Vinyl and digitization

So I am curious, from those in the know.

What is the net effect of digitizing the analogue input on the Unit range on a vinyl analogue source.

I have to admit that I had absolutely now idea this was happening till recently. And also, my Star sounds a billion times better playing vinyl (or anything else for that matter) than the analogue amp I replaced with it.

Now I am totally not bothered by it and as long as it sounds great who cares, but I am curious at what level it would make a difference, what of the vinyl source would be lost considering the high res digital capability of the Star and one what kind of equipment would any change become evident.

When A-D/D-A is done well with both designed to work optimally together then it’s very hard to detect any loss. Of course, it’s also pretty easy to make it so it’s obviously detectable - it all boils down to how well it has been done. I haven’t listened to an analogue source through the Nova, but knowing Naim I’m confident that they would have paid a great deal of attention to this.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Just seen quite a few folks being put off by this so was curious when it would actually be more than a mental barrier and actually audible.

But at the sampling rate the Unit is doing it I cannot imagine anything less than a true to form reproduction of the analogue signal.

I also assume that the Burr-Brown chipset is also handling the A-D conversation.

I play my LP`12 through my Star and am very happy with the sound so I think Naim have done a good job.
When I found out about anologue input being digitised initially I was a bit surpised and slightly concerned about sound quality, listening dispelled this. Now with the convenience of being able to stream a vinyl album to my kitchen dinning room system, I am very happy Naim did it this way.

2 Likes

Yup, with higher end turntables it should have been obvious is there was an issue.

It is a demonstration of how digital itself is not the inherent negative some analogue diehards seem to believe.

2 Likes

Yup, unfortunately the costly early days of storage and internet bandwidth and the resultant lossy formats did nothing to improve that.

I’ve herd a entry level Rega into an atom which was really very nice to listen to. For the every day listener you couldn’t complain, other than the expensive habit that you develop . See Naim seem to be rather nasty, you get a taste and realise how well your ears are connected to your brain, then “nek minute” car sold and a 252/300 on the way…

I went through that last part in the span of a few months, though thankfully had no car anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.