Vuelta a España 2019

Running from Saturday August 24th to Sunday September 15th 2019
The Vuelta will be made up of 21 stages and will cover a total distance of 3272,2 kilometres.

• 6 flat stages
  • 4 hilly stages
  • 9 mountain stages
  • 1 individual time-trial stage
  • 1 team time-trial stage
  • 2 rest days

<>

STAGE TYPE DATE START AND FINISH DISTANCE DETAILS
1 Team Time-Trial Saturday, august 24, 2019 Salinas de Torrevieja > Torrevieja 13.4 km STAGE 1
2 Hilly Sunday, august 25, 2019 Benidorm > Calpe 199.6 km STAGE 2
3 Flat Monday, august 26, 2019 Ibi. Ciudad del Juguete > Alicante 188 km STAGE 3
4 Flat Tuesday, august 27, 2019 Cullera > El Puig 175.5 km STAGE 4
5 Hilly Wednesday, august 28, 2019 L’ Eliana > Observatorio Astrofísico de Javalambre 170.7 km STAGE 5
6 Hilly Thursday, august 29, 2019 Mora de Rubielos > Ares del Maestrat 198.9 km STAGE 6
7 Mountain Friday, august 30, 2019 Onda > Mas de la Costa 183.2 km STAGE 7
8 Hilly Saturday, august 31, 2019 Valls > Igualada 166.9 km STAGE 8
9 Mountain Sunday, september 1, 2019 Andorra la Vella > Cortals d’Encamp 94.4 km STAGE 9
- Rest Day Monday, september 2, 2019 Pau REST 1
10 Individual time-trial Tuesday, september 3, 2019 Jurançon > Pau 36.2 km STAGE 10
11 Mountain Wednesday, september 4, 2019 Saint Palais > Urdax-Dantxarinea 180 km STAGE 11
12 Mountain Thursday, september 5, 2019 Circuito de Navarra > Bilbao 171.4 km STAGE 12
13 Mountain Friday, september 6, 2019 Bilbao > Los Machucos. Monumento Vaca Pasiega 166.4 km STAGE 13
14 Flat Saturday, september 7, 2019 San Vicente de la Barquera > Oviedo 188 km STAGE 14
15 Mountain Sunday, september 8, 2019 Tineo > Santuario del Acebo 154.4 km STAGE 15
16 Mountain Monday, september 9, 2019 Pravia > Alto de La Cubilla. Lena 144.4 km STAGE 16
- Rest Day Tuesday, september 10, 2019 Burgos REST 2
17 Flat Wednesday, september 11, 2019 Aranda de Duero > Guadalajara 219.6 km STAGE 17
18 Mountain Thursday, september 12, 2019 Comunidad de Madrid. Colmenar Viejo > Becerril de la Sierra 177.5 km STAGE 18
19 Flat Friday, september 13, 2019 Ávila > Toledo 165.2 km STAGE 19
20 Mountain Saturday, september 14, 2019 Arenas de San Pedro > Plataforma de Gredos 190.4 km STAGE 20
21 Flat Sunday, september 15, 2019 Fuenlabrada > Madrid 106.6 km STAGE 21

<>

6 Likes

TEAMS

(The rider start list is still ‘provisional’ or incomplete, and subject to change…)

Lotto-Soudal (confirmed)
ARMÉE Sander
DE GENDT Thomas
HAGEN Carl Fredrik
MARCZYŃSKI Tomasz
VAN DER SANDE Tosh
VAN GOETHEM Brian
VANHOUCKE Harm
WALLAYS Jelle

Movistar Team
QUINTANA Nairo
VALVERDE Alejandro
AMADOR Andrey
CARAPAZ Richard

Team Jumbo-Visma
KRUIJSWIJK Steven
ROGLIČ Primož

Ag2r La Mondiale
GENIEZ Alexandre

Astana Pro Team

Bahrain-Merida

Bora-Hansgrohe
MAJKA Rafał

CCC Team

Deceuninck-Quick-Step

Groupama-FDJ

Mitchelton-Scott (confirmed)
GRMAY Tsgabu
SMITH Dion
SCHULTZ Nick
MEZGEC Luka
CHAVES Esteban
BEWLEY Sam
HOWSON Damien
NIEVE Mikel

Team Dimension Data
KING Ben
CAVENDISH Mark
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald

EF Education First
CRADDOCK Lawson
URÁN Rigoberto
VAN GARDEREN Tejay

Team Katusha-Alpecin

Team Ineos

Team Sunweb (confirmed)
ARNDT Nikias
KELDERMAN Wilco
PEDERSEN Casper
POWER Robert
ROCHE Nicolas
STORER Michael
TUSVELD Martijn
WALSCHEID Max

Trek-Segafredo

UAE Team Emirates
ARU Fabio

Cofidis, Solutions Crédits (confirmed)
EDET Nicolas
HERRADA Jesús
MATÉ Luis Ángel
HANSEN Jesper
ATAPUMA Darwin
TOUZE Damien
HERRADA José
LE TURNIER Mathias

Euskadi Basque Country-Murias

Burgos-BH

Caja Rural-Seguros RGA

1 Like

Thanks, I have started to appreciate the type of race the Vuelta is lately, perhaps also influenced by my Spanish girlfriend :smiley:

1 Like

Should please the Brits here to see Mark Cavendish selected for Team Dimension Data : )

I’m a little surprised of the Yates absence in the Mitchelton-Scott ‘confirmed’ team line up : /

Primož Roglic could be a prime contender for Team Jumbo-Visma, he finished this years Giro 3rd on the podium.

