Wall sockets or Power Surge Protector

I think people have always used them. In the past I had a Grahams Hydra. For the past few years I’ve had a smaller setup with only two mains leads, so I just used the double socket. Then I added a tuner and needed another socket so I tried a block out of curiosity, initially just with the two main boxes. I was really surprised at the change, with greater coherence and involvement. I could hear bits in the music I’d not heard before, which I wasn’t expecting. The block I bought was the MusicWorks Reflex Ultra G3. I’m sure there are other good ones too.

A mains block is likely just fine, but you need to ensure it isn’t hiding any surge protection or conditioning inside.

Malla, thanks for the reply, I just had a quick look at the WireWorld matrix, which does not come with power cable. Presumably you can connect to the wall with standard Naim power cable or any of the more exotic variety?

HH, thanks for the response, Over many years I have heard many Naim users advocate the benefits of a dedicated supply and the horrors of using mains blocks, so I was somewhat surprised by some comments on this thread. I finally have the opportunity to provide a dedicated mains, and have at last spoken to an electrician (also a music lover and Naim owner) who understands my request. Some research on the old forum also produced some excellent advice.
My system has five Naim boxes requiring mains supply plus a Linn turntable and tuner. Perhaps naively, I was hoping that the dedicated spur could provide a direct connection for each! But maybe now I only need a double socket and a mains block! Any thoughts on the way forward would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Richard.

I use a hospital grade olsen 8 way pdu without neon light or any surge protection or filtering. The sockets are clamp tight and this particular pdu is dual earth bonded, it’s also all metal and has an external earth pin and comes with a 25cm earth ground to connect to an earth pin wall socket connector. They look really attractive too with a honey beige colour. You can specify certain chararcteristics of the pdu such as if you want a connected shielded cable or an iec. I’m made up with mine.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.