Vinyl cleaning services

Keith Monks used to have a list of outfits who would clean lps for you. I used to use a shop in St Albans but it closed down a few years ago.

I’ve never used (or heard of) Audiozomba. Maybe they do a good job or maybe not. I used to get records cleaned for £1 each at a local dealer on his Project machine. Eventually, the guy suggested I buy my own machine as I was taking so many records to the shop. I got a good deal on an end of line Project VCS2 and consider it to be an upgrade to my system. I wish I’d bought one sooner.
As others have said, why spend a few hundred on having your records cleaned elsewhere when for similar money you could do them yourself (even just a few per day) and have your own machine.
Your money, your choice though obviously .

The list of Keith Monks cleaning centres includes Russ Andrews and Grahams HiFi, for example. No idea what they charge.

I’d gladly clean people’s lp’s for $2.50 each. Help pay off the capital sitting in my rcm.

I’ve literally just yesterday sent off an l.p. of mine go analogue seduction for a clean. Will let you know.
Cost about six UK pounds Inc post ECT

1 Like

I use to clean vinyl with gin and cotton wood. It did the job well-enough.

So to get a job lot cleaned… Say 100 records… ain’t going to be cheap. Much more than the £300 or so it would cost to buy yourself a machine I’d imagine…

1 Like

That’s what we’ve all been saying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, but I don’t plan to get all mine done. I plan to see what the result is and consider buying a unit.

Where are you based in the country? I’m happy to help get the old man’s records clean for you.

100 records at 3.6 minutes per record is 6 hours. That seems like a big chore. I appreciate that some would enjoy the process, but not me.

£300 to get them all thoroughly done and then just give them an occasional once over with the Disco Antistat that I already have somewhere is an attractive option.

Thanks Horses, that’s a generous offer. Not one I feel able to accept though.

1 Like

3.6 minutes per record is incredibly optimistic

But made the maths easy :blush:
Even more reason to send them off for someone else to do.

Everyone who owns a decent rcm knows what the result is and can tell you. You don’t need to do the experiment yourself. This is 2020; a good wet rcm will improve your vinyl playback a lot. Now you know!

Was meant as a reply to the OP… Apols.

1 Like

I have a strong opinion. But I’m going to be quiet :zipper_mouth_face:

I’ve agreed with everyone that I will get an RCM. For ongoing maintenance and new purchases it makes sense.

I just don’t fancy wading through the backlog.

Oh go on Opus, do share!
As long as you don’t mind me having a different one.

I agree with the sentiment that life is too short to spend hours cleaning records. My approach was to invest in an Audiodesk ultrasonic job and only do a record when I want to play it. Pop a record in the machine, go and listen to some music ( it is relatively quiet). 5 minutes later you can take the record out.

1 Like