"Warning Error Code 238" Uniti Nova

Same here. Changed batteries, but didnt need to. Last time remote became unresponsive, Naim app on iPhone still worked to adjust audio levels BUT would not put Nova into standby. Had to reboot. It’s been OK since, but - hasten the patch. HDMI involvement makes sense, as I was using Nova with broadcast/PVR at the time.

Did anybody know if Naim is working on solving this problem? It seems to be a software issue…

Yes, please my post above from March 4th.

1 Like

New member here and new Naim owner… have a Uniti Star since April 4th and have same issues post 3.4 firmware update. Error Code 238 and general unresponsiveness caused me to hard reset 5 times within first 6 days. Thought it was HDMI auto switching and turned that off and things seem more stable. Past 4 days, had to hard reset twice due to the error and each time, it’s triggered by using the remote to either switch input or advanced tracks while I was streaming either Tidal or Spotify. Once the code appears, I can get it to disappear by switching input to say HDMI again with phone app only (remote no longer works)… and back to Tidal/Spotify, but no more sound output and general unresponsiveness with the front panel buttons. The power button soft reset doesn’t work either… so hard reset by unplugging again. Seem like the remote is part of the issue. Have to say, star sounds pretty good but really buggy for a 2 year old product… has this always been the case for the Uniti series?

Hi and welcome @jimhwu.
I certainly didn’t have this warning code before the last “update” on either of my Novas, I thought Naim would have a fix by now but we are living/surviving in unusual times. I’m sure Naim will be on the case soon.

jimhwu,

please see my post above from March 4th. AFAIK Naim are working on a solution, but in the meantime;

Thank you both. Yes, I reached out to Naim support and did try a full factory reset. Unfortunately, it still happens. For sure software issues. They advised me to send it in for repairs but they are not working in the UK which is totally understandable. In light of everything in the world, this is not high priority compared to safety and health! I’m chatting with my dealer to see options in due time. It does sound great when working though!

Hi,

I have this Error 238 too, I have Uniti Nova. Using Tidal via Naim app or Original Tidal app or selecting between USB and HDMI. Have contacted with Russell from support, got recomendations about reseting device, it’s not help. Take off power cord each time it’s real pain for me. Device is good, but thats kind of bugs in 21 century, for this brand it’s not the best ad for brand, peoples spend at first money, then nerves and time.

Dear Richard,

I was spent some time to read this forum, and find interesting idea, Uniti users lives now from update to update, in forum topic “Uniti software update is here!” you was wroted to user with nikname Ron 07.2019 about Naim support team and communication with clients, but if you can find first news about Error 238 was showed at 05.2019 now in this forum topic, you show for us you meassage about very small number of cases, I was 3 times tried reset Nova, 238 shows again. And it’s show much more after last updating from the 10.2019 from the anounce of the new software. From october now it 7 months, when Uniti users can wait a normal update without bugs and Error 238? From very small number of case till large, how many messages Naim must get? At this Covid-19 time is hard to walk around dealers and tell them about that kind of issues, again they answer about if device will sended to factory it’s might be till 1-1,5 months till it came back, because logistic are busy now. So what we gona do, what recomendations you can give us? Sitting at home without music it’s hard. Thanks in advance!

Dezhurnij, as I have posted above, if a full factory reset does not clear the problem (which it should ion most cases) then Naim ask that you contact Naim support.

Sorry edited. I See from your post you have contacted them. I would stick with support and tell them exactly what occurs and that their fix does not fix it for you. I know that R&D are working on fixing this but I sent know where they are with it at the moment. As you have the issue though and the reset doesn’t fix it, I’m sure they would be most interested to know why.

Richard, thanks for your quick answer, I must comunicate with Russell from support again? Is it possible fix this Error 238 distantly? Without sending this device to dealer or factory? I supose any user can give at this moment MAC adress or other options (if they want ofcourse) for including to the system for testing?

I don’t know I’m afraid. That would have to be advised by Naim.

Richard Dane = Naim

Unfortunately these days I’m not at the factory so I’m rather removed from the day to day at Naim. Your best bet is to keep in touch with them and let them advise you or your dealer.

It’s ok few days will not solve anything. If .it happens in near future

For me, Russel advised me to factory reset which doesn’t work (tried 3 times) and he suggested I sent it in for repairs but UK factory is closed so no repairs can be done. I contacted my dealer and he organized a replacement Star to be sent out. Still waiting on word after my Star got to Naim America last Thursday. I do think this is all software related - builtin streaming functions and the bluetooth remote all triggered 238 code. If I purely use say… optical inputs, no issues at all. I used my own chromecast audio via optical and listened for better part of two days with no error codes prior to sending it in.

Jimhwu, but it’s streamers! ))) Main usability it’s stream music, hi-res or other via wi-fi and bluetooth. If not I’v just must buy good amplifer include DAC with USB port, and thats all, without any streaming posibilities, and thats costs 10 times cheaper than my Nova. The price what Naim ask for their devices I belive it’s at first quality, quality and again quality. This quality in all, sound, tech, in Uniti series Design. If it’s not true so I must just buy FM stereo reciver from 1980 for 2 Eur and don’t spend peoples time here )))

1 Like

I agree with you. The Uniti series and all builtin functions should work as designed and it’s very buggy… hence I worked with my dealer on a replacement unit. I have my doubts that it will be bug free or resolved but it’s worth a try.

I have had nothing but problems with my STAR and have had no luck with mt local dealers in the SFBay Area and Reno, NV - Error 238 is a new messed up software to me. I really miss my Linn CD and integrated amp. Didn’t rip, but it played music. Richard

Did you contact Naim support? I would do it and they will tell you to do a factory reset which won’t work… but the point is to go through the motions with them a couple of times so they can tell you to send it in for repairs/replacement and then you can work with your dealer on a rma. That’s what I did after owning the Star for only 2 weeks w/ tons of issues. Of course, the covid situation meant Naim NA in Canada was on minimum staff until 1-2 weeks ago… I waited for a month with no word from Naim NA on my replacement after I sent it in. So, I decided to just move on from Naim and my dealer was great about it and we worked out another integrated to replace the Star. I think you will have faster turn around now that they are back… so it’s worth the try.