Vinyl releases on pre order

Indeed Dread - they’re both Gearbox/Optimal.

1 Like

I have ‘Tales of the Algonquin’ on vinyl - excellent.

3 Likes

Isca - Is that the Klimt LP? Always wondered how those sound and whether or not they were an authorised release. I think the same company has also put out reissues of this vintage by Keith Tippett and maybe, Mike Westbrook.

1 Like

Yes, that is correct. I don’t know much about Klimt other than they appear to be based in France. Probably a digital copy onto a disc ? I purchased it new for £20 a couple of years ago. SQ is good, no pops and clicks and the artwork is of a high standard.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I did try out one of their Keith Tippett reissues in a shop and wasn’t over-impressed. Either taken from CD or needle drop. At least with these Decca reissues we know that the origins are sound.

Shame with the Tippett as they did a decent job with the sleeve and it was 180g too.

1 Like

Artic Monkeys - The Car, Domino Records (2022)

Really looking forward to this Alex Turner is a hugely talented musician and songwriter and the Artic’s albums always sound incredible.

1 Like

I’ve got the White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be box sets but at £164.99 for Revolver that’s too much for me.

1 Like

Per Husby Septett - Peacemaker, Bbe. (2022)

Never heard of this before but the one track released on youtube is exceptional.

Below is taken from the official promotional material

Unearthed by Mike Peden for BBE Music, Per Husby Septett’s ‘The Peacemaker’ is a beautiful, deep and under-the-radar small big band set recorded in 1976 by the elite of Norway’s jazz cognoscenti, led by pianist and band leader Per Husby. Originally issued for Husby on the Studentersamfundets Plateselskap label by the Student Society in Trondheim, Norway, this obscure jazz rarity had no budget for PR or distribution, and with just a mere 500 copies pressed sales were scarce; it soon became a collectors item in Norway and across the globe. The album creates a big-sounding dynamic mix of original compositions by Per Husby and covers, including Harold Land’s modal masterpiece title cut ‘The Peacemaker’, plus a top-draw selection of tunes encompassing post bop, modal, bossa and ballads by the likes of Kenny Wheeler, Cedar Walton and Charlie Parker.? Reissued with original artwork and the approval of Per Husby himself, who has also provided the sleeve notes, ‘The Peacemaker’ is now available once again for download, streaming, CD and as a double 180g LP cut at 45rpm by the Grammy-nominated Carvery studio.

3 Likes

Not long to go until the ‘Revolver’ box set arrives, and this is fascinating…

5 Likes

Funny you should post this - I’m currently eight minutes in!

Edit - The ‘car’ analogy is very perceptive and illustrative as to the process undertaken. Interesting stuff.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Just ordered it

Looks really interesting can’t wait to hear it.

1 Like

NEW ALBUM – TWINKLE3 FEAT. DAVID SYLVIAN / KAZUKO HOHKI

This new album – Upon This Fleeting Dream – to be released on 28 October 2022 features David Sylvian reading English translations of Japanese poetry alongside the music of Twinkle3. Kazuko Hohki reads in Japanese.

David also contributes field recordings and designed the artwork. Clive Bell of Twinkle3 confirms that David appears on ‘nearly all the tracks’.

[]

The narrative voices of David Sylvian and Kazuko Hohki’s (Frank Chickens, Kahondo Style…) velvet timbre are the cornerstones of this compelling journey while the tangling and abstract rhythms transcending from Dave Ross’ modular synths and Richard Scott’s sampler and analogue electronics, unravel and unfold a mesmerizing universe with unknown dimensions and frequencies of a fleeting dream.’

Due for vinyl release on Cortizona on 28 October 2022.

Can’t wait !

2 Likes

Thanks Bob, I looked on Qobuz and saw that the album is to be released on October 20th. Looking forward to giving Per a listen.

1 Like

Though I’d not heard Peacemaker before the name Per Husby was somehow familiar and by sheer coincidence flicking through my Chet Baker records just now I was drawn to The Improvisor released on Cadence Jazz Records in 1984.

The Improvisor was recorded over two dates in August of '84 in Oslo, Norway at Club 7 and at Hot House on both dates Chet was accompanied on the piano by Per Husby.

Per not only played but produced the record, wrote the sleeve notes and also took the cover photo. Per had been asked to find an American Jazz ‘name’ prepared to play with a local Rhythm section to headline the Vadsø Jazz Festival.

Per had been to see Chet play with Stan Getz in Oslo the previous year on the same tour that produced the excellent Line for Lyons LP Per states that though it was Stan Getz who was the ‘star’ of the concert it was Chet who stole the show.

A year later Chet was invited to play the festival in Norway and turned up in a Stetson and sandals minus a trumpet it had like so many times before and after been ‘stolen’ in Paris.

A trumpet was borrowed and after the festival Chet did an impromptu tour of Norway beginning and ending on the two dates he played with Per that where recorded for The Improvisor.

It’s such a great story and indicative of Jazz music in the 70’s & 80’s unfashionable back in the States many Jazzmen came to Europe and literally played and recorded to earn a living. Jazz lovers in Norway, Sweden and Denmark and all over Europe where treated to some of the genres biggest names touring and playing in the most intimate and small venues.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing, think the Beatles are in good hands. Looking forward to Revolvers release.

1 Like

Out 25th November. Already heard the WAV files of this, and it is SUPERB!

3 Likes

I bought an Omar Korshid album from We Want Sounds a little while back, very pleased with it

81bIA91keyL._AC_SY450_1

'Renaissance - Beyoncé

Tom Skinner - Voices of Bishara, Brownswood. (2022)

Sons of Kemet’s Tom Skinner first long playing release under his own name and not his usual alias Hello Skinny. I’ve heard the track Bishara from the LP which most definitely features Shabaka’s unmistakable somewhat ferocious sound.

Look forward to reviewing the rest over the coming months.

2 Likes