Wayne Shorter RIP

A giant. RIP Wayne Shorter

Saw him play twice with Weather Report, extraordinary one minute incendiary the next quiet lyrical and the interplay with Joe Zawinul was remarkable. And what a great writer too. Saw the Guardian called him “one of the greatest saxophone players of the Bebop era” One of?

3 Likes

Very sad. The term legend is frequently rolled out when a musical great passes but in this case it certainly applies.

4 Likes

Amazing contribution to music, RIP & thank you. In current rotation (Beyond The Sound Barrier):

1 Like

Wayne Shorter was without doubt a giant – but, without wishing to derail the thread, the above statement is just not true. It is universally acknowledged by jazz historians that the most significant player in the music is Louis Armstrong. Without him and his innovations of the 1920s (principally the improvised solo), there is no jazz as we understand it. Miles Davis himself acknowledged this, and one only has to listen to Satchmo’s Hot Fives and Sevens recordings to understand this. And as a virtuoso trumpet player, Armstrong is simply unmatched (even when he started to run out of puff in the 1960s).

As for the most significant composer, there is nobody to rival Duke Ellington, who wrote thousands of tunes, including more standards than anyone else. Duke’s invention, wit, ability to create colour and mood, as well as to push the boundaries of jazz, and to create miniature three-minute symphonies and suites vast in their scope, complexity and ambition, are completely without precedent in jazz. Duke is not only the greatest composer in jazz, he may well be the greatest American composer of the 20th century; and there is a case for him as the greatest 20th century composer, full stop.

7 Likes

Probably the best jazz gig I have ever seen was Wayne with his quartet (Brian Blade, Danilo Perez and john Pattitucci) at the Philharmonie in Luxembourg City back in 2016. The interplay between the four musicians was incredible. Even in his eighties, Wayne’s gifts were undiminished.

1 Like

I think the last time I saw him was at the Barbican, either Nov 2016 or 2017. The second half was with the small chamber ensemble - I guess that must have been his last UK performance. First rate, as per usual with his concerts, a consummate professional and visionary artist.

1 Like

I never saw him live in concert but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to some selections last night.

1 Like

He is a true legend, a legitimate giant of jazz, and a genuine American treasure. He is one of my all-time favorite jazz musicians. Equally brilliant as a composer, band leader, sideman to others and saxophone improvisor. He will be missed and remembered by many.

RIP Wayne Shorter (1933-2023). 89 years of greatness is tremendous.

I especially love his Blue Note output, and have all but two of those titles. I also have his Vee-Jay records, the first eight Weather Report albums, and quite a lot of his Blue Note recordings as a sideman. His musicianship is amazing, among other things.

5 Likes

It depends on the period of reference. Miles Davis crossed 50 years of jazz history, Wayne Shorter around 70 years. For me these musicians are more innovative than Amstrong or Duke.
However, for the jazz purists, jazz died in 1967, with the death of Coltrane.
So I feel many theories can exist, even if yours is probably the most shared.

1 Like

I have seen Wayne Shorter in the 80’s, with Weather Report, in Jazz Juan Les Pins. In the same years, same festival, with Santana.
Wow moments!

4 Likes

Yes i saw him with Santana as well

3 Likes

Wow I lived briefly in Juan-Les-Pins. Good memories

1 Like

It was at the Barican, in 2016, with the Blade/Perez/Pattitucci quartet - I was there and it was amazing. The Luxembourg gig a few weeks later was even better.

1 Like

There are some purists who believe jazz died when Charlie Parker came along, or when Miles went electric. The old joke jazzers tell is that according to Wynton Marsalis, jazz died when Buddy Bolden was incarcerated in 1907!

And there’s another sort of person who believes that jazz didn’t exist before the war.

1 Like

I remember you, you were sitting 2 seats further me and smoking a big cigar . I had my beers.

3 Likes

Lucky man ! It’s a wonderful area. Have you been in that jazz festival?

1 Like

Who says that? That’s new to me. I’ve never heard such a thing. I wouldn’t call them purists. I’d call them ignoramuses. LOL

Jazz never dies, but it does reinvent itself at times, based on what came before. That’s why people like Armstrong, Duke, Parker, Miles, Coltrane, etc are considered such important influences.

I think I’ll mention that to Joe Harley. I’m sure he will get a good laugh.

2 Likes

No unfortunately. I was too young to appreciate good music at the time.

1 Like

71UmMKS8m3L.AC_UY436_QL65
I have been contemplating the Kevin Gray remaster and as I was in Fopp today… playing now and it is a very fine mastering. My old copy was good but this is much better!

I once saw Mr Shorter described as the finest ‘colourist’ in jazz. It wasn’t a negative comment but rather that in either his own band or with other bands he brought something extra to the tune. Something that gave nuance and texture to the piece. Even when he was a band leader he allowed others to breathe into the music. Night Dreamer remains my favourite but this and The All Seeing Eye are close seconds. Although Etcetera…

8 Likes