Vinyl releases on pre order

You should get the Mal Waldron too. It’s great. You can probably stream it to check out the music, but that might not quite do the Kevin Gray remaster any justice.

2 Likes

Out 7 July - love this album…

Quartet was Ultravox’s third album with Midge Ure on vocals, which followed two hugely successful albums, ‘Vienna’ and Rage In Eden’. The previous albums were produced by German producer, Conny Plank, for this they look at George Martin to take the helm. Featuring four UK Top 40 singles, Reap The Wild Wind, We Came To Dance, Visions In Blue and the silver awarded Hymn.

This new 4 LP Clear Vinyl box set contains 36 tracks in total, with a 17 previously unreleased recordings. LP’s 1+2 the original 1982 album production master, A-sides, B-sides & live tracks, along with a previously unreleased newly mixed concert recorded at Hammersmith Odeon in December 1982.

The set is packaged in a Rigid Slipcase, 2x Wide Spine Sleeves and 4x Heavyweight Clear Vinyl

LP1 - Quartet: Original 1982 Analog Master: Reap The Wild
Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue /
When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go)

LP2 - Singles, B-Sides: Reap The Wild Wind [Single Version] /
Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Hymn [Single Version] / Monument
/ The Thin Wall [Live] / Visions In Blue [Single Version] / Break
Your Back / Reap The Wild Wind [Live] / We Came To Dance [Single Version] / Overlook

LP3 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part One]: Reap The Wild Wind /
When The Scream Subsides / The Thin Wall / New
Europeans / We Stand Alone / I Remember (Death In The
Afternoon) / Visions In Blue / Mr. X / Sleepwalk

LP4 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part Two]: The Voice / Vienna /
Astradyne / All Stood Still / Passing Strangers / Mine For Life / Hymn / The Song (We Go)

8 Likes

Just ordered the two Bill Evans from Craft.

3 Likes

@Isca_Dumnoniorum Snap!

4 Likes

So did I this morning :wink:

1 Like

Just ordered new Dave Matthews album released the middle of the month

1 Like

Released Friday 12th May. Possibly my favourite album of this century.

6 Likes

I bought this the day it was released and it’s sonically very, very good I saw a documentary on the band and they where really invested in the recording of this and getting the best possible sound.

Don Cherry, Dewey Fedman, Charlie Haden, Ed Blackwell - Old & New Dreams, ECM (2023)

From ECM’s Luminescence series.

1 Like

Gary Burton - The New Quartet, ECM (2023)

Another from the ECM Luminescence series.

2 Likes

Basie All Stars - Live at Fabrik, NDR (2023)

Another live recording from the Fabrik Clum in Hamburg featuring an excellent band.

3 Likes

I’d never heard this before tonight and it’s not really my cup of tea I’m not into ECM wholesale there has been some fantastic releases on the label but equally some not so great.

The New Quartet is a really pretty decent title. I like the albums that followed – Ring, Dreams So Real, and Passengers – better, but with Mick Goodrick on guitar you can’t go wrong.

Old and New Dreams is one of the very best of the ECM catalog. I have a decent U.S. WEA pressing and look forward to hearing what they do with it. I have all their albums (two titles on ECM, two on Black Saint).

The reissue I look forward to the most of Keith Jarrett’s Bremen/Lausanne Solo Concerts 3-LP box, coming later this year.

1 Like

I much prefer Burton in his younger days - Gary Burton and Keith Jarrett, Throb and before…

If you want early Gary Burton, Jazz Winds from a New Direction with him as a sideman to Hank Garland from 1961 is one of my favorite jazz guitar albums.

I’m not a great lover of the vibes in Jazz Bobby Hutcherson a side I’m a 70’s kid and it just reminds of Patrick Moore and TV closing down for the night. I’ve another aversion in Jazz music the organ so don’t own any Larry Young, John Patton, Baby Face Willette, Shirley Scott who for me ruins many a Stanley Turrnentine date I just get a vision of old 60’s TV and Film with young fresh faced ‘kids’ doing 60’s dances. It’s irrational I know but there it is.

Like the New Quartet I’d never heard Old and New Dreams which I will definitely buying the couple of tracks I’ve played sound excellent.

Don’t forget “Good Vibes” from 1970….

1 Like

Once I first heard Bobby Hutcherson’s vibes on Eric Dolphy’s Out to Lunch I was totally hooked. Prior to that I was a big fan of Modern Jazz Quartet and Milt Jackson in general.

All those organ combo artists you mention are great in my book. :slight_smile:

Old and New Dreams is awesome stuff. 3/4s of the great Ornette Coleman 60s quartet.

2 Likes

Fatoumata Diawara - London KO, Wagram (2023)

New record from the excellent Fatoumata Diawara.

3 Likes

AL TANNER QUINTET - Happiness Is Takin’ Care Of Natural Business Dig?, Jazzman (2023)

Jazzman Records reissue of the mega rare live recording from 1967