Vivid Speakers & Naim

The Giyas are too much like Pot Head Pixies (ref Gong). They’d have me reaching for the Rizlas before long and I haven’t smoked in 20 years.
The Kayas are the tellytubbies or a thumb waiting for the hammer.
But the Ovals seem pretty harmless, if slightly startled looking.

Not particularly good at explaining sound so bear with……It’s like the bass is really uneven and almost being sucked out leaving the highs to high. The whole sound is t as coherent as it was in my old house.

Play something like Suzanne Vega’s Toms dinner and it’s a delight with the vocals……

It’s miles better with the Room treatment but still not right.

Gary

It sounds like you have a room null situation…the room treatment will not cure it totally…try walking around the room with say 70hz tone playing…(or what ever bass frequency you consider is an issue try doing a sweep…I use an app on my phone and Bluetooth phone to ND555 and then go through the frequencies) and walk forward and back from your seating area and note where it is loud and quiet…then try putting your seat at the mid point between loud and quiet…that should be a sweet spot…

Love my Giya 3’s with 52/500DR. Music all around.

2 Likes

Had my purple smurfs (G3’s) for a few years. waved goodbye to the Kudos T88’s with never a last look. Have had some issues with little fingers and wreckless cleaners over the years but the fabulous chaps at Vivid were kind enough to come out and fit the Series 2 drive units, which have much better protection fitted, at a very reasonable cost. The sound is staggering. Love the clarity and realism. If my numbers ever came up I’de be ordering the G1 Spirit model and a Statement full pack in a matter of minutes and then try to find a space big enough to house them in. Probably have them in Imperial Guard Red :grin: instead of purple this time. I love the space age looks. Maybe its hereditary. I grew up in a house with ‘washing machine’ speakers in the living room. B&W DM70’s in white!

They are pretty radical design wise! I quite like the look of the ovals which is unlike me as I like a traditional looking speaker!

6 Likes

Blockquote

Thanks Rich, what app do you use?
Gary

Hi its on Android app store called Hz frequency Generator … you can dial in frequency then nudge the frequency along in one hz steps…its quite handy… the other good one is spectrum analyser… have a play and be careful of the volume … there is also a good sound meter on the App store…

Nice!
So glad to hear you love your Vivids. I’m sure I’d love them, but it’s just not meant to be. We are however looking at some speakers that do come in a variety of colors and finishes; may get some blue or maroon speakers yet.

Yeah I like these but I am not keen on the Barbarella stands…I also don’t like the S12 stands… just a personal thing…

Did you notice a big sound change with the new drivers? I’m using Music speaker cable, great combo. Have you tried the isoacoust Gaia feet? Heard they are impressive.

I do use Gaia feet they provided a nice uplift. The new drivers brought back more of the magic I’d been used to before the ‘accidents’

4 or 6 feet? Was thinking of trying them, free return on amazon.

i went for 4, 6 seemed overkill and they arent cheap but if you can return for free i would say order a full set and see if you can spot any difference. please do report back. my wallet hopes you dont hear anything :slight_smile:

Actually they cost the same. Six of the smaller vs 4 of the bigger. 4 is stable and looks good?

Due to the weight of the speaker I used the Gaia II’s 4 looks good asthetically to me and is very stable

The S12’s are still improving the imaging, space and detail are epic… the speed of bass is also very good. This is the best small speaker I have ever heard…the SL700SE has well and truly been totally eclipsed by a considerable margin. Epiceroo

I just installed these. Wow, the sound stage is huge, images soo clear. I was shocked. Not thrilled with the aesthetics but I’m all about the sound. Oh the bass, so clean and clear. Best $600 I spent in a while. Unfortunately they turned my speakers into penguins. Not the best looking, but man they sound great!

7 Likes

I also found the Gaias to be a very worthwhile upgrade. The difference can be startling. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Good, aren’t they!