Volume Imbalance on the SN3

There seems to be two issues of the XLO disc - Sheffield Labs or Reference Recordings.
I think they’re identical? Any preference which to go for, @Richard.Dane and @opus ?

I have the Reference Recordings XLO disc. I think it adds HDCD support and has different (and more) music tracks, but is otherwise likely similar.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. I’ll go for the RR then, as the HDCD will come in handy for my CD5X, pending its ‘shootout’ with the CD2…if I ever get round to it, lol.

2 Likes

The mono recordings I use are usually old jazz and Sinatra stuff. The image they create should still be spacious, but fully symmetrical. Vocals should be locked dead center (when present) and the image should always be symmetrical along the horizontal axis.

Another good source for mono audio is podcasts and/or YouTube videos with a single lappel mic.

I triple checked my SN3 setup, and also against my Line Magnetic LM805IA SET tube amp (also with an Alps volume control). Zero issues with the LM in terms of channel balance, except for the very bottom of the volume dial (which is expected). But then, the right channel is actually stronger. That doesn’t mean anything, but the imbalance goes away at any normal volume level that I use.

But I conducted these tests prior to reaching out to my dealer. Partially to speed the process but also to mitigate the possibility that I would look like a fool due to an obvious/unforced error on my part.

2 Likes

Not sure it matters except for the hdcd stuff that’s kind of obsolete. I use it for channel balance, phase, burn in track. I also downloaded a set of test tones they can be useful

2 Likes

I do have some HDCD discs - I only know this because the 5X said they were - that the CD2 ignores, just plays as normal. Can’t say I ever noticed a difference…

2 Likes

Oh I do on my 5XS. I have some original Roxy Music and ZZ Top CD’s and some reissues of the same encoded with HDCD. The latter sounds like the originals have woken up…much more life and clarity.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply!

I bought the album, but where did you find the booklet?

1 Like

Hi This link should take you to all the images for the album True Stereo (Unprocessed Analog Recordings) (2004, CD) - Discogs

I find its a great album to help with speaker positioning, after I have taken my system apart for its yearly cleaning service. Good luck

WolF

1 Like

Hi WolF,

the link unfortunately doesn’t work for me. Would you mind sharing the info for track 4 (Fred Simon, Poetspeak)? I already have the CD and listen to it frequently.

Hi Sorry the link did not work. I have added all the images for the complete album.

R-2163405-1267420066.jpeg.jpg

5 Likes

Thanks for the effort! For some reason I can see page 16, but not the other ones.

1 Like

I tried to play this CD online at YOUTUBE since I don’t have a CD player, and I could’t even pass the voice center test :slightly_frowning_face:
It’s a great test though.

Hi I have tested the link which starts when you move your mouse over the word beginning (True stereo ) >>> True Stereo (Unprocessed Analog Recordings) (2004, CD) - Discogs

The 18 images I posted are all showing at my end.

Good Luck

You can buy it as a download on Amazon.

1 Like

I couldn’t find where to download it on Amazon; I only saw an option for a physical copy.

Humm how about buying the cd then ripping it to your computer for play back Or is that a problem?

The problem seems to be iDevice related. I can see the images on my PC, but not on my iPad. Once again thanks!

2 Likes

My feedback: I bought an SN3 in October 2019, as soon as I plugged it in at home, I noticed an imbalance between the left voice and the right voice at low volume. I called my reseller, then Focal (because I am in France and they do the NAIM after sale service). I brought it back to my dealer who noticed the problem and exchanged it for me within 2 weeks.
Since then, it is only happiness … SN3 / HICAP DR / NDX2 / XPS DR / FOCAL SPECTRAL 40th

4 Likes

Really nice setup! I have been wanting to get a NDX2 since the day I got my system haha, not to mention the XPS DR. :joy:

I wonder if you can elaborate on your issue a little bit more. Did you notice the issue only with the vocals or the sound in general.

Right now, with more listening, I found that the vocals that I am hearing always leans towards the left still no matter what volume I am listening at. If I adjust the balance, the vocal would become a bit distorted.

Thank You!