Vinyl snobs

As I hinted elsewhere*, I’m quite a fan of Marina Hyde’s particular brand of snark, despite being an archetype of the Naim Community demographic.

* The text “hinted elsewhere” is a link to my reply in another topic which, given the way links are formatted on this site (that is, not at all), you might not notice.

1 Like

Well it’s not a particularly good piece is it?

Who is it intended to entertain? Seems as though it’s just designed to ridicule those who enjoy vinyl ?

She’ll be after philatelists next!

3 Likes

I note part of HH’s post has now been edited as has part of my reply, takes away some of the context for subsequent posts and reasons for challenging some matters

They should all just stick to ‘Looney Tunes.’

2 Likes

I think you’re correct.

But, the sad thing is, there will be people on this forum that’ll bookmark that page. Next time there’s a vinyl vs digital arguement; they’ll be quoting from it and claiming it to be fact.

Just you wait and see. :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

2 Likes

And not edited by me!! I did read the article and was horrified by the idea of someone dancing on their LPs. They have never been cheap and given the effort by the artists to get them just so, and the costs of buying them, they seem to me like something that should be cherished. I’ve always treated my vinyl with kid gloves. I’m probably one of the people being singled out. The RSD idea is certainly a good one, and I’ve bought a few, but when the highlight is another copy of some tedious Dire Straits nonsense one does worry. It’s hardly the cutting edge, rather the milking of old gits with no imagination. Which sort of gets back to the author having a point, albeit one not made as well as it might have been.

2 Likes

I think the reaction here has had more to do with the now ‘edited” post which you must have missed. It was not funny at all.

1 Like

Editing posts without warning and justification is really poor, especially when no other Forum member has complained.

I don’t know the context here, but you get the irony……

Tbh I think there is a little bit of snobbery going on but I generally find it’s from newbie’s and not what I’d call traditionalists. I think it doesn’t matter how and what you listen to it’s the enjoyment of music as an art form that’s important.

3 Likes

But this is exactly what occurs on the Forum, to a lesser or greater degree, word salad aside. And not just about vinyl, but also streaming and any other HiFi component. The fact that it’s a left orientated newspaper is neither here not there.

We all live in our own ideal, free to read what we want, until it gets edited without our permission.

1 Like

She hit a nerve though, didn’t she.

Can’t help but feel the reaction here has a little bit of the lady doth protesting too much about it.

.sjb

6 Likes

Can you imagine the vibrations being picked up by the record player. Tut tut.

3 Likes

… that’s similar to how my setup is. However, playing piano and listening to records simultaneously is a rarity over here :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I read the article. Found it generally a bit light and empty, lazy. But I half agree on one point, there’s some snobisme in buying turntables by a large part of young people today, because it’s trendy to have a turntable at home . There’s, since some years now, a lot of movies where you can see a turntable .
The french dictionary Larousse gives two meanings for snobbery:

1. Unconditional admiration for the manners and opinions in vogue in circles held to be distinguished and which manifests itself in a slavish imitation of their
  2. Artificial admiration for everything new, fashionable.

The second meaning suits well the tendency to buy lps by some young people today.
They don’t really care, as us here, about sound quality.

3 Likes

I disagree. Arguably the lazy perspective is that the vinyl revival is all perfectly logical; based solely on sound quality; it was a disgrace it was allowed to go away and so on.

I was brought up with vinyl. I couldn’t wait to get away from it and I’ve never regretted it. All formats possess the seeds of their own destruction as time and practicality marches on. Recycled 70s vinyl was poor. Most people in the 70s listened on music centres and vinyl went away for the fairly logical reason that portability will always triumph over quality and most people didn’t really hear that quality in the first place. What they noted was that, whilst album covers could be great for skinning up, it was not especially relaxing to have to get up to turn over every 20 minutes; vinyl was far too easy to damage and storing more than 300 or so in your average flat soon became impractical.

The return of vinyl in part reflects some trends which also look backwards and I don’t mean that in a pejorative way. Nowt wrong with a format acquiring a bit of retro cool. It also reflects some peoples need for ownership when compared to streaming. Again nothing wrong with that. I can even respect the people who buy it but don’t. I owned the Origin of Species for 30 years before I finally read it. Albums can be fantastic often iconic art even when the music is bang average.

Where it becomes antagonistic is in the claims of an absolute superiority. I’ve yet to hear that. Differences are minimal and often simply preferences. Mastering trumps format. It becomes little more than fetish when people bang on about the smell of vinyl or the process of selecting and playing. Again, I’ve no issue with that per se but let’s not claim that others are missing out by not indulging or that it’s an advantage. They’re really not. It’s a fetish. Again though. Nothing wrong with that.

If it’s really about music then why do people care so much about disrespecting those who want to get to the music quicker?

I always think it’s very revealing when people say that they scanned or didn’t read it. Why? If the case is objectively sound your ego isn’t going to collapse cos a journalist disagrees. The counter arguments against vinyl are pretty solid and sane. Actually persisting with it contains an element, to varying degrees, of illogicality. Just admit that and get on with enjoying your vinyl.

9 Likes

The post was flagged - part of it was irrelevant to the thread and in breach of forum rules (regarding a politician), so that part was removed. The rest (that was relevant) was left.

Lol. Thank you!

I enjoyed reading the article and thought it had more than a grain of truth in it. I still have my vinyl and a Rega RP3 but I don’t buy into the masochism that some people indulge in.
For example one of the Record Store Day releases was a 5 album set of my first Grateful Dead concert. It costs about £120 but I’m lucky enough to be in a position to suck that up. However it is artificially limited and I had the choice of getting up at stupid o’clock to queue for ages to buy it. Sod that for a game of soldiers!
I can’t see how RSD is a good idea - all it does is create an inflated secondary market on Ebay and Discogs. It’s hard to relate the glee that is associated with a release selling out to anything like a love of music. I’ve got access to the same concert on Quobuz so there’s a sale lost. Not a great way of supporting record stores in my view. Barabara Ellen’s article was spot on about the snobbery - fine if that floats your boat but don’t complain when someone takes the piss.

5 Likes

You should still be able to get a copy of the Dead RSD release, if you want. My local store had one on Saturday which they sold (I was away) but they ordered another copy for me on Monday, and the distributor had quite a lot of stock. (I was at the night before!)

1 Like

Thanks Clive - I’ll give it a try.