Violin Solo Recording

Looking for a good solo violin recording. With many vocalists I feel like the singer is in the room and am blown away with my system performance. However, I feel like violin music always sounds poor. Nothing like when my daughter actually plays for me.

Open to any ideas…

My system: Atom with Elac Uni-Fi

Not sure if it’s what you had in mind, but some of the greatest music (not just violin music) ever written are the six Sonatas and Partitas for violin by Bach. Dozens if not hundreds of recordings. Of the several sets I have, I would recommend Julia Fischer for sound quality.

3 Likes

There are so many to choose from; I don’t have any modern versions, but I enjoy these violinists:
Arthur Grumiaux
Henryk Szeryng
Itzhak Perlman

1 Like

Hilary Hahn’s Bach is also well recorded

HilaryHahnviolinHilaryH35033_f

Hilary Hahn Bach Fr

Claude

2 Likes

Have a listen to Anne Sophie Mutter or Duncan Chisholm

2 Likes

Thank you for all the replies! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have listened to some of these names, but not all. My daughter is a big fan of Hilary Hahn.

I am thoroughly enjoying Julia Fischer. Lots of new stuff to keep me busy for hours

I am still disappointed in the imaging with my system, but the Fischer recordings have improved things immensely!

Thanks to all - very much appreciate you taking time to respond

Have a listen to Alina Ibragimova. To me she’s one of the very best violinists around, playing with very little vibrato. Rachel Podger and Isabelle Faust are also wonderful. Try also John Holloway’s Bach recordings on ECM.

1 Like

Try Thomas Gould. Plays across many genres. I’ve lost count of the number of times I have seen him. Apart from versatility, performance, without fail, as well as the music, he always conveyed the sheer joy of performing, communicating with music.

try these:

Berio!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.