Watches

Thanks, Don - makes sense now!

My everyday watch…

My 2 battery operated dress watches from early 90’s and still in service. Not collectible grade, but accurate and I love the look and style.

I have that “Kermit” – one of the Rolexes I have not sold off. It’s a real classic :slight_smile: The other I’ve kept is my James Cameron Special Edition DEEPSEA DBLUE

When I was in the service industry, I adhered to this and did not own or wear an expensive watch. I did not think it sent the right message to my clients. Something nice and appropriate, yes. The same with cars.

But sales people - not so fast. A successful salesperson may very well make for a better transaction than an unsuccessful one. If I get the price I want, I’d much rather deal with the “pro” or “expert” who sells the most; they likely have the best pull if something goes wrong, or if I want something that is hard to get, etc. I don’t care if they’ve made gobs of money off of others, so long as I get the price that I want.

These are chronographs – they have a stop watch timing function. Typically quite accurate.

All watches convey the hours and minutes. After that, everything they do beyond that is a “complication” and the more complications, or the more intricate the complications, the more interesting the watch is to some people. A date window is a complication - albeit not a very complicated one! Same with a second hand.

A chronograph function is a popular complication. It’s not a useful one to me really - although people do use it to time their steaks on the barbecue, parking meters, etc. Mostly it makes a watch look “sporty” usually and people often like the look of those little sub-dials. I think the most expensive watch to date sold at auction was Paul Newman’s Rolex Daytona – a chronograph. Daytonas have a “tachymeter” scale whereby if you time a car driving for a mile, it’ll read your average speed in miles. Back before electronic stopwatches, those were relatively useful on a wristwatch.

The subdials often show seconds (the hand moves 360 degrees in a minute), minutes (360 degrees can represent 15 minutes, or 30 minutes) and hours.

Interesting that Genuine/Authentic (inserted for clarification) Rolexes have become more difficult to purchase, and Rolex strictly restrict supply. For example the waiting list for an all stainless steel Cosmoograph Daytona (‘Paul Newman’ style) varies between 8 and 10 years. Only about 2% of all Daytonas produced are in stainless steel.

One of the reason is that, new, these are around the £10k price point, however if you look at watchfinders, you’ll see them going for £14-15k. To prevent (reduce) this ‘profiteering’ happening, Goldsmith jeweller group have informed everyone on their waiting list that they will withhold the warranty documentation for the watch from owners for the first year, and if anyone objects, then they will be removed from the waiting list.

Interesting approach…

ATB. George.

For me it’s one part jewelry (I wear a wedding ring and a watch, no other bracelet or necklace or chain or anything), and one part a very interesting blend of art design, industrial design, and engineering. The latter is what really draws me to wristwatches.

for me, i was just looking the hour. The 3 little “ cadrans” ( in english?) may not have any functions, but look nice. This lapizta watch is a tribute to racing cars.

Thanks Bart

A friend of mine 15 years or so picked up a Rolex Oyster perpetual in Beijing for a fiver. I looked online and even in the the local jewellers…I could not tell the difference. I still have mine somewhere, it was a lousy timepiece, but was jewelled and self winding. But as my friend found out whilst chopping logs for the fire…not shock resistant😃

FIFY (fixed it for you) as we say :slight_smile:

100% the same here. I think that there are just a few categories of expenditure on stuff where paying more can actually make sense. Art (if you love it), quality musical instruments and quality jewellery. Great watches fall into the latter category. The law of diminishing returns is not so strong in these things.

Whilst I am not certain about the specific models you mention, I suspect you’re wrong - its simply that most of them are being sold at much lower prices in places like Hong Kong and China where the high volume sales clearly justify the low prices: maybe up to $50 or $100 for the most exclusive ones (Hong Kong dollars that is = £5-£10). All definitely declared as real genuine 100% - just as Tony found in Bankok. Tempting to bring a case full back and offer them to a jeweller at half the wholesale price he pays…

Yes you get what you pay for…if you wanted to look cool for 1 day and chop logs…not a bad deal. If it was like my love for music and Naim, pretty stupid. Buy a real Rolex, real Naim for the real deal.

It Was the same thing when I ordered my iwc watch. That the downside living in a spot where we only have one retailer, selling omega, oris and breitling. None of those I prefer

i like this design, and you?

they are not expensive, original, and very light to wear. More sportswear fashion or artist.

Top down view of a slightly unusual toilet!

very kind! you are probably more Rolex fan, …made in China.