Wanting to replace active ovator 600,6

Do I remember you having Kudos too, either 88 or 808 in that room, or was it just white 600s before the Proacs?

Yes, Iā€™ve had both S600ā€™s and T88ā€™s in my room. I canā€™t emphasize how much better the K6 Signatures are in comparison.

5 Likes

You will need custom cables made up for tri-amping. If that is too difficult for your dealer to arrange, I suggest selling the 250s + SNAXO + cables and put the money into a 300 DR plus speakers.

1 Like

I run the Ovator 600s with 4 x135s; the speakers replaced a pair of SBLs. Iā€™ve not noticed a lack of high frequencies, but then perhaps I donā€™t know what Iā€™m missing. Can you recommend a piece of music that would allow me to reassess the speaker?

I keep toying with adding a 250 or 300 (I donā€™t have space for another pair of 135s), but I had not considered changing speakers.

Yes itā€™s the organ pipe :slight_smile: well spotted

Thanks BigAl. We can get the active ATC speakers here but they are serioudy expensive and the money I would get/loose selling 3 X 250-2 would not go anywhere near the cost of the axctive ATC. If I had not gone down the Naim active path initially the ATC would really apeal. I have often fantasised about them .

1 Like

I use a bunch of albums to evaluate speakers:
Oscar Peterson Trio: Porgy & Bess - just piano bass and drums.
Joni Mitchell: Blue - because ive listened to it a million times.
Holly Cole Trio - Dont smoke in bed great opening track for bass test.
Mahler Symphony 2 - Benjamin Zander - serious test of speakers with the bass drum @ 1:57
Vieutemps : Viola and Piano music on Naxos
Ella Fitzgerald & Bassie - On the sunny side of the street
Anything on spiritofturtle.com and almost most anything on Channel Classics
Bach on the lute: Nigel North - old Linn recording but great

1 Like

pI Put a deposit down today on a pair of PMC MB2 SE. Possibly the leasy sexy looking speaker. I think I will be happy with them. I can attempt tri amping them with my existing 3X250-2 and if that fails to deliver, I can upgrade to a 300 - or go back to a NAD 3020 - I was happy with my system in those days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks - a great selection and Iā€™m pleased to note that I own most.
Iā€™ll set up a play list later.

I might add the gong from Shostakovichā€™s 10th. I vividly recall hearing it for the first time at the Proms and being astounded at its impact.

Thatā€™s a shame, potentially. They could have been an elegant solution.

Active Kudos another option utilising your power amps perhaps?

Wecome to the MB2se club Im sure you will be very happy with them, did you get a dem of them. I would think they will sound great tri amped , as they really show the benefit by just bi-wiring.

To get the most from them i can highly recommend using Townshend Podiums with them.

5 Likes

Very niceā€¦ā€¦ā€¦i have a hankering for those speakersšŸ˜

1 Like

They look great! Iā€™m really excited to get them. I didnā€™t get a demo as they had none on the floor. But I did hear a pair of twenty5 26i and was left gobsmacked. The speed, delicacy and power was really impressive. So I can only imagine the MB2SE will be a significant step up in scale at least.

Did you put the room treatment in after the purchase of the MB2SE ?

Oh no :flushed: what have you done :man_shrugging:

Ha - had to wait over 2 months for the burndy cable for the supercapDR/superline combo

Wonderful to have it I must say

Mind you 2 more items arriving shortly

Linn Kandid cartridge for LP12 ARO and the Neat Petite 30th anniversary stand mount speakers , only 100 pairs manufactured , updated version of the first speakers neat manufactured 28 years ago . Canā€™t wait for both to arrive

Never stops, what a hobby and what fun :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Wow! Iā€™d be very interested in hearing how you get on with those little gemsšŸ˜ƒ

The room was built as a dedicated listening room , with no pretence to be an all purpose living room. As such it was designed to allow for full treatment.

I actually started the treatment while using my previous Rega RS 10 speakers , and continued after buying the MB2se. Treatment was done with a lot of research and help from GIK. But even then i used a final trial and error system to finalise panels used and position to give results i wanted.

In total i used a mix of GIK Tri-Traps , 242 panels , Monster bass traps , some diffusion plates , giving a total of 34 to achieve desired results.

If you thought the twenty5 25i were good wait till you get the MB2se :wink:

1 Like

Wow that is a dream to have a room dedicated to audio. I donā€™t think I could get away with treatment In my space. The speakers alone not the prettiest things :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.