Vinyl record opening scalpel

He carries it with him everywhere :grin:

2 Likes

Now that’s a vinyl record opening scalpel

13 Likes

I’m sure you all know this, but there is a whole category of products which are intended as “gifts for the man who has everything.”

While I’m sure this is an asinine purchase to make for yourself, I’d be happy to receive it as a birthday present from a friend who knows that I’m into records.

I don’t think this odd.

While I’m not really a “knife guy,” I see on other subject matter fora that owning and using nice knives is very popular. If you use a tool to perform a task somewhat often, it makes perfect sense to own a tool that you really like. Of course it’s a luxury (if you spend a lot for the tool.)

My dad passed away a few years ago and I have the little Swiss army knife he carried for decades. I use that these days to open new records. It still has the little hearing aid battery box on the little chain, for nostalgia’s sake.

1 Like

Thanks Bart. I feel a little less odd…

1 Like

Adjustable depth too.

1 Like

And … … … one could buy 40 of mine for the cost of 1 of those … … … so, what’s it gonna be, I wonder?

Hmmmm :thinking: :thinking:

Opening new LPs / CDs with this - doing the job properly for many a year, fingers still intact.

2 Likes

When I was in my teens, a Scout and then Venture Scout, it was the norm to carry a “sheath knife” - a fixed blade knife in a sheath worn on tge belt. It’s intended use was whittling wood etc. My first one I bought from a school friend, was of the ‘Bowie’ style (not David!), with a 6” blade. After a couple of years I bought a new one, a 6” stilletto, with double-sided blade. Why? Because it looked “cool” (though that wasn’t the word of the day). It was useful the day I went with two others on a 3-day expedition, carrying all we needed - except muggins here responsible for the rent somehow left the pegs behind, so we had to make our own pegs! Roll on some 30 years or so, and I uncovered both knives in a box when about to move house, and marvelled at what once had been a normal tool for a young person to carry. It coincided with a police “truce” on weapons to try to get some off the street - so I thought it would be easiest and safest to dispose of them that way. To say the Police Officer in the local station was taken aback is an understatement - his jaw fairly gaped when he pulled the stilletto out of its sheath!

1 Like

That’s what I use too

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.