Vinyl accessory help!

Hi all,

As a new comer to vinyl again (last time was about 20 years ago) can you advise on related accessories such as something to clean records, anti static sleeves? Stylus etc. Specific recommendations would be awesome!

1 Like

Oh dearā€¦ Minefield aheadā€¦ :expressionless:

Cleaning Records - Wet or Dryā€¦? Or nothing at allā€¦? For Dry, a Carbon Fibre brush is a popular choice. Many sorts out there - from the original Decca Brush to modern clones.

Anti-Static Sleeves - eBay or MoFiā€¦?

Stylus - nothing, Linn Green Paper or the Audio Technica AT637ā€¦?

2 Likes

Thanks! I am very much a novice in this game but have a chunk of older records which could very much do with a clean up. They sound good still but I am sure some of the crackling could be reduced! New vinyl especially in paper sleeved is a right treat. Sticks to the mat and crackles when I touch it!

So cleaning the stylus is not really necessary then or have I read that wrong? I will play lots of older records that could be dirty in the grooves and have no intention of just playing new or perfect stuff which is why I asked.

Thanks again for kicking off!

1 Like

A wet clean almost always cures the static issues. Lots of advice regarding which one on search. Project is the best value one probably.

1 Like

You should clean your stylus and donā€™t operate under the illusion your stylus will clean-out the grooves (all 2 of them on double-sided vinyl). More likely, itā€™ll wear the stylus faster.

I use a velvet brush pad (am brand) for the vinyl when ā€˜on deckā€™, as this appears to operate better than the carbon fibre brushes IME. It seems to lift out/off dust and doesnā€™t create static.

For stylus cleaning, I use a Zero Dust cleaner (via Amazon) - a sticky gel-like pad which you drop the stylus on and it grabs the rubbish. This can be cleaned.

A local dealer may well offer a record cleaning service (perhaps via a Ray Monks) which you can try as a test-bed, before you seriously consider getting your own RCM(?).

p.s. beware applying liquids (e.g. IPA) near your stylus, as even gentle cleaning via a soft brush can cause the tip to come away - IIRC, this has happened with some Linn cartridges.

1 Like

I use Spincare Audiophile anti-static sleeves. I cleaned all records with a Project RCM first.

1 Like

My essential vinyl accessory list is; stylus gauge (I have a few, favourite being the Technics SH-50P1), alignment gauge (many to choose from - pick the one most appropriate for your deck/arm), Hunt EDA brush (same thing also comes as a Goldring Super Exstatic - THE best), stylus cleaner (I use a Discwasher and an Audio Technica AT637), Record Cleaning Machine (I currently use a Project VC-S), anti-static inners (I use MFSL, Spin Care Audiophile, and generic German-made poly-lined paper inners).

5 Likes

That looks a lot like the Tonar Dust Away I own. I find the Ortofon Record Brush much better, so if you havenā€™t tried that yet perhaps give it a shot as it wonā€™t break the bank?

To the OP:
Richardā€™s list is pretty complete, we use the same gauge as well. Suggestions for specific items are RTOM moongel damper pads for stylus cleaning, and for alignment I like the Schon template. Both suggestions that wonā€™t break the bank.

1 Like

Audio Technica Sonic Broom.
Use dry have had these for forty years The Best.

3 Likes

Interesting, I own this, but never used it dry. Doesnā€™t the velvety pad increase the amount of static?

1 Like

Seeā€¦ Look at the Minefield, full of different and conflicting adviceā€¦!!!

Do check the cost of any Record Cleaning Machineā€¦ They range from not-cheap to seriously expensive. I cannot justify one, sorry. But I do have a ā€˜vintageā€™ wet cleaning option available, when needed - which does zapp any static very wellā€¦ Better than a Zerostatā€¦ :astonished:

I use cheap, generic poly-lined sleeves from eBay. Cheap and good enough, IMO.

My stylus cleaning is via an AT637.

2 Likes

No static issues with this Iā€™ve used these for over forty years and keep a spare.
Iā€™ve tried others but nothing digs and lifts out like this with the twist.
All others just brush the dust over to the outside.
Itā€™s amazing how many donā€™t use it properly itā€™s in the wrist action.
:+1:t2:

2 Likes

Strangely, one would expect a velvet/velour brush to create static but my one (am brand) doesnā€™t and I find it far easier to use and clean than the likes of the Hunt EDA carbon filament brushes.

3 Likes

Interesting about the Ortofon Record Brush. I have about 20 or so different record brushes but havenā€™t got one of those. I must try one out, although I only ever use a brush to remove any stray fluff or dog hair that might migrate onto the LP surface, which is rarely required.

I remember back in the day one of the hifi mags did a record brush giant test of all the brushes available on the market and the Hunt EDA was found to be far and away the best and most effective. Having owned and tested so many, I can only agree with their findings. I believe the Goldring Exstatic is basically the same thing. I donā€™t know the Tonar Dust Away. It does look similar though.

3 Likes

The Hunt EDA is a combination of CF bristles and a velvet pad. I believe that the pad is what prevents the static.

2 Likes

Richard - correct but I think it perhaps depends on how hard you press down and then disengage (in a rolling motion IIRC?). I found the CF bristles would trap dust, which then wouldnā€™t release, such that one ended up using fingers et al to clean the fibres, which introduced potential contaminants on to the brush. After a while the CF bristles lost their vertical settings and/or started clumping.

ā€¦of course, I may be ham-fisted !

1 Like

Lightly press down for a few revolutions so the brushes do their thing. Theyā€™ll push a line of dust in front of them. Then angle the back down to make the velvet pad touch down and collect the dust line, twist off quickly gets most of the line of dust off the surface. Use the metal frame to clean the brush and pad, keeping mucky paws well awayā€¦ are the paraphrased instructions, IIRC. Iā€™ve always used that approach anyway.

1 Like

Interesting. Iā€™ve had Hunt EDAs and Goldring Exstatics for years and never had that happen. It has happened on a number of others though.

1 Like

With my re-entry into vinyl last week, I pulled out my old Discwasher and a bottle of D4 liquid.

2 Likes

I have had a Goldring Exstatic brush for many years, and I avoid using it as far as humanly possible.
I think that ā€œExstaticā€ must be short for ā€œExtra Staticā€! Its use is guaranteed to create so much static so that the Linnā€™s felt mat lifts off with the record (usually for it to drop back off-centre onto the platter and threaten the stylus/cantilever on its next rotation). IMHO it makes the use of a wet washing machine afterwards (Project VCS here) absolutely essential.
I tend to use the white poly-lined paper inner sleeves from Covers33.

2 Likes