cooper… all free.

1 Like

Every one needs to see the Film Noir film " Laura." It is in gleeming B&W and its story is most satisfying as a mystery. Vincent Price has a fun part.

1 Like

Yes but contemporary standards of pacing are insane. They fall into two categories:

• Better be quick! Audience has a short attention span and event that’s divided between their iPhone.
  • We’ve forgotten how to make movies and that the format best tells nuanced simple stories in 2 hours. Instead we’ll do away with nuance and shove 10hrs of narrative plot points into 2hrs.
3 Likes

So true. Even though I find the very old movies to be a tad slow, I still enjoy them very much and it’s nice not having heart palpitations from an entertainment source.
We’ll be watching a current movie and I’ll say to my wife, why can’t they just make a normal, regular paced movie, without all the wild and wacky special effects. I actually enjoy a movie like that once in awhile, but they all seem to be like that now in order to satiate the audiences that must all be ADHD.

For those in the UK, the option of film plus music, Sunday 15th, Talking Pictures TV, Let No Man Write My Epitaph with Burl Ives and Ella Fitzgerald.

1 Like

Stumbled on this last night on Prime.

Have not seen it for many years but thoroughly enjoyed it, what a cast.

Seeing Jack Watson instantly reminds me of this set I must dig out - apparently I purchased it in 2008, where on earth has the time gone?

1 Like

I’m surely missing something (show or movie wise) or maybe you consider older viewing a bit basic (which would be fine)?

6 Likes