Vitus integrated amp v 552/500

Yes it’s an interesting one as the new streamers still in there infancy really and that stuck with the classic design

The thread is about integrated amps that can replace Naim separates. All these brands make big integrates, apart ATC…( however less boxes too with active ATC speakers).
So thanks, I am completely in the topic and no need to open anything else.
I have not heard Vitus SIA 025 and Gryphon Diablo, the reason of my interest here.
I would also be interested by a big integrated.

Given what’s been discontinued my wild speculation is a new Dac and a new Headphone amp. My dealer is adamant that there won’t be a 272.2, but I’m not so sure.

Apologies, I’ll stop digressing.

1 Like

Yes two dealers I have dealt with over the years have said the same on the 272. Who knows.

I wrote that list because these are solid state brands I could listen to since some years.
All these are making big integrated amps. I even forgot Dartzeel, which I would not take too to replace Naim.
For now the only one integrated amp I could have own is the Ear V 12. Marvelous and very involving for the price.

I have not heard Gryphon diablo, Vitus SIA 025 and MBL. Burmester makes one too, but I doubt it would please me.

I have not said that all these brands are inferior to Naim. Just not my taste.

3 Likes

Someone above called the SIA 025 ‘bad ass’; there’s only one bad ass integrated IMO…

9 Likes

They may have the same nominal output power rating, but the two amps are very different. The 250 is a regulated power amp, with DR, and with a layout that is not compromised by having to share the box with a preamp. Not that I’m trying to justify Naim’s US pricing!

Somewhat interesting the the top of the line Vitus pre amp and mono amps, “Masterpiece Series”,have separate power supplies.

What Rack is that, that the turntable and Gryphon are on?

I would be more convinced if the one box challenger was a class B amplifier. As it is, I think this is more a desire for a change in flavor rather than superior sound. That is a valid reason for a change, of course. Then there is the box count factor obviously in favor of these integrateds…

2 Likes

Only sensible.

+1

Not sure to my ears that amps can make such profound changes for the money as compared to source upgrades …

Atacama Evoque Eco Custom.

Just for curiosity, I discovered the MP 1201 integrated from Vitus. 250 lbs. 2X 700 W. 120 k euros. 1 box.
The Masterpiece monos are on the Statement level price.
If you want the Masterpiece phono for your rega p3, it’s only 60 k.

Thanks Mr. Eagle

1 Like

The OP attributes the perceived improvement to the fact that the Vitus is Class A - at least at lower volumes…

Thanks - I’ve seen some of the author’s series of videos and most are very interesting.

As others here have said, Class A amps in general (assuming well-executed) have their attractions over Class A/B - but Class A’s aren’t very polar bear friendly. It seems we’re almost back to the valve versus solid-state debates of yesteryear!

One of the dealers has stated that the Vitus doesn’t/shouldn’t need servicing but given all the heat from Class A operation, I’m struggling to understand how so.

A very interesting thread and a thankyou to @Dunc for posting his thoughts and findings (hopefully more to come).

3 Likes

Polar bear unfriendly - sadly true. They draw the maximum current required for maximum power at all times, including on idle. Gryphon, though, employ a system on their pre/powers which minimises this; I’m not aware of another brand that does the same. But, in the context of global electricity consumption, the removal of Class A units probably wouldn’t make much of a contribution…

1 Like