Vinyl record opening scalpel

With the world presently going to hell in a handcart, along comes the latest bit of irresistible audiophile tat to tempt you to empty your wallet

Yours for only 75 dollars is the vinyl record opening scalpel.

I usually use a thumbnail.:flushed:

2 Likes

Crazy. A simple lighter has served me well for decades

I use an old modelling scalpel that cost a few quid, and doubles up to clean the center hole if a bit dodgy. I am a simple man …

3 Likes

I would add the Ramar record brush as a must of vinyl accessories.

Only 282 euros

3 Likes

Or, there’s always this version from Screwfix, at the princely sum of £1.49.

ae235

Non-audiofile, I know, but still… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Is it for getting the picture out of picture discs?

1 Like

The question is, will you hear a difference? N.B. This is one instance where I would caution agsinst blind testing, given the length of the blade…

5 Likes

Ah but, ah but, the Screwfix one has an adjustable blade, so one can tailor the length for the best possible SQ.

2 Likes

Oddly enough, for the past 12 years I’ve had a specific knife that I use solely to slit open the edges of the shrink wrap. IIRC it was a Christmas present from my Brother in law when I was out visiting my Sister in Morocco back in 2009.

1 Like

A lighter?

To weld the plastic wrap back together?

Stop the world. I want to get off.

I use the small foil-cutter blade in my sommelier’s corkscrew.

1 Like

Moving the flame along the seam of the plastic wrap where the opening of the cover is, and the seam splits neatly open without ripping

Not too fast or it won’t work, not too slow for obvious reasons

1 Like

And you brought that in through Customs? Brave man.

Don’t forget that Richard is an Ambassador. In France it means diplomat too. So no problem to pass the frontiers.

3 Likes

Hey, I’ve heard some folks will pay over $10.00 for 10 feet of speaker cablel!!!

2 Likes

You can get a discount if purchased together with the Clearaudio LP drill. Discount code is BTTMUAOVAE (BuyTheTwoMostUselessAndOverpricedVinylAccessoriesEver).

1 Like

Perhaps the greatest achievement in human history (after the Moon landing) is the Clear Audio Record Drill. I use mine frequently.

2 Likes

Nice knife

1 Like

I’ll admit it looks better with your Solstice than whatever pen I normally use!

1 Like