Movistar, despite the absence of Mikel Landa [who is Spanish], the inclusion of Richard Carapaz, who won the Giro earlier this year, with Amador, Valverde, and Quintana, are sporting a very strong team, and all excellent climbers.

Team Ineos playing their cards close to their chest, we will find out very soon : )

2 Likes

Can’t believe Doumolan is not competing as his injury didn’t seem so severe or really bad at the time and he would of had over two months of recovery as well since it happened. Must be much more serious than he was letting on!

2 Likes

The occupational hazard of cycle racing, on one hand these guys are among the fittest athletes on the planet, but cyclists can so easily get knobled in a crash.
I wish crashes didn’t happen so often, it’s not that they have any protection wearing lycra.

Meanwhile, Tom Dumoulin isn’t only out for the rest of the season due to his knee injury, but he’s unhappy in the Sunweb team which he’s contracted to be with until 2021. He wants to move to Jumbo-Visma.

1 Like

Hey! Maybe team Ineos wil take him for next season then they’ll have 5 potential leaders/tour winners all vying and competing to be the leader. Carapaz, Thomas, Bernal, Froome and Dumoulin. As it is there’s only four potential leaders for next years tour!!!

1 Like

I don’t think and hope so, even a move to Jumbo Vista might be interesting with two other strong riders already in the team…

Bert, looks like it’s happened already!

1 Like

UK freeview cheapskates will only see an hour of the highlights on ITV4 each day in the evenings,
and a repeat showing each following morning.

Live coverage is on Eurosport 1

<>

I’m thinking of subscribing to Eurosport just for one month [to cover la Vuelta] and costs £6.99, which is not so bad for HD viewing and maybe no advertisements (?)
But dunno if the subscribing process is easy?
do they send you a card to slot in the back of the telly?

If it’s satellite (?) then it’s no good for me, only have a digital aerial transmission : /

1 Like

How’s your broadband connection? I get most of my tele via streaming these days and a quick Google shows a lot of options for Eurosport - some of which may even be legal!

Too slow around here : (

Truth be known i ought to dump BT Broadbent, and get a satellite connection,
but for live coverage la Vuelta i could do with a simply quick fix : )

1 Like

We get Eurosport HD through BTSport. I think it’s a supplementary package?

Now the question is if the other change because of that, Steven Kruiswijk…, will he accept to be the 2nd card or will he want to leave…

We will need to wait until next year to find out what with Tom’s knee injury.
But it does seem to be the trend to have more than one top guy in the team capable of winning on general classification. They’ve probably come to realise the unpredictable can and does happen, not only with crashes but having a day inexplicably off form or even inexplicably on form, so why not have two or even three guys who are capable, and this also plays into the trendy tactic of confusion the opposition by sending one or other up the road to share the pressure, doing the old one-two. :grin:

1 Like

It was tongue in cheek as team Ineos will already have more than enough on their plate regarding who’s gonna be the leader at next years tour de france.

I think he’ll have to as i just don’t think he’s good enough to win a grand rour unlike Tom who has already done and is more than capable of winning the tour next year. There’s no doubt that Tom will need super domestiques to challenge the mighty firepower of team Ineos next year!

Yeah I think the problem of the Dutch riders in general is that they are very strong to follow and stay on track, but miss the power to have a quick acceleration away from the component. So they rely on not making a mistaking and hoping to crack the component in the long run. Guys like Bernal also have the additional punch to make a difference. Tom has as the exception of the rule become better at it all, but still only has the time trial as the ultimate weapon…, so let’s see what happens. It should be exciting in the coming season with so many great contenders back on their bikes.

It will be interesting to see what Prudhomme does with the parcours. Assuming Froome is back then Ineos will have cover in the event of either a route with a fair few kms of TT (Froome) or not many at all (Bernal). After this year PInot will be a challenger so I suspect the TT kms will be small.

Team Ineos reveal line-up for the Vuelta a España 2019

Tao Geoghegan Hart (GBr)
Wout Poels (Ned)
Owain Doull (GBr)
Kenny Elissonde (Fra)
Sebastian Henao (Col)
Vasil Kiryienka (Blr)
Salvatore Puccio (Ita)
Ian Stannard (GBr)

1 Like