Vinyl pricing

Some cds are £30. And the same cd in vinyl £5
It is crazy

When cds are deleted. People then charge what they like .especially if the cd is a new copy.

When I was back at uni. I used to purchase an album a week and they were, istr, c. £3.60 each. If we do an inflation calculation then that would be less than £14 in today’s money. So, yes, when they’re getting to twenty or twenty five pounds there’s a bit of extra markup there. However at the end of the 1970’s there was massive production capability and fierce competition. Also we need to think of the potential punter; typically trendy youngsters who ‘dabble’ in the fashion and have money to burn - the sort that think nothing of throwing a grand at the latest iphone every couple of years - or older/more monied audiophiles who will spend the money for their hobby.

Personally I’m gorging on the glut of cheap CD’s whilst the option is there! hifi news were saying there’s a report that sales in the US of vinyl now exceed CD - that’s value though, when CD’s are a fifth of the price of vinyl then that puts a different twist on the figures.

1 Like

i agree with you. they think we are all wealthy

1 Like

Seem to recall vinyl being around £6-£8 when in University in the mid to late 80’s , CDs well over £10.

The number of hours I must have spent traipsing from one shop to another hoping to save 50p or a £1 beggars belief now, but I suspect it kept me fitter. Unfortunately the ‘music scene’ went into sharp decline at that time for several years.

Yes music was crap in the 80s …except for

• Metallica
  • Talking Heads
  • AC/DC
  • Joy Division
  • Bon Jovi
  • Foreigner
  • Journey
  • Motorhead
  • R.E.M.
  • U2
    Pixies, Rush , Smith’s, The Cure, M Jackson, K Bush Etc etc etc…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.