Violectric V281 headphone amp - who is using it?

razzzor,

Curious… did you compare the Niimbus to the V281?

1 Like

ChrisBell,

No, I did not compare the Niimbus to the V281.

A dealer in Canada offered a home demo of the Niimbus and I ended up buying it.

It was more money than I wanted to spend, but I am very happy with it. I have no regrets.

1 Like

My Focal Utopia cable is being re-terminated to XLR… I’m eager to hear balanced vs single ended feed.

1 Like

I can easily switch back and forth between single-ended and balanced with my Nordost Heimdall 2 headphone cables. There is no doubt you will be happy with the change.

That has always been a great feature of the Nordost.
How do you like the cable?

I have it for both my HD-800 S and LCD-4’s. Both with the extension. I’ve tried other cables but kept the Heimdall’s. I do like the cable that comes with the Audeze LCD-4’s. It’s a $600 cable. I’m going to put the Heimdall back on it so I can switch beween my HP’s at the end of the extension. When I went through my last downsizing I replaced expensive Ansuz Ethernet cables with Heimdall 2’s. I also have a RCA/RCA Heimdall from my ND555 through a Cardas RCA/XLR converter into the V281.
The Heimdall HP cable was originally recommended by my dealer (Tyler) as well as from other places.
Bud

I also use Cardas RCA/XLR converters for attachment to my Mjolnir Carbon 3rd party Stax amplifier. The amp only accepts XLR inputs as there are no RCA’s in the back. Like the V281 and my Headamp GSX Mini, the Carbon also internally converts a single ended feed into balanced out for Stax headphones.

I believe you do not need to use the Cardas converters with the V281. You can just plug your RCA cables directly into it. I am connecting Linn Silvers RCA/RCA from my Klimax DS directly to the RCA’s on the back of the V281.

Unless someone has heard differently from Violectric I believe it does not matter how you feed the V281 - RCA or XLR. Both inputs are the same quality.

Best
Gregg

Which is the best Cardas cable for the HD800’s? My stock cable is fraying and will need replacing soon,

I learned about this after I used the Cardas converters. I had them for a long time.

Just letting you know about my understanding of the V281.
Obviously the less connectors/adapters in the mix the better things are… however I am sure you know that already.

What have people found about break in with the V281. Mine has been powered up for 24 hours.

I can see how Naim owners like this amp.

After a few days mine went completely wonky. So much so that I re-cheked all the connections and was worried I would have to send it back. It all came back on song quite quickly though, within a couple of hours.
I’ve not noticed any other burn-in issues after the first week.

I don’t know about break in. I left mine on for 2 weeks, playing random stuff. Did sound better than straight out of the box.

Once i felt happy it was burnt in, i now just switch it on as and when i want to use it, might not be the absolute max for sound to do it, but it still sounds great from cold.
Anyone else using hd800s as interested to know if you have messed with the gain switching, also the earth switch, but then i am coming direct from the dcs and so might be different to anyone running from a naim pre

I’m using HD800 S coming directly from my ND555 streamer/DAC. I’ve had the switches off since I got the V281. The volume seems OK so I haven’t changed it.

Cheers, so is the volume on the 281 about 12 o’clock, at the right listen volume? As i think you are ment to aim for this situation i believe, and adjust the switches to achieve this

I’ve got -12dB set at the back and rarely get to 12 o’clock. UQ2 as source (still waiting for the PS for my NDS) into Empyreans.

In my case, it’s about 11 with the switches off. I listen at relatively modest levels so I haven’t bothered to change anything. I just wish my NAC 252 had the capability to adjust the volume.
Bud

For anyone who might be interested in information, I was planted by the same issue. Finally I ordered an XLR cable, Statement model from Audio Sensibility, from Canada, for the Audeze LCD-XC, with the corresponding XLR-XLR 5m extension also Statement model. They have a website and the possibility to place orders from anywhere in the world. The difference single ended vs. balanced XLR, as stated above, is abysmal, and the Audio Sensibility cables are the best you can find for headphones, highly recommended, and I have no commission or anything like that.

2 Likes

Nordost Heimdall2 are a similar choice from a mainstream company. The headphone cable is terminated in balanced XLR. Also included are RCA and mini single ended attachments. XLR to XLR extension cables are available.
I’m using a Heimdall IC from my streamer/DAC to the V281 and Heimdall Ethernet cables.
Just another option.

Wow. Just checked mine with the Focal Clears and my HD 25s.
I’m more like 10:30. Much more and it starts to get uncomfortable. All gain set at 0db. I.e. as it came.
And btw, the modest HD 25s are surprisingly good. Closed back for when others are in the room, yes, more coloured adding bass and top. But punchy.