Vinyl Advice

Not just fun, but hearing the best sounding music, the way it was meant to enjoyed…analog! (Here we go!)

1 Like

Don‘t force it tough :joy:. I‘ll be zen … yes it is the best sound and how its meant to be enjoyed. But not in my mini size flat :joy: (I‘ll stick with Qobuz)

I always wondered, does the S1 have the usual Naim hiss or are they quiet?

Sounds like a similar experience to me
Started with a Rega P2, started buying vinyl again after many years and soon became hooked, and the turntable was quickly swapped out for a P3.

Have spent most of lockdown acquiring more records, and had the itch to tweak, but in the end thought it easier to trade up for a better turntable and go moving coil
Now have a P8/Apheta and absolutely love it. Using a fono mc for the moment, so perhaps an Aria as the next logical upgrade.

I flirted with a CD player again about 6 months ago (rega Apollo) but to be honest have hardly ever used it.
Now I only stream (Tidal via Roon) or play vinyl

Usual Naim hiss??? You’re kidding, right?

Um, no. It’s a well known thing at least up to 252 and 300.

Well, I have a 250 for many years playing to Linn Isobariks and I never noticed a hiss. I use it in my second system along with a CDS3 and Revox PR 99 MKlll. I also did not have any hiss with my 500/552, and there is certainly none with the Statement.

But not the Nova apparently if it can run Volti Rivals and if Mitch still has the frequency range, not the 500 and up. I can’t hear any from a 500 into NBLs with new tweeters but I stop around 13k these days.

The Isobariks have only 86dB/1W/1m sensitivity, which may make all the difference. I have 89 dB (and Richard’s SL2 have 88) and I can only (and barely) hear it when I listen very closely in a very quiet room when I am one meter from the speakers.

So it is not loud but is there, and most other pricey brands don’t do it (as in, you really have to stick your ear to the tweeter or mid-range driver to hear a slight hiss), so there is the occasional thread from people new to Naim who are surprised, like the one I linked above.

I suppose it is a “sound first” thing that Naim accepts as a side effect of the amp design that they think makes the best music. And indeed that’s how it should be.

I meant Naim’s classic amp designs and the Unitis are quite different. It comes more from the 252 than the 300, i.e., when I waited on the 252 and used the 300 with a different pre, it was much less.

That was what I was asking, if the S1 and his previous 500 do

if Mitch still has the frequency range,

A fair point, but I’d rather not think about that!

And here it is, along with the reference belt. Sounding lovely. I’ll probably leave the motor and Nero upgrade, as it’s about half the cost of a new Planar 6.

2 Likes

I balanced it since those photos :flushed:

2 Likes

Enjoy. Yeah, it’s costly when you have to change the motor

1 Like

I think I have mentioned it before, but if the motor is running at an unstable speed then you only need to replace the capacitors.

The speed is fine, I’m really just trying to get the best from it without spending silly money and avoiding a new turntable as I like this one quite a bit.

Yep, fine tt. I still run mine with a vms 20e. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

On the phono stage front try and audition a Cyrus phono signature and PSXR2 power supply. At the £2.5k price point it’s awesome.

If it’s a floor born vibration that is the problem, then you might want to look at SRA platforms/stands. SRA’s sister company does vibration reduction for nuclear submarines (and the platforms are named accordingly). I have one under my SME. They are made to order for your equipment.

However, in view of the proximity to your speakers, you might also be having some airborne/ feedback issues?

Well, in this case i´d rather doubt that a higher level Rega deck will change characteristics much. Therefore I´d go with a second hand LP12 (Karousell or Circus, Lingo, Ittok LV II or III or Ekos I), a new Technics SL-1200G or a second hand and freshly maintained Pioneer PL-70L II.

As said by others earlier your systems performance will benefit from a good phono preamp as well. Ampearl RE-2030 will be one of these good performers and comes for rather little money and is playing in the vdh The Grail class.

Hence Ampearl RE-2030 is MM only as long as you do not use a MC stepup transformer I´d go in the beginning with a Sumiko Songbird, Goldring Eroica oder any other good MC high output performer.

1 Like

If @Sls doesn’t want to change the sound characteristics of a Rega, the Rp8 would be a dramatic change, for around 1k.

3 Likes