Vinyl

i have heard a lot of high end dacs, from full stack dcs ( vivaldi with upsampler and clock), Esoteric Grandiosio , Meitner, Ch precision, dcs rossini…
They never convinced me enough to think that best vinyl rig can be surpassed by digital. Not yet.
Do you think that the Dave will be the only dac that will be miles away of all these dacs, some of them costing more than 100k?
Do you think the day i will hear the Dave i will say to me : « Whouah! i would never have thought that digital could sound so good! time for me to sell my phono/ vinyl system ! »
Seriously IB, if the Dave was so special, do you think that other hifi forums would not describe it as such? It’s described as a very good dac , indeed, but there are a lot more better dacs than the Dave on the market. And even on the same price level, some prefer other dacs.

Did you heard to some modern high end decks as Vertere MG1, Brinkman, Kronos, Spiral Groove, with high end phono pre as Tom Evans, Pass Labs, Einstein, Vitus, …and compared these vinyl systems with your magical Dave ?
I doubt you have made that.

Come on guys. I only started the thread because it was a wet afternoon, I gave the Xerxes some grease and Norah sounded particularly…well…

Yes vinyl to my ears is preferable but not even I has a monopoly on good taste. Each to their own😀

3 Likes

Who knows? I certainly don’t. You are you and I am me.

I understood you were planning to have a listen, and with the MScaler, so I am sure you will come back and tell us what you think (and no, I won’t be surprised if you still declare vinyl best!). But then it is so much to do with the mastering.

Indeed not.

Actually, reflecting on it, all sorts of different things in a music system engage or appeal to different people, with some loving one speaker and hating another and vice versa, some loving the music played through systems presenting the music as accurately as possible, while others prefering their music ‘coloured’, etc. On this basis, differences between vinyl and digital are just another factor in sound preference. I think I have indulged enough of this thread already, so on this point I will close and leave those preferring vinyl, or just having vinyl whether or not they prefer it, to carry on.

i plan to listen to the Dave with Bryston electronics and Gold Note speakers, at the end of this month. I will report.
Just to see if i could replace or not one day my nds. But certainly not to have only a digital source, without vinyl. For the old classic albums from the 70’s, digital is far away for now to give such real and lively presentation as a good turntable / cart/ phono. I have not the slightest doubt on that.

Not sure where you wanted this thread to go - but I guess not in the direction it did. To try and end on a positive note I received in the post a couple of days back a pretty old Down The Road by Manassas. Popped it on the Xerox’s - sound fair leapt out of the speakers. Fair bit of inter track crackling and popping - but it was fantastic. Getting it professionally cleaned along with a dozen or so other albums I’ve purchased over the years. There is something ‘authentic’ about some vinyl that digital just cannot capture - particularly pure analogue recordings from the 60’s and 70’s. Don’t get me wrong - I’ve got some horrible pressings/productions from that era that have been vastly improved by CD digital remasters, but there is something about a good one that cannot be beaten. I’m revisiting a lot of my vinyl at this moment. Love my CD player as well though.

1 Like

Not. Xerox!!! Xerzes. Quite an amusing auto correct.

Xerxes!!!

I had to re-read that a few times and then the penny dropped… Xerxes!

So what’s best? This bloke Dave or a Xerox?

Depends on Dave’s skills as a forger…

1 Like

my cd sound better than my vinyl.
I dont think my trichord Dino mk3 with Dino+ is up to the job

Xerox of course. They perfected reproduction before anyone else!

1 Like

Home copying is killing music!

1 Like

I like the way this thread is now!

1 Like

Office copying?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.