Watches

I have had this IWC Ingenieur for 6 years now
images

Seiko is one of the most respected watchmakers. The quality and fit and finish is second to non - or actually better than most and he polishing is on par with the very best of the Swiss manufactures.

Neither do I !

The most accurate time that I use is generated by the GNSS system in our aircraft or in my i-Pad. I use it for navigation. The timing is accurate to a few billionths of a second and gives good, accurate nav fixes. Very, very occasionally the system fails but the clock in the a/c GNSS system keeps time for general purposes accurately enough, until the GNSS system is up and running and can reset the a/c clock.

Legally I do need the actual time to be accurate to within +/- 30 seconds for position reports etc but the a/c system as above is good enough. However, it’s nice to have a standby on my wrist. The Seiko that I have does drift, but it’s a predictable drift of 3 secs per fortnight, so I don’t have to keep re-setting it very often. I can easily make a mental adjustment to get UTC time to within about 2 seconds, even 3 months after re-setting. A similar watch to the one I have, would probably cost about £250, but most Quartz watches will keep accurate-enough time.

However, I have begun to think about a VHP watch, in which the crystal is temperture compensated and timing thus kept to better than 5 secs per year. It’s a mixture of convenience and, providing the watch looks nice to me, unecessary “pride”. Longines make a watch that meets these criteria for me, and retails for about a grand ie £1k. I don’t “need” it, but I am considering it.

Mrs D offered to buy me a Breitling a year or so back, for one of those “milestone” birthdays. I asked her not to. I personally don’t like their Colt Quartz range which start at c.£3k and although I like the look of some of their mechanical range, I didn’t want her spending c.£5k to £10k for a watch that could only keep accurate time to a few seconds a day.

Nonetheless, we all have differnt outlooks on life. “Bling isn’t my thing”. But a nice watch to me, has to look nice (impossible to define, we each have our own interpretation) and has to keep steady, predictable time, to within a few seconds each month.

Citizen eco drive, solar powered, no battery changes to worry about, good time keeper…job done.

I have a few watches, but tend to wear this Heuer Monaco and an Ebel the most. I had a slight problem when buying the Monaco and TAG Heuer customer services were fantastic. They sent me two giant photograph prints of the Steve McQueen ad they use. The Ebel was bought in 1996 and has a very good Zenith El Primero movement.

I do like the Rolex Sea-Dweller. That will be one day. It’s one of those watches that needs to be seen in real life to be really appreciated.

I sometimes think I could enjoy music on a much less expensive setup & I’m far from convinced expensive cables make things sound better. I don’t get why people spend lots of money on expensive noisy cars when the future is autonomous electric cars with no driver required (hope this happens sooner rather than later). Why do people have tattoos (waste of money IMO)? Questions, questions, questions come in to our minds today, but it’s a great time to be alive …

I doubt very much my wind up watch tells the time as accurately as my phone or any watch with a battery. However, I still like it.

Yes, the primary function of a watch is to tell the time - but watches are also a fashion accessory, in that they are often visible and therefore akin to wearing a bracelet. Some people like to wear different watches according to how they are dressed or where they are going - and like other matters of fashion different people have their own idea of what looks good. (Some watches are available with interchangeable bezels etc, so you can use the same watch but alter its colour to match your clothes!) For some people wearing a prominent recognisable type of watch widely known to be expensive is a statement of wealth - while other people even if wealthy prefer not to make it obvious.

I have worn a watch since I was a kid, and refer to it, often not consciously, many times during the day, though these days spending so much of the time using some form of computer the time is visible in fromt of me, so the habit is reducing, but I still feel lost if I don’t have a watch. From the opposite angle, my son has a friend who wears both a wristwatch and pocket watch (at the same time). Last time he visited he left his wristwatch in the bathroom. I don’t recall the brand, to me a hideous thing with a diameter nearly as wide as my wrist and maybe a centimetre thick, but I noticed it wan’t running. On commenting to him he said yes, the battery died a few months ago but it didn’t matter as he never looks at it, only using his phone for the time!

