Watch weirdness

Happy to be of service.

I’ll just stick to my Tudor and be happy with one watch consistency.
86400 seconds in a day and this is a worry.
If you want accuracy to that level then the wonder of a mechanical watch with infinite variables isn’t for you.
Casio.is the one.

1 Like

That’s not entirely the point; if it’s advertised as 5 seconds per day, that’s what it should deliver. It’s going back for checking and hopefully can be fixed or exchanged.

1 Like

Didn’t see in your post is was advertised as so.
I’d get rid you’ll always be "watching"it.
Did you get the Tudor springbars back.?

Watches on a winder could run slow because they are held vertically, however a 30 sec. difference seem too much.

I’d definitely take it back to the jeweller. They will put it on a Timegrapher which they then measure in seconds its accuracy. Then they tilt it at various degrees and retest to ensure it is consistent. It sounds like a problem with a jewel setting to me - possibly over oiled, or not oiled, or perhaps one of the bridges are not fully screwed down. I’m no expert though, just watched lots of watch repairing videos specifically from “Wristwatch Revival”.

They should, agree. Yet, when I wore my Sub riding motorcycles, it was clearly not happy and running 2-3 minutes fast after a day of riding. Granted, these bikes were 4 stroke singles and V-twins so some resemblance with a pneumatic drill. :thinking: :blush:

Re the spring bars yes, I got them back thanks. This is what Oris have to say about the accuracy of their 403 movement.

1 Like

Looks like a fine watch and I remember you changing a watch recently and I concurred entirely with your dial colour choice.
I’m sorry to hear this is happening and hope with it being as new as it is then a happy outcome should be guaranteed.
There are so many variables it’s very difficult to pin down.
Before I bought my Tudor I really fancied one of the Oris big crown pro pilot models but when I seen the Black Bay I couldn’t resist.
Hope it gets sorted for you. :+1:t2:

I bought a rolex several years ago and it ran fast from the off. I took it back, the retailer claimed to have sent it off for checking, got it back with a declaration that it was running within tolerance. It was awful and I was a fool for leaving it at that and putting up with a watch running fast. It was only when I had it serviced a year or so ago that I was hit with the revelation that rolex are not crap watches - it keeps fantastic time now.

If returning your watch, which I think you should do, it would be well worth the effort to accompany the watch with your detailed notes describing the nature of the problem, particularly as you have this very odd disparity of performance on the wrist and on the winder. Really good advice about taking record photos of your watch also - I had a terrible experience with an old omega which had the face and case damaged whilst under the care of a retailer.

Hope you get sorted out and fascinated to learn if there is a logical explanation for the problem.

Peter

The curse of the Explorer?

My 18th century long case clock keeps better time than one of my Casios and one of my Seikos. :slightly_smiling_face:
The best timekeeper I have is my late 1970s digital watch and my Tissot Seastar is really quite good for a 60’s mechanical watch in need of a service.

Maybe needs a new battery " not the long case " :joy: :+1:t2:

1 Like

The long case needs a new rope! :slightly_smiling_face:

Good wind up :wink:
At least if it’s stopped it’s spot on twice a day. :joy: :+1:t2:

LOL, I’ve got the new rope but it has to be spliced so I have to wait until my missus has the time to do it. The existing rope is very thin on the splice and I don’t want a 9lb lead weight plummeting to the floor.

That would be an alarming clock. :thinking: :joy:

2 Likes

I have a Tudor Black Bay 41. It keeps very good time. Problem is it only gives its 38 hours of power reserve when fully wound.

I also have 2 quartz watches a Seiko ProSpec diver Solar. Keeps great time And a Movado Series 800 which also keeps great time.

BB41 is a lovely watch I love mine.
Between wearing it through the week I only give it a wind once a week or so when it gets a bath. :bathtub:
No hardship. :+1:t2:

The BB41 is indeed lovely, but I sold my blue one as it was too thick. The 58 is 2mm smaller, but critically, that bit thinner. It’s good to have a choice.

The Oris is packed up and Mrs HH is taking it to the post office for me, as I’m not allowed out. We though we should get it done asap in case she tests positive as well; she checked earlier and she is ok. Hopefully she stays that way. Hopefully they will do a straight replacement rather than a repair, but I’m sure it will be fine. These things happen.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I’ll let you know what happens in due course.

4 Likes