If anything, probably the opposite, a £15 Casio probably does the job better. But that’s missing the point, it’s really just jewellery for blokes who like the idea that it’s also useful.

Love the eco-drive. No problems in 6 years.

No expense spared.
Accurate to within 5 sec/month.
I have a couple of decent ones in the drawer, nothing like a lot of those posted here though but this is the only one that ever gets used.

Felt the same thing. It didn’t make me feel it.

I bought a new quartz Heuer 980.006L in 1983 and paid $300. A well preserved one is worth well over $1000 today. I also like Seiko divers and got a SPB051 lately :wink:

Had this for about 4 years now.

I’m glad its not just me then, i waited 7 or 8 years until i could afford to do it and then another 18 months to get one an I knew it was a mistake when i wore it the first time…

…i do have a bit of a thing for the black and blue/batman GMT2 though…

Can someone enlighten me, please, because I have always been puzzled by the fact that some watches have three addttional small dials, typically showing 60 in increments of typically 5 (seconds or minutes?), 30 or 60 in increments of typically 2 (secs or mins?) , and 12 or 24 in increments of 1 (presumably hours) - see images copied below. Given that the watches all tell the time and have a sweep second hand, what do these dials show and what is their purpose? Maybe the hour one is for a different time zone, e.g. for business, or when awayon holiday? Potentially one might be a stopwatch function, though not very precise?

And does anyone with a watch having these functions actually use them? (Asked obviously partly because of my ignorance as to what they are for.)

I’ve got a few auto and manual watches that are on the rotation but this Longines “Greenlander” is the only one I treasure as it was a gift from my late brother about 45 years ago when he was a watchmaker.

I recall a conversation with my brother-in-law a few years ago which I found quite illuminating. We were out for lunch with him and his wife a couple of weeks after his birthday. He works in insurance.
After about 30 minutes of ostentatiously looking at his left wrist every 30 seconds or so, he eventually broke down and asked what we thought of his birthday present from his wife! It turned out to be a Rolex, very small diameter (maybe 35mm) with a strange pinky red and blue face. Not my taste at all, but made the right noises, to be then regaled with its price and provenance for 10 minutes. We were told of his bosses, who apparently own at least 7or 8 Rolexes each, and hold the opinion that you haven’t ‘arrived’ in insurance broking if you haven’t got a Rolex/Omega/Patel Phillipe for every day of the week.
Fortunately we haven’t seen them socially since - I’m not sure I could endure another session without giving my opinion on that type of ownership!

I understand there are men who like to wear jewellery, although I’m not one. I can understand the pleasure obtained from ownership of things of beauty, particularly when combined with craftsmanship and quality engineering. I can, sort of, understand the compulsion to collect.

What I can’t be doing with is the social ‘oneupmanship’ some seem to delight in, whether it’s with watches, cars or hifi. ‘We’re considerably richer than yow’, à la Harry Enfield, just leaves me cold.

If you look at mine IB, you will notice that the tip of the minute hand, as opposed to the hour hand, actually oversails the minute markers and makes the time much easier to be reliably read. The seconds counter is the small dial at 6 o’clock showing 35 secs.

The long. thin hand pointing at 12 o’clock, is a sweep second hand used as a stop watch. The small dial at 12 o’clock tracks the minutes on the stop watch function. The stop watch functions are controlled by the two small buttons at 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock.

I use the stop watch functions every day to time “Holding paterns” (4 minutes) and “outbound/inbound” legs on approaches to land in bad weather. (we also use distance measuring equipment and other gizzmos, but if these fail, the old stop watch is useful).

We used to use the stop watch to time the run-in from an initial point to a target. but i’ll leave details of that in the past :sunglasses:

If I see an ostentatiously expensive watch on a salesman I know he is making too much money and I won’t buy whatever he is selling, be that an insurance salesman or secondhand car dealer!

Ah… well Tony; respectfully I think that is where you went wrong. Looking at the face of the watch it’s clearly marked that it’s only ‘certified to 200 metres’ . If you chose to use it outside of it’s normal operating parameters by taking on a plane back to home, reaching altitudes of 26,000 feet what do you expect